What's happened to iMacros for Chrome?

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
The iMacros Guru

What's happened to iMacros for Chrome?

Post by The iMacros Guru » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

The latest version of iMacros for Chrome (v10) is no longer free if you want all the functionality. Greedy money grab, or smart business move? Here's my take...
Video Thumbnail.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xox60oDdbr4
chivracq

Re: What's happened to iMacros for Chrome?

Post by chivracq » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 pm

The iMacros Guru wrote:The latest version of iMacros for Chrome (v10) is no longer free if you want all the functionality. Greedy money grab, or smart business move? Here's my take...
Video Thumbnail.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xox60oDdbr4
Hum..., @OP, your Pseudo sounds a little bit presumptuous/pretentious to me, ah-ah...! (Pfff..., you are all the same, "I know a little bit about iMacros", => I'm a Guru!, ah-ah-ah...!)
Oh..., and for a "Guru", you registered already 1 year ago, we've missed YOU all that time to help answering Threads on the Forum...! :roll:
=> Is the best way to "prove" you are a bit of a "Guru"..., maybe an Idea from now on...!? :idea:

But OK, your Video is nice and the Content is quite nicely interesting... :D
(I checked it before approving your Post/Thread ah-ah...!, hum, because your IP-Address is VERY-VERY dirty as a VERY-notorious Forum Spammer (possibly through some Russian Proxy), I normally VERY-rarely approve Posts from such so dirty IP-Addresses, you got "lucky" TechSup did "stg" on your Account (change your Login), then yep..., the Content is Legit...)

Thus yep, Video Content quite interesting..., well done...! :D
I noticed a few mini-mistakes in your Video btw..., but don't worry, the Content was "more than OK", ah-ah...! Very interesting, Compliments...! 8)
I agree with you btw, I don't like this "Commercial" Move for iMacros for CR, and FF probably very soon to follow, I'm afraid...
=> Absolutely all Links to all previous Versions of iMacros have been deleted from the Wiki ('Version History' Pages), which renders iMacros for CR a little bit useless in my Opinion (and I think I will probably stop to "support" it myself on this Forum), this should luckily be a little bit more difficult concerning iMacros for FF as all previous Versions should remain available from the Mozilla Add-ons Archive...

And iMacros for FF is "Open Source" anyway, ah-ah...!, (hum, iMacros for CR as well btw..., is mentioned somewhere in the Wiki...!), so I guess it will probably take me less than 10min to "unlimit" it... I've already thought of the 3 ways the Programmer could choose to limit iMacros for FF, so I already did a little bit of "Thinking" on how to counter that..., but hum, it doesn't really matter which way the Programmer chooses, I already have a Workaround I think, ah-ah..!
Funny thing is that I don't really care for myself, I (still) use v8.8.2 actually for my own "Prod-Env", I do "maintain" a v8.9.7 for Forum Cases, and I never bothered to install v9.0.3 which was already too buggy and limited from the beginning as it was never properly tested... v10.0 for CR was released directly to the CR Add-ons Store, so I guess the same will happen with v10.0 for FF...

>>>

You sounded very eager on your YT Video about "Subscribe to my YT Channel", so I guess that was probably a bit your "Goal" for posting on our Forum, especially as you only have 1 Video on your Channel (at this moment), ah-ah...!

=> Same Rules apply to this kind of Posts/Threads as for the Captcha Providers...:

=>Try to reuse the same Thread for your next Videos, a bit depending on how often you intend to post a new Video and as well on how many Comments they might get (on our Forum of course!).
=> If one Video generates "a lot" of Comments in its own Thread, you are then allowed to start a new Thread (but only once a month...!, and don't worry..., Calendar Month of about every 30 days, like you prefer...)...
But if you intend to post a new Video about once a month (sounds "reasonable" to me, if you do it more often, you will quickly run out of Ideas, ah-ah...!), you can then add a new Post to your Thread with direct Link and Thumbnail like you perfectly did in your first Post..., and you can as well edit your Thread Title with for example "New Video 2018-02: iMacros for FF v10.0...!" to adapt the Thread Title to the new Video...

But OK, keep up "the good work" with your Video(s), ah-ah...! :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
The iMacros Guru

Post by The iMacros Guru » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:32 pm

@bitcohen: I wouldn't be surprised if the full version becomes available on Mac again, but as to when that might happen is anybody's guess. From what I can gather, most, if not all, of Ipswitch's products are Windows-only, so they may not be able (or willing) to commit resources to other platforms at this time. We'll have to wait and see.

@chivracq: Thanks for the feedback and providing some guidelines! You mentioned "a few mini-mistakes in your Video", I'd like to know what they were so that I don't make the same mistakes again. As far as iMacros for Chrome and Firefox being "open source" that was always a bit of a joke if you ask me. They may be "open source" in the sense that anyone who knows what they are doing can peek into the code and modify it, but they were never released under an actual open source license, which is what most people think of when hearing the words "open source". And yes, I do use a VPN most of the time out of general privacy concerns, but not some "dirty Russian proxy" as far as I am aware, I use a rather popular VPN service. I would like to be more active here as well as continuing making videos, but alas, there are always so many other responsibilities and activities competing for attention and time!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 am

The iMacros Guru wrote:
bitcohen wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm
No MAC support anymore? Took a great product and killed it.

If you have a Mac don't even bother, while there is an extension, the "file access installer" is not made available for Mac users rendering the software useless.

I am willing to pay $99 for the full version if Mac support is available.

@bitcohen: I wouldn't be surprised if the full version becomes available on Mac again, but as to when that might happen is anybody's guess. From what I can gather, most, if not all, of Ipswitch's products are Windows-only, so they may not be able (or willing) to commit resources to other platforms at this time. We'll have to wait and see.

@chivracq: Thanks for the feedback and providing some guidelines! You mentioned "a few mini-mistakes in your Video", I'd like to know what they were so that I don't make the same mistakes again.

As far as iMacros for Chrome and Firefox being "open source" that was always a bit of a joke if you ask me. They may be "open source" in the sense that anyone who knows what they are doing can peek into the code and modify it, but they were never released under an actual open source license, which is what most people think of when hearing the words "open source".

And yes, I do use a VPN most of the time out of general privacy concerns, but not some "dirty Russian proxy" as far as I am aware, I use a rather popular VPN service.

I would like to be more active here as well as continuing making videos, but alas, there are always so many other responsibilities and activities competing for attention and time!
OK, took me a few days to reply, @OP, I had to (re-)download your Video and watch it again..., and hum, I'm not sure anymore what "mini-mistake(s)" I meant then, ah-ah...! :?
I had watched it nearly 6 weeks ago, and I guess I then probably got "struck" by your Mention about the FIO (File Access) for Mac and Linux not being supported and that only FIO for Window was supported which I guess I thought at that time was probably wrong as v8.4.4 for CR did support Mac and Linux for FIO, so I didn't see any Reason at that time why v10.0.1 wouldn't support those 2 OS'es as well, but you seem to be right afterwards..., the 'Version' Wiki-Page for CR has indeed in the meantime been updated and mentions indeed that only Windows is supported for FIO... :shock:

I still don't understand how "they" (=Dev) managed to "lose" the FIO Functionality for Linux and Mac if it was working for v8.4.4, I guess it was probably a deliberate Choice to make sure that FIO v8.4.4 doesn't work with iMacros for CR v10.0.1 or Users could easily bypass the Limitations for the Free Add-on... I don't have the new Win-FIO Module for v10.0.1, I could try to decompile it otherwise to compare with the v8.4.4 Win-FIO to see what has changed...

[FIO = File Input/Output = File Access]

>

Yeah about "Open Source"..., I think I had already expressed all my "Thoughts" in the following Thread...:
- Re: Extend Imacros with new commands?
Hum..., Thread is already more than 4 years old now, ah-ah...! 8)

>

Yep, OK for VPN, as a Forum Moderator I usually only check the "Spam-Reputation" of their IP for New Users, and Proxy Users get automatically detected because such IP's are usually very "dirty", same with Users behind a VPN I guess, you automatically inherit the Reputation from a same IP-Address that is used and reused by different People.
"Privacy" is "nice" of course but Spam-Fighting weighs heavier for Forums and most Forums actually use some automatic Blacklisting for "dirty" IP's and Proxy and VPN IP's very probably then get automatically banned even before any (Human) Moderation is involved...
You got lucky I would say we don't use such a System on our Forum, but even when I detect a New User trying to register and to post from behind a Proxy, I ask them to use their real IP or they don't get Access to the Forum... Hum, and most/many Proxy Addresses have already been banned anyway from some previous User who "abused" them previously already..., tja...!

>

Yep, waiting for your next Video, hum..., and don't worry about what I mentioned about reusing the same Thread, the Video from this current Thread was about v10.0.1 for CR and posted in the 'iMacros for CR' Forum, I can understand if you make a next Video about FF for example, or anything more general, that the 'iMacros for CR' Sub-Forum wouldn't be the best Sub-Forum to post it... :wink:

And I guess you'll be clever enough yourself to realize maybe after a few Videos that one main Thread (in the 'General' Sub-Forum) where all different Videos could easily and quickly located might become handy, and for yourself as well... YT itself is a bit too "messy" to find and watch other Videos from a same Author, which might even get re-posted by other Users and even after having watched 2 or 3 Videos by the same Author, you are never sure if there are more that you haven't found yet, without even mentioning the "Seduction" of the Videos presented by YT as possible Interests... :twisted:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...