Trouble Getting Started

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
michael-j-lacey

Trouble Getting Started

Post by michael-j-lacey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi,

I'm using iMacros v 8070701 in a Chromium browser, v 34.0.1847.116 Built on Ubuntu 12.04, running on elementary OS 0.2.1 (260972) (an ubuntu linux variant)

I'm new to iMacros but not new to IT -- iMacros looks to be exactly what I'm after but I'm having trouble getting started.

I have installed iMacros from the Chrome Web Store, I haven't installed the file access module as yet.

Clicking on the iMacros button (twice) on the toolbar opens the im window on the left and I'm able to list the demo macros.

I can't run the demo macros - I select a demo macro from the list and click Play, nothing happens
I can't edit the demo macros - I select a demo macro from the list, right click and choose Edit, nothing happens

I also can't record my own macros - but I'll look at that later, one thing at a time for the moment.

I'm almost certainly missing something obvious that I've done wrong or not done at all - but I can't see what.

Can someone give me a pointer?
chivracq

Re: Trouble Getting Started

Post by chivracq » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Yep, iMacros v8.x for CR is for CR35 (you are still at CR34), for CR34, you need to use iMacros v7.03 (can be downloaded from the iMacros for Chrome Version History Page, see the Instructions on that Page for the Procedure to install an Add-on not downloaded from the Chrome Web-Store), otherwise, you need to update your Browser to CR35.

Background Info: Chrome introduced a big Change in CR35 that broke iMacros v7.x for CR and iMacros Development had to modify iMacros for CR quite thoroughly into v8.x...

But hum, you mention "a Chromium browser", not "Chrome", that means that you have to use iMacros v7.03, as Chromium was not impacted by the CR35 Change.
I use myself Commodo Dragon (v33.1) with iMacros v7.03 for CR.
(Commodo Dragon is a Chromium Forked Browser, and it was not impacted by the CR35 Change, but iMacros v8.x won't work on it.)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
michael-j-lacey

Post by michael-j-lacey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks - much appreciated, I'll try that in the morning.

Mike
michael-j-lacey

Post by michael-j-lacey » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi,

I tried to download 7.03 from this link http://download.imacros.net/imacros-7.03.crx on the page http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... on_History

Dead link - 404 - did I miss something? Is iMacros 7.03 available from somewhere else?

Mike
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 pm

michael-j-lacey wrote:Hi,

I tried to download 7.03 from this link http://download.imacros.net/imacros-7.03.crx on the page http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... on_History

Dead link - 404 - did I miss something? Is iMacros 7.03 available from somewhere else?

Mike
Hum, indeed:
Server Error
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
But you are lucky because I had secured it as there is no Archive anywhere on Internet for the iMacros for CR and all other Versions always link solely to the Chrome Web-Store and I knew the Link would be dead one day...

You need to rename the File to ".crx", I had to rename it to ".zip" to pass Forum Upload Validation.
(The file is not actually zipped, I only changed the File Extension. (Well, in fact it is zipped because Add-ons for FF and CR are actually zipped Files with only the File Extension changed to .xpi (FF) or .crx (CR).)

But OK, Problem!, the File is 600Kb and there is a Limit for Uploads onto the Forum of 256Kb... Grrr!!

Trying to chunk it into 3 Parts is not working (using '7z'), the smallest Chunk Size allowed is 1.4Mb (Floppy). Grrr again!!

I can send it per E-mail, upload it somewhere else or split it manually in 3 ZIP's after I've unzipped it (and you'll have to rezip it in one Part with the correct Folder Structure and change the Extension to ".crx")...
Which one do you prefer...? (But what a complete hassle! Unbelievable!! :mrgreen: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
fivecorners

Post by fivecorners » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 am

Hi Chivracq...
I'm having the same problem as michael-j-lacey. How can I get 7.03 ?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 am

fivecorners wrote:Hi Chivracq...
I'm having the same problem as michael-j-lacey. How can I get 7.03 ?
Same Solution/Offer like for 'MJL', see below..., but could you mention your Full Config Info, especially which Browser you are using, as I'm crusing at this moment to try to convince TechSupport to put the Direct Link to the Download for 'iMacros v7.03 for CR back on the iMacros for Chrome Version History' Page...:
- Re: Anyone else having issues with recent Firefox V31?
The more Users use other Browsers based on Chrome but not plain Chrome, the better chance we/you make to get iMacros for CR continue to be maintained for not only pure Chrome...
chivracq wrote:I can send it per E-mail, upload it somewhere else or split it manually in 3 ZIP's after I've unzipped it (and you'll have to rezip it in one Part with the correct Folder Structure and change the Extension to ".crx")...
Which one do you prefer...? (But what a complete hassle! Unbelievable!! :mrgreen: )
The easiest I would think is that you send me a Mail: [My_Pseudo_on_this_Forum]@gmail.com

Unless you know of a Site/Server where I can upload the File a bit permanently so that it can stay (for a while) and other Users can still download it in the Future without needing my intervention each time...? (Until TechSupport puts the Link to the Download back...!)
fivecorners

Post by fivecorners » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 am

Thanks for your quick response, Chivracq !
Here's my system:
Win XP (S.P. 2) , Chrome 34.0.1847.137 , iMacros for Chrome 8.0.7 (with that Bookmark/Files module installed)
I'm a newbie (to iMacros and the kind of stuff that it does). I have some experience building Autoit scripts to spoon-feed data between applications or to do data conversion from one file to another. But for web-based tasks, Autoit doesn't seem practical. I have a very old Sony Vaio and cannot run a newer version of Chrome.

What I hope to do is this: Read a line from a text file, paste it into a web page, hit Enter, scrape the results off the web page and collect it into a data file. (Repeat until end of text file.)
fivecorners

Post by fivecorners » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:38 am

Hello Chivracq,
I've made progress with web automation since my previous message, but there's still one part left that I think iMacros can help complete. However, I'm back at that point of iMacros not working correctly with my version of Chrome. You mentioned something about the appropriate version of iMacros was removed from the website and now you have to send it in pieces to people one-by-one. Is it possible to e-mail it as an attachment to me? You could try my Gmail, using the name "fostercatter" . Thanks so much for your help!

Mike (Fivecorners)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:17 pm

fivecorners wrote:Hello Chivracq,
I've made progress with web automation since my previous message, but there's still one part left that I think iMacros can help complete. However, I'm back at that point of iMacros not working correctly with my version of Chrome. You mentioned something about the appropriate version of iMacros was removed from the website and now you have to send it in pieces to people one-by-one. Is it possible to e-mail it as an attachment to me? You could try my Gmail, using the name "fostercatter" . Thanks so much for your help!

Mike (Fivecorners)
Mail sent with iMacros v7.0.3 for CR...