Set master password at runtime

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
GSMacroUser

Set master password at runtime

Post by GSMacroUser » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi, I'm trying to decrypt a password at runtime but I don't have the means to save the correct master password automatically before launching the process. This is a problem because different macros have different master passwords.

I am able to do this when I launch iMacros.exe with a C# program because I can update the LOCAL KEY for the master password in the windows registry, but I have not found a way to do it with iMacros for Chrome. Is there any alternative? Can I pass a Temporary master password with a variable and assign a value at runtime with a C# program?

I have the Enterprise license.
Chrome version is 78.0.3904.108 (64 bits)
Windows 7 64bits
Chrome Plugin version 10.0.5
iMacros 11.0.246.4051

Thank you.
Last edited by GSMacroUser on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chivracq

Re: Set master password with .NET Component

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:49 pm

GSMacroUser wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm
Hi, I'm trying to decrypt a password at runtime but I don't have the means to save the correct master password automatically before launching the process. This is a problem because different macros have different master passwords.

I am able to do this when I launch a macro with iMacros.exe because I can update the LOCAL KEY for the master password in the windows registry, but I have not found a way to do it with iMacros for Chrome. Is there any alternative? Can I pass a Temporary master password with a variable and assign a value at runtime with the .NET Component?

Thank you.

Could you mention your FCI, both for the '.NET' Component and the CR Env., like mentioned in the Forum Rules, before I will "soft-alert" @TechSup to have a look at your Thread...?
=> FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)

It could also be "handy" (for other Users also) if you could post how you "do it" already with iMB (+FCI again..., but that will be the same like for '.NET' Component...) and 'iMacros.exe'... :idea:

(They might also move your Thread to the '.NET' Sub-Forum, I'm not sure your Thread is specific to CR only...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
GSMacroUser

Re: Set master password with .NET Component

Post by GSMacroUser » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm

First, I have to apologize because I had my definitions mixed. I'm not using the .NET Component, I'm simply developing a program in C# that launches iMacros.exe or Chrome with the iMacros extension. I will edit the thread title and the first post to reflect this.

Windows 7 64bits
iMacros 11.0.246.4051

About how to change the value of the Master Password for iMacros.exe, I have followed the indications mentioned here: https://wiki.imacros.net/Component inside of the section 'What else you should know'.
chivracq

Re: Set master password at runtime

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 pm

GSMacroUser wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm
First, I have to apologize because I had my definitions mixed. I'm not using the .NET Component, I'm simply developing a program in C# that launches iMacros.exe or Chrome with the iMacros extension. I will edit the thread title and the first post to reflect this.

Windows 7 64bits
iMacros 11.0.246.4051

About how to change the value of the Master Password for iMacros.exe, I have followed the indications mentioned here: https://wiki.imacros.net/Component inside of the section 'What else you should know'.

Yeah, no Pb, Thanks for the Update..., and hum, your Thread might get moved to the 'Command Line & Scripting Interface' Sub-Forum actually, @TechSup will "decide", ah-ah...!

My mini-2cts, but I think you also need the FIO-Module for File-Access v10.0.2 for 'SI' (the 'Scripting Interface') to be able to "control" CR + iMacros for CR v10.0.5, and hum..., I'm not "completely sure" 'FIO' v10.0.2 is "compatible" with 'SI' v11.0. (I think I know it is with 'SI' v12.0 + v12.5 + v12.6...)

The v10.0.x Versions for 'FIO' + iMacros for FF/CR are a little bit "confusing" because they are not "synchronized" with the v11.x and v12.x Versions for iMB + 'SI'...

But OK, I'm not very knowledgeable with this part of iMacros as I don't use 'SI', I'm now soft-alerting @TechSup to have a look at your Thread, they should be able to help you further... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
GSMacroUser

Post by GSMacroUser » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks for your suggestion chivracq but I already have the File-Access module installed.
I don't have any problem using the plugin to play macros, the only doubt I have is if it's possible to set the master password for the plugin automatically at runtime.

I have read about the the temporary master password option but I'm not sure if there's a way to pass the value of the Temporary master password automatically with my C# program and not with a prompt and entering the value manually.

Thank you.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 pm

I am not aware of any way to programmatically pass the master password to iMacros, at least not in any officially supported way.

But I would argue that you shouldn't be doing this anyway. The master password should be specific to a particular user and not passed around to other users/processes. Rather, the passwords in the macros you need to run should be encrypted with a master password that is specific to the user/machine that is running your C# code. This way your C# program doesn't have to keep track of multiple master passwords.

If the passwords in the macros you are running are being recorded by different users with different master passwords, I would simply give them your master password and ask them to manually encrypt their password using the iMacros Password Tool built into the iMacros Editor (also available online) and provide you with the resultant cipher text. You can then store or cache the encrypted passwords and pass them into the macros via iimSet and your program doesn't have to do anything about managing master passwords at all. Plus, the owners of those passwords don't have to ever reveal them or their master passwords to you or your program.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
GSMacroUser

Post by GSMacroUser » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 am

Thank you for your response Tom. I will do that.