macros not running from "new tab page"

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Google Chrome extension.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
ghundermark

macros not running from "new tab page"

Post by ghundermark » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi!

Newbie here. I am not having any luck executing a macro (via chrome bookmark) while I am on Chrome's "New Tab" page. If I navigate to a regular website, then click the bookmark, the macro executes without an issue.

Is there a workaround for this?
chivracq

Re: macros not running from "new tab page"

Post by chivracq » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 am

ghundermark wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi!

Newbie here. I am not having any luck executing a macro (via chrome bookmark) while I am on Chrome's "New Tab" page. If I navigate to a regular website, then click the bookmark, the macro executes without an issue.

FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig..., and the Forum Rules... :idea: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
ghundermark

Post by ghundermark » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am

chivracq wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 am
ghundermark wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi!

FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig..., and the Forum Rules... :idea: )
Sorry about that. I am using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), MacOS Majave 10.4.6, and the latest version of iMacros.

This issue occurs with all of my macros (including the demos).
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm

ghundermark wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am
Sorry about that. I am using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), MacOS Majave 10.4.6, and the latest version of iMacros.

This issue occurs with all of my macros (including the demos).

Hum..., "latest" is always vague... :roll: => Will be v10.0.5 for CR.
+ 'Free'/'PE' is still missing...?
Ah...!, sorry...!: OS = MacOS => Can only be 'Free' Version, ah-ah...!
OK, we have your FCI, but would be easier if you can directly mention your FCI when you open a Thread (and the 'F" means "FULL"), that will speed up "the Process" instead of Advanced Users / TechSup to have "to play Detective"... :wink:

>>>

Don't have time to do any Testing right now, but I think I had noticed and reported it on/for v10.0.2 for FF (same Code Base as v10.0.x for CR), so I think it's probably a Bug..., but I'll need to check/test...

And I don't use those Versions myself, but I had already done a bit of "Thinking" about some Workaround(s) indeed, at that time... :twisted:
Yeah well, easy Workaround is to make sure to start your Macro with any Web-Page already loaded... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
RangaPro

Post by RangaPro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello!

I am running iMacros (v10.0.5 Free Version) on Chrome (v78.0.3904.108) and on 2 instances of Windows 10 machines. In 1st Machine, i had installed iMacros about 3 yrs back and I am still able to launch the scripts from the new tab.

But in the 2nd machine, which I just installed it freshly, I am not able to run without opening any other page first. Does give any clues about what the issue could be ?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 pm

RangaPro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm
Hello!

I am running iMacros (v10.0.5 Free Version) on Chrome (v78.0.3904.108) and on 2 instances of Windows 10 machines. In 1st Machine, i had installed iMacros about 3 yrs back and I am still able to launch the scripts from the new tab.

But in the 2nd machine, which I just installed it freshly, I am not able to run without opening any other page first. Does give any clues about what the issue could be ?

Hum..., sounds like related to some specific CR Setting then, I would think... You might want to compare the CR Settings/Options you have set in both Env., there "must be" stg different, I would expect... :idea:

And hum..., do you get any RuntimeError in your "New" Env. where your Script doesn't want to run...?

>>>

And hum, I don't like CR as a Browser as it is very difficult to "control" as an Advanced User, but I ran a Test with one of my own Scripts, launched from a "New Tab" in CR, and it works fine for me...
Tested in iMacros for CR v10.0.5 'Free', CR76, Win10_x64.
(And yep, I'm "still" at CR76, I've explained in this Post why... (Search for "google+updater+malware"... :roll: ))

But hum, stg to mention, is that when I open a 'New Tab' in CR, I "automatically" get some 'Google' Page, with no URL displaid in the URL-Bar, but that goes to 'google.com' if I type any Search Keyword in the 'Google' Input Field..., where the next Page then greedily asks me if I want to "Share my Location" with 'google.com'...!? :shock: , which I happily refuse, of course...!

>>>

Oh..., but wait...!

I just did an extra mini-Test with simply, added pretty much at the beginning of my previous Script...:

Code: Select all

PROMPT _{{!URLCURRENT}}_
=> I do get the 'PROMPT'... 8) :
_chrome://newtab/_
... which gives me the Info I was looking for..., but the Script also aborts directly with the following RuntimeError:
RuntimeError: PROMPT command can not be executed because it requires a Web page loaded in active tab. Current page is chrome://newtab/, line: 9
And if I enable '!ERRORIGNORE' at the beginning of my Script, I still get the 'PROMPT', + I also get the RuntimeError displaid in the iMacros Side-Panel, but the Script keeps running and is not aborted...
I also get the same Results using the 'FillForm.iim' Demo-Macro, with/without the 'PROMPT', and with/without '!ERRORIGNORE', so '!ERRORIGNORE' might be playing a Role and could be a Workaround already... :idea: