*Critical* New Chrome Update Disabled the Upload Feature Support Needed!!

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Google Chrome extension.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
speedz84

*Critical* New Chrome Update Disabled the Upload Feature Support Needed!!

Post by speedz84 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi,

The Chrome browser automatically updated to Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) and now the whole File Access Module (Personal Edition) for uploading files in Chrome has been disabled and results in an error when trying to upload anything at any site and there is no way to upload any files resulting in error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} Everything was fine until this new Chrome update and there is no way to downgrade Chrome. It looks like Chrome got some security update and there is no way to upload files. Can someone make a software update or let me know the steps to get the upload function back without error?

For Example I used the Upload.imm from one of the Demos and that does not even work. The new Chrome version did some changes that support needs to fix ASAP! It's really an emergency since I use this feature a lot and Chrome did something with today's update that prevents the entire upload feature from working. If someone can please provide an Emergency fix for this new version?

Tom or chivracq can you please forward this to the development team? I need a fix quick since I run a lot of macros that rely on the Upload feature of Chrome. This problem starts with Chrome 72.0.3626.81 and moving forward.

Windows 10 64 Bit
Chrome 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5 (Personal Edition)

Screenshot #1 https://imgur.com/BZRR2WA (This screenshot shows the error when the Upload demo is run to show you what happens when file uploads occur) Upload.imm in the demo folder try it out for yourself with the latest chrome version as stated above once you run it you will get error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} and this is for all websites that rely on the upload function.

Chrome Version https://imgur.com/a/cZVrdwH (Starting with this version of Chrome and Up it broke the File Upload Module in Chrome) This version and up results in error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} cannot upload any files. Chrome cannot be downgraded

If someone can please can get back to me, I have many licenses of the personal edition purchased for many computers that rely on the upload function in Chrome that work on my macros, If someone can please get this fixed so the macros can get back to work?

Thanks for your help
chivracq

Re: *Critical* New Chrome Update Disabled the Upload Feature Support Needed!!

Post by chivracq » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 am

speedz84 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:02 pm

Code: Select all

Windows 10 64 Bit
Chrome  72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Hi,

The Chrome browser automatically updated to Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) and now the whole File Access Module (Personal Edition) for uploading files in Chrome has been disabled and results in an error when trying to upload anything at any site and there is no way to upload any files resulting in error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} Everything was fine until this new Chrome update and there is no way to downgrade Chrome. It looks like Chrome got some security update and there is no way to upload files. Can someone make a software update or let me know the steps to get the upload function back without error?

For Example I used the Upload.imm from one of the Demos and that does not even work. The new Chrome version did some changes that support needs to fix ASAP! It's really an emergency since I use this feature a lot and Chrome did something with today's update that prevents the entire upload feature from working. If someone can please provide an Emergency fix for this new version?

Tom or chivracq can you please forward this to the development team? I need a fix quick since I run a lot of macros that rely on the Upload feature of Chrome. This problem starts with Chrome 72.0.3626.81 and moving forward.

Windows 10 64 Bit
Chrome 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Screenshot #1 https://imgur.com/BZRR2WA (This screenshot shows the error when the Upload demo is run to show you what happens when file uploads occur) Upload.imm in the demo folder try it out for yourself with the latest chrome version as stated above once you run it you will get error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} and this is for all websites that rely on the upload function.

Chrome Version https://imgur.com/a/cZVrdwH (Starting with this version of Chrome and Up it broke the File Upload Module in Chrome) This version and up results in error. {"code" : -32000, "message": "Not allowed"} cannot upload any files. Chrome cannot be downgraded

If someone can please can get back to me, I have many licenses of the personal edition purchased for many computers that rely on the upload function in Chrome that work on my macros, If someone can please get this fixed so the macros can get back to work?

Thanks for your help
Yeah-yeah...!, I had already soft-alerted TechSup about your Thread... :wink:
(And you don't need to mention my Name, I see absolutely ALL Posts/Threads on the Forum..., and mentioning my Name usually works "backwards-motivating" for me to do any Digging in a Thread..., just saying...)

The Forum was down for 24h, due to some unforeseen Memory Pb from the new Forum Update from very recently, just back now actually, seems to be working again a bit correctly... You were the first one to post again...

Middle of the WE now, expect some Reply from TechSup on Monday after the WE I would think, and the "Break" comes from CR, not from iMacros, so expect a few more days after Monday for Dev to come up with a new Release supporting File Upload again, if they ueberhaupt find a Solution... :wink:

>>>

Oh...!, and stg else...: When posting Screenshots, you can better upload those directly to the Forum rather than using any external Pix Hosting Sites as all those Sites one day go commercial or out of business or clean up their Servers from time to time, and Threads on our Forum with such external Pix get completely useless for "other" Users because of the empty Container "Image missing" for any Screenshot...
I hope you understand my "better", I probably won't react "next time" otherwise... :idea:

And to be honest, I have also personally blocked 95% of those external Pix Hosting Sites as they are too-often used on many Forums for very heavy '.GIF''s in Sigs, 'imgur' is the only one I still don't really filter, and ONLY because it is also heavily used on 'SOF' (StackOverFlow) where I'm just a "mini" super-normal User with no "super-Powers" there at all, on the contrary, ah-ah...! But the Site "sucks" and is pretty "fake" for iMacros Threads with mostly very low Quality and is completely buggy anyway... :shock: So I guess I will also block this 'imgur' Site pretty soon...

>>>

And I guess you don't need to act "dramatic" about "how many Licenses" you've got, look at this following Thread and how TechSup and Dev came up with a "special" Build for this User who was just "nice" and didn't ask for anything... 8)
So let TechSup and Dev "do their job" and surprise you maybe, ah-ah...!, you won't be the only one missing the Upload Functionality if CR72 is breaking it, they'll be "motivated" by themselves to find a Solution for you and the "Others" as soon as they are aware of the "Break"... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you so much :D

Sorry for being so dramatic because I heavily use the upload function on many computers and all of a sudden everything stopped running yesterday and I got so worried because all my macros are not working until a fix can come out. Also thanks for pointing out that you can upload images directly.

Let me know when a fix for the upload comes out next week for Chrome so I can finally get my macros back to work 8)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:11 pm

speedz84 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm
Thank you so much :D

Sorry for being so dramatic because I heavily use the upload function on many computers and all of a sudden everything stopped running yesterday and I got so worried because all my macros are not working until a fix can come out. Also thanks for pointing out that you can upload images directly.

Let me know when a fix for the upload comes out next week for Chrome so I can finally get my macros back to work 8)
Yeah well, I don't have much "to say" about when a new Release will come out to hopefully address your Issue, but TechSup will probably reply on Monday after the WE... But you might be "lucky" as I think there was some new Release for v10.0.x for CR in the "Planning" that should have come out this or even last week but I still haven't "seen" anything yet, so the "Timing" could play in your favor for the Upload to be also included in that next Release... I don't know, more Info from TechSup...

But hum, since a few years that both CR and FF have gone a bit "wild" releasing a new Version about nearly every month, there was a time that nearly every new Version of those 2 Browsers would break some Functionality in iMacros... And in your Case, you can't even use v10.0.2 for FF as a (temporary) Workaround as the Upload Functionality is not supported on FF..., I don't know why actually as both v10.0.x for CR and FF are supposed to be based on the same Code Framework... Same about the 'EVENT' Mode which is also only supported in v10.0.x for CR and not in FF...

You could revert to CR71 otherwise..., but preventing CR from updating itself again to CR72 is a complete "pain in the ass" indeed, I understood you need to deliberately "screw" some 'manifest' File or to block all IP's for all Chrome Update Servers from your Firewall, there is no "easy" way with some Setting from the Browser itself, I think... And I guess it's on purpose by Design, and that's one Reason why I don't like this Browser as the User hardly has any Control on the Browser...

And maybe another "Option" for the time being could be to use Pale Moon (v27 or v28) for which iMacros for FF v8.9.7 is working, and which supports File Upload... And PM is my favorite Browser anyway... 8)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am

Hi speedz84,

Thank you for reporting this issue here. I have confirmed the behavior in the latest version of Chrome and logged the issue for further investigation. As chivracq already mentioned, we are currently preparing a new hot-fix release of iMacros for Chrome, so depending on the severity and complexity of this issue, we may hold up that release in order to also provide a fix for this issue.

I will update this thread here when I have more information.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm

So, I have some bad news and some good news with regard to this issue.

The bad news is that we will not be implementing and releasing a fix for uploading files in Chrome 72 or Chrome 73.

The good news is that the change that was made to Chrome that broke the iMacros upload functionality has been rectified in Chrome 74. The Chrome 74 beta should be available in about a week with a final release in April.

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/schedule

Or, if you do not want to wait, you can download it now from the Chrome dev channel, or get the very latest (v75) Chrome Canary.

Please note: In order for the upload functionality to work in Chrome 74 and later, you will now need to enable 'Allow access to file URLs' for the iMacros extension in Chrome (navigate to chrome://extensions then click the Details button under iMacros for Chrome).
Last edited by Tom, Tech Support on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added update about requiring 'Allow access to file URLs'
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm
So, I have some bad news and some good news with regard to this issue.

The bad news is that we will not be implementing and releasing a fix for uploading files in Chrome 72 or Chrome 73.

The good news is that the change that was made to Chrome that broke the iMacros upload functionality has been rectified in Chrome 74. The Chrome 74 beta should be available in about a week with a final release in April.

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/schedule

Or, if you do not want to wait, you can download it now from the Chrome dev channel, or get the very latest (v75) Chrome Canary.
Yep, sounds like a logical and "wise" Decision to me... :|
If CR72 specifically was breaking the 'File Upload' Functionality in v10.0.5 for CR, and that Functionality "miraculously" works again in CR74 and CR75, I don't see the Need to release a specific Fix for only CR72/73, as chances are that CR74 would "again" break it or stg else... :evil:

So OK, if I understand "correctly"...?, there is no v10.0.6 for CR Version now coming out "soon" at all...? :?
I thought that next to 'File Upload', this new Version was also going to address a few other Issues and different Functionality... I'm a little bit "confused" about how to interpret "we will not be implementing and releasing a fix for uploading files", if it means "we will be releasing a New Version but we won't change anything about 'File Upload' in it" or "we won't be releasing any New Version at all"... :?

EDIT:
Oh..., OK...!, just got my Answer...!:
Tom wrote:... however, some more time is needed to investigate a couple of regression issues that were recently uncovered. So hopefully we will have the release ready by the end of this month or beginning of April.
OK, good...! :D
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:20 am

Works perfectly, finally Chrome Beta updated to version 74 today and I enabled 'Allow access to file URLs' as mentioned in your instructions and everything looks to be all good for now. I will report if there are any problems, Thanks for all the updates.