Is a license required?

For trouble installing the software or activating your license, please open a support case. Freeware and Personal Edition users can also post questions here.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
access2vivek

Is a license required?

Post by access2vivek » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 am

Hello iMacros community. This is my first post in the forum. I will try to make it short and simple.

I am using iMacros add-on for Firefox version 8.9.7 and using an older version of Firefox to use that add-on. Using JavaScript code, I have managed to create a few good scripts which are worth selling. So, my question is - If I sell this code written in JavaScript for the Firefox add-on version 8.9.7, do I need to purchase a license?

If I can make my customers download the old version of Firefox along with the add-on version 8.9.7, do I still need to get a license for that? If yes, which license would I need to purchase?

Thank you in advance for being such a supportive community :D !
Robust iMacros development with quick turnaround time. Drop an email at "access2content@gmail.com" with your project details.
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Is a license required?

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 am

Hi access2vivek,

If I am reading the EULA included with 8.9.7 correctly, you do not need to purchase any license for this scenario. However, if you intend to distribute 8.9.7 to your customers and charge them a fee for distribution, then you will need explicit written permission from Ipwsitch/iOpus.

If you are only distributing and charging for your custom scripts, then there is no additional fee or license required. This is the same as if you were selling/distributing a book you had written using Microsoft Word to other Word users - you do not need to acquire any additional license from Microsoft to do this.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
access2vivek

Post by access2vivek » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:00 am

Thank you so much Tom. The information that you have provided is extremely valuable!

Of course I do not intend to resell the extension itself since it is a free extension! I will be sending the extension as a bundle along with Firefox Portable for free. I will only be charging for the script that I provide.

Thank you so much :D !
Robust iMacros development with quick turnaround time. Drop an email at "access2content@gmail.com" with your project details.
access2vivek

Post by access2vivek » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:42 am

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 am
Hi access2vivek,

If I am reading the EULA included with 8.9.7 correctly, you do not need to purchase any license for this scenario. However, if you intend to distribute 8.9.7 to your customers and charge them a fee for distribution, then you will need explicit written permission from Ipwsitch/iOpus.

If you are only distributing and charging for your custom scripts, then there is no additional fee or license required. This is the same as if you were selling/distributing a book you had written using Microsoft Word to other Word users - you do not need to acquire any additional license from Microsoft to do this.
Sorry for adding another question on this thread, but I could not understand what to do in the following scenario.

I have downloaded Firefox Portable v56 and installed iMacros v8.9.7 on it. Next, I place my script in the iMacros folder and put all of this in a Zip file. Is it alright for me to charge for a solution that would, for example, "Fill forms on a Government website"?

Am I allowed to do the above mentioned If I tell the client that the product is created in iMacros and I am charging you for the script. Or, I would have to ask the client to download Firefox and iMacros on their own? Since download iMacros is being done by me and I am selling a SOLUTION that solves a specific problem for the client, regardless of the tools used, I wanted to know the legalities of the situation.

Thank you so much in advance Tom :D !
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am

Hi access2vivek,
access2vivek wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:42 am
I have downloaded Firefox Portable v56 and installed iMacros v8.9.7 on it. Next, I place my script in the iMacros folder and put all of this in a Zip file. Is it alright for me to charge for a solution that would, for example, "Fill forms on a Government website"?

Am I allowed to do the above mentioned If I tell the client that the product is created in iMacros and I am charging you for the script. Or, I would have to ask the client to download Firefox and iMacros on their own? Since download iMacros is being done by me and I am selling a SOLUTION that solves a specific problem for the client, regardless of the tools used, I wanted to know the legalities of the situation.
Sorry I didn't see this until now. I will reiterate what I stated here previously, which is that you are probably fine to approach it this way considering how the Distribution clause of the 8.9.7 license is worded. But I am no legal expert, nor do I have the authority to grant you explicit permission. If you still have concerns, you should go to the contact page of the main Progress website and attempt to get in touch with someone who can provide further guidance.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support