iMacros 5.2.1 broke my webpage/bookmarklets

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
geleto

iMacros 5.2.1 broke my webpage/bookmarklets

Post by geleto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello,
I have a web page that generates imacros scripts and runs them as bookmarklets.
Today after iMacros got updated to 5.2.1 the generated bookmarklets no longer work, here's an example:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function() {var m = "VERSION BUILD=7401110 RECORDER=FX\nTAB T=1\nURL GOTO=http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php\nWAIT SECONDS=0.3\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/main.pl ATTR=ID:Lat CONTENT=42.69\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/main.pl ATTR=NAME:Lon CONTENT=24.75\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/main.pl ATTR=VALUE:Continue\nWAIT SECONDS=0.25\nTAG POS=4 TYPE=SELECT FORM=NAME:NoFormName ATTR=NAME:m CONTENT=2\nTAG POS=4 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=NAME:NoFormName ATTR=VALUE:Go\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/profile1.pl ATTR=VALUE:Next>>\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/profile2.pl ATTR=NAME:metdate CONTENT=$October<SP>11,<SP>2012<SP>at<SP>12<SP>UTC*\nTAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:RADIO FORM=ACTION:/ready2-bin/profile2.pl ATTR=NAME:hgt&&VALUE:1\n", n = "Forecast";if (!/^(?:http|file)/.test(document.location)) {}var div = document.getElementById("imacros-bookmark-div");if (!div)alert("iMacros plugin not detected");var ta = document.getElementById("imacros-macro-container");ta.value = m;div.setAttribute("name", n);var evt = document.createEvent("Event");evt.initEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true);div.dispatchEvent(evt);}) ();
This still works in Mozilla
I think the new version no longer inserts "imacros-macro-container" div into the document.

I tried replacing the related code with

Code: Select all

try
{
    var macro={};
    macro.name="Forecast";
    macro.source=m;
    console.log(m);
    var evt = document.createEvent("CustomEvent");
    evt.initEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true, macro);
    window.dispatchEvent(evt);
}
catch(evt)
{
    alert("iMacros error: "+evt.toString());
}
... but this did not work - I see a message : You are about to play macro "undefined"."And if I choose to edit the source I see "undefined" in the edit box
Tom, Tech Support

Re: iMacros 5.2.1 broke my webpage/bookmarklets

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi geleto,

Thanks for the report! I have logged this for further investigation by the development team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
drenken

Post by drenken » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm

I had several as well that can no longer be read from bookmarks. Unsure what the criteria is, as some were newer and some older.

As it will be a pain to recreate them, please ask developers to provide import ability from orphaned bookmarklets.
(If there's already a way to input the javascript into a iMacro file, let us know.)

-Thanks in Advance for a prompt resolution.
DeuceBigalow

Post by DeuceBigalow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 am

None of my macros are working after I too installed v 5.2.1 of iMacros. Too bad I can't travel back in time... :(
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is some feedback from the development team...
Yes, the bookmarklet format has changed. All the bookmarked macros are updated automatically on add-on update. To maintain backwards-compatibility with bookmarklets embedded on web-pages we added on-the-fly transformation.
This may have caused some unforeseen issues, so the more details you can provide us the better we will be able to troubleshoot.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Another update:

The development team has confirmed the issue and is researching a solution. Thank you for being patient!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:37 pm

One update: Bookmarked macros still work ok when played from the iMacros sidebar, but not when played from chrome bookmarks bar and chrome menu.

We continue to research this (note for experts: the imacros chrome extension contains the full iMacros for Chrome source code, so if you detect something, please let us know).
geleto

Post by geleto » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes, the bookmarklet format has changed. All the bookmarked macros are updated automatically on add-on update. To maintain backwards-compatibility with bookmarklets embedded on web-pages we added on-the-fly transformation.
In my case the bookmarklets are not simply embedded in the page, they are generated on the fly by JavaScript code, depending on parameters specified by the user. So any on-the-fly transformation will probably not work. I hope the new format will be properly documented. I see in the new bookmarklets the script source is encoded/mangled, will there be an easy way to pass unchanged script code to iOpus?
Thanks
namo

Post by namo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 am

Error massage : Can not initialize plugin!
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

:arrow: We released an update with a bug fix: http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... on_History

Please let us know if that works for you. As a test, old bookmarklets are still available on this page: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/chrome/

BTW: The bookmarklet format change with done with a good reason: With this update iMacros for Chrome and new iMacros for Firefox version (available next week) have the same imacros bookmarklet format. This makes the format more universal. iMacros for IE will support the format in the future as well.

geleto, if you need more information on the new format, you can look directly inside the iMacros source code, which is the "ultimate documentation". But you don't have to ;) If there are questions in the format please open a forum post for this and we will be happy to answer it.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Namo, please open a separate post for the "Error massage : Can not initialize plugin!". Does it happen all the time? If the message appears for 1-2 seconds only, that is no problem and can be ignored.
drenken

Post by drenken » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Tech Support wrote:One update: Bookmarked macros still work ok when played from the iMacros sidebar, but not when played from chrome bookmarks bar and chrome menu.
My issue is that most of my previous bookmarklets were not visible (hence unplayable) from the Chrome sidebar. Unsure why some were.
Tech Support wrote:We released an update with a bug fix: http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... on_History

Please let us know if that works for you. As a test, old bookmarklets are still available on this page: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/chrome/

BTW: The bookmarklet format change with done with a good reason: With this update iMacros for Chrome and new iMacros for Firefox version (available next week) have the same imacros bookmarklet format. This makes the format more universal. iMacros for IE will support the format in the future as well.

geleto, if you need more information on the new format, you can look directly inside the iMacros source code, which is the "ultimate documentation". But you don't have to ;) If there are questions in the format please open a forum post for this and we will be happy to answer it.
My issues were NOT with the Demo bookmarklets, so that reference provides no help for me.

I also found another bug introduced with 5.2.1; when a bookmarklet is clicked (selected) in the Chrome sidebar, the entire sidebar window registration reverts to the top of page, making it a pain to re-scoll back down to ensure the proper bookmarklet is selected.

Has anyone installed the beta version with the fix yet ? I don't want to recreate all my existing bookmarklets again. {enhancement request: Add facility to backup/convert group of bookmarkets from sidepanel.}
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am

drenken wrote:I also found another bug introduced with 5.2.1; when a bookmarklet is clicked (selected) in the Chrome sidebar, the entire sidebar window registration reverts to the top of page, making it a pain to re-scoll back down to ensure the proper bookmarklet is selected.
This has also been fixed with the latest version.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
gc83uk

Post by gc83uk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:58 am

Hi,

This is working again now thank you.

Unfortunately for me and I would think quite a few other people I use the google sync feature to sync my bookmarks between my work PC and my home PC. When I record a macro in work it works, but when I return home later and run that same macro, nothing happens.

The same happens the other way around too.

I think the only way I can fix this is to stop google syncing the bookmarks, not ideal though!
gc83uk

Post by gc83uk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Anybody else noticed this?