macros not running from "new tab page"

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
ghundermark

macros not running from "new tab page"

Post by ghundermark » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi!

Newbie here. I am not having any luck executing a macro (via chrome bookmark) while I am on Chrome's "New Tab" page. If I navigate to a regular website, then click the bookmark, the macro executes without an issue.

Is there a workaround for this?
chivracq

Re: macros not running from "new tab page"

Post by chivracq » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 am

ghundermark wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi!

Newbie here. I am not having any luck executing a macro (via chrome bookmark) while I am on Chrome's "New Tab" page. If I navigate to a regular website, then click the bookmark, the macro executes without an issue.

FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig..., and the Forum Rules... :idea: )
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
ghundermark

Post by ghundermark » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am

chivracq wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 am
ghundermark wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi!

FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig..., and the Forum Rules... :idea: )
Sorry about that. I am using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), MacOS Majave 10.4.6, and the latest version of iMacros.

This issue occurs with all of my macros (including the demos).
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm

ghundermark wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am
Sorry about that. I am using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), MacOS Majave 10.4.6, and the latest version of iMacros.

This issue occurs with all of my macros (including the demos).

Hum..., "latest" is always vague... :roll: => Will be v10.0.5 for CR.
+ 'Free'/'PE' is still missing...?
Ah...!, sorry...!: OS = MacOS => Can only be 'Free' Version, ah-ah...!
OK, we have your FCI, but would be easier if you can directly mention your FCI when you open a Thread (and the 'F" means "FULL"), that will speed up "the Process" instead of Advanced Users / TechSup to have "to play Detective"... :wink:

>>>

Don't have time to do any Testing right now, but I think I had noticed and reported it on/for v10.0.2 for FF (same Code Base as v10.0.x for CR), so I think it's probably a Bug..., but I'll need to check/test...

And I don't use those Versions myself, but I had already done a bit of "Thinking" about some Workaround(s) indeed, at that time... :twisted:
Yeah well, easy Workaround is to make sure to start your Macro with any Web-Page already loaded... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
RangaPro

Post by RangaPro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello!

I am running iMacros (v10.0.5 Free Version) on Chrome (v78.0.3904.108) and on 2 instances of Windows 10 machines. In 1st Machine, i had installed iMacros about 3 yrs back and I am still able to launch the scripts from the new tab.

But in the 2nd machine, which I just installed it freshly, I am not able to run without opening any other page first. Does give any clues about what the issue could be ?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 pm

RangaPro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm
Hello!

I am running iMacros (v10.0.5 Free Version) on Chrome (v78.0.3904.108) and on 2 instances of Windows 10 machines. In 1st Machine, i had installed iMacros about 3 yrs back and I am still able to launch the scripts from the new tab.

But in the 2nd machine, which I just installed it freshly, I am not able to run without opening any other page first. Does give any clues about what the issue could be ?

Hum..., sounds like related to some specific CR Setting then, I would think... You might want to compare the CR Settings/Options you have set in both Env., there "must be" stg different, I would expect... :idea:

And hum..., do you get any RuntimeError in your "New" Env. where your Script doesn't want to run...?

>>>

And hum, I don't like CR as a Browser as it is very difficult to "control" as an Advanced User, but I ran a Test with one of my own Scripts, launched from a "New Tab" in CR, and it works fine for me...
Tested in iMacros for CR v10.0.5 'Free', CR76, Win10_x64.
(And yep, I'm "still" at CR76, I've explained in this Post why... (Search for "google+updater+malware"... :roll: ))

But hum, stg to mention, is that when I open a 'New Tab' in CR, I "automatically" get some 'Google' Page, with no URL displaid in the URL-Bar, but that goes to 'google.com' if I type any Search Keyword in the 'Google' Input Field..., where the next Page then greedily asks me if I want to "Share my Location" with 'google.com'...!? :shock: , which I happily refuse, of course...!

>>>

Oh..., but wait...!

I just did an extra mini-Test with simply, added pretty much at the beginning of my previous Script...:

Code: Select all

PROMPT _{{!URLCURRENT}}_
=> I do get the 'PROMPT'... 8) :
_chrome://newtab/_
... which gives me the Info I was looking for..., but the Script also aborts directly with the following RuntimeError:
RuntimeError: PROMPT command can not be executed because it requires a Web page loaded in active tab. Current page is chrome://newtab/, line: 9
And if I enable '!ERRORIGNORE' at the beginning of my Script, I still get the 'PROMPT', + I also get the RuntimeError displayed in the iMacros Side-Panel, but the Script keeps running and is not aborted...
I also get the same Results using the 'FillForm.iim' Demo-Macro, with/without the 'PROMPT', and with/without '!ERRORIGNORE', so '!ERRORIGNORE' might be playing a Role and could be a Workaround already... :idea: