iMacros component incompatible with older COM AxWebBrowser?

Discussions and Tech Support related to using the iMacros Component for .NET in your applications.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
BGood

iMacros component incompatible with older COM AxWebBrowser?

Post by BGood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 pm

My legacy software uses 2 different .net webbrowser interfaces: AxWebBrowser (the old COM interface) and ShDocVw (the newer .net interface). It is my understanding that ShDocVw is a wrapper which simplifies the interface to AxShDocVw, but does not provide programmatic access to several NewWindow and Navigation events. As I recall, the AxWebBrowser was required in order to gracefully handle NewWindow popups created by javascript, while the .net ShDocVw webbrowser and its more robust interfaces were adequate for other websites. Attempting to integrate the iMacros component with my legacy application (VS2010/VB), the following compile exceptions resulted from use of the COM AxWebBrowser:
Error 6 Reference required to assembly 'Interop.SHDocVw, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' containing the type 'SHDocVw.tagREADYSTATE'.
After revising my code and converting the AxWebBrowser COM controls to the ShDocVw .net webBrowser, the iMacros component can coexist with my legacy application code. Although I initially suspected that the special iMacros version of ShDocVw was causing the error, the resolution was to get rid of the older COM AxWebBrowser. If iMacros can handle the tricky websites that required AxWebBrowser, I won't miss writing VB code against the DOM.
Tom, Tech Support

Re: iMacros component incompatible with older COM AxWebBrows

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for sharing the tip Brian!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support