Trial version with Chrome & VBA

For trouble installing the software or activating your license, please open a support case. Freeware and Personal Edition users can also post questions here.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
dlowen

Trial version with Chrome & VBA

Post by dlowen » Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 pm

I have been trying to test the use of iMacros with a Trial version, Chrome & Excel VBA macros.
I am not using macro files. I am sending commands via iimPlayCode.
They work just fine in IE and iMacros browser. I can record & run macros in the Chrome extension.
But in VBA the Chrome browser fails to even .iimOpen - gives an error about File Access.

Does this mean I cannot test iMacros in the trial version with Chrome?
My business case requires Chrome. I need to prove this will work. What do I need to do?

I own iMacros version 9.0 Enterprise license that no longer works so I will have to repurchase -- but I need to prove VBA/iMacros/Chrome works first.
chivracq

Re: Trial version with Chrome & VBA

Post by chivracq » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 am

dlowen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 pm
I have been trying to test the use of iMacros with a Trial version, Chrome & Excel VBA macros.
I am not using macro files. I am sending commands via iimPlayCode.
They work just fine in IE and iMacros browser. I can record & run macros in the Chrome extension.
But in VBA the Chrome browser fails to even .iimOpen - gives an error about File Access.

Does this mean I cannot test iMacros in the trial version with Chrome?
My business case requires Chrome. I need to prove this will work. What do I need to do?

I own iMacros version 9.0 Enterprise license that no longer works so I will have to repurchase -- but I need to prove VBA/iMacros/Chrome works first.
FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)

Too much guessing from your Post, everywhere you mention some "Software"/"Product", please mention the (exact) Version for all of them, I don't even try to formulate some IF=>IF=>IF=>IF whatever, sorry, this is a Technical Forum... :wink:
You'll be then free to reformulate "our" Answers into some "Marketing Bullshit" kind of nice Presentation for your "I need to prove this will work.", but it doesn't really work "here" to first get your own Answers... :idea:

Yeah, was still trying to say stg "useful", but nope, every is related to Version + Version + Version + Version for all Products you are trying to get to work in combination... :roll:

But the "Standard" FCI "now" (May 2019) corresponding to your "I need to prove VBA/iMacros/Chrome works" would be iMB v12.5 (+ 'Scripting Interface' v12.5) + CR74 (or [72-75]) + iMacros for CR v10.0.5 for which indeed you would need the FIO-Module for Local File-Access (not included in the 'Free' Version indeed for CR).
And I don't see any "Space" there for iMB v9 and the 'Scripting Interface' v9, unless you are still using some CR33 or maybe even earlier...
But OK, TechSup to give more Info, your Qt is not really my piece of cake... :wink:

Your Thread will eventually get moved to the 'Installation & Licensing' Sub-Forum (where you could/should have opened it), and I'm (soft)-alerting TechSup to have a look at it... :wink:
[Done... (Soft-alerting...! And you'll know TechSup will have seen my "Alert" once your Thread will eventually have been moved to the 'Install' Sub-Forum or maybe 'Scripting Interface' Sub-Forum, hum 'Install' Sub-Forum is more suited I would think..., and/or if they posted a Reply... :wink: )]

But hum, for that kind of Qt's, I think you are always entitled to contact 'Sales' directly... Again, not really my "piece of cake", I normally only reply to Threads where I know the Answer/Solution, and where Users mention their FCI of course, ah-ah...! :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
dlowen

Post by dlowen » Sat May 18, 2019 2:16 am

Thank you for your kind reply. My apologies for posting this in iMacros for Chrome subforum.

I have downloaded the Trial version so I have the latest version of iMacros.
And, hum...Chrome 74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)

VBA:
Set iim1 = CreateObject("imacros")
iret = iim1.iimOpen("-cr")

Chrome does open. But the command in VBA times out and fails with this error:
TCP interface error: Connection timed out. Is "Allow access to file URLs" enabled in iMacros for Chrome? See http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... ing_Chrome

It's not clear to me if the File Access for iMacros Extensions module is included with the Trial Version or not. It claims that it has no restrictions and is essentially iMacros Enterprise but the webpage above implies that you have to download it as an add-on to the standard iMacros.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

dlowen wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:16 am
Thank you for your kind reply. My apologies for posting this in iMacros for Chrome subforum.

I have downloaded the Trial version so I have the latest version of iMacros.
And, hum...Chrome 74.0.3729.157 (Official Build) (64-bit)

VBA:
Set iim1 = CreateObject("imacros")
iret = iim1.iimOpen("-cr")

Chrome does open. But the command in VBA times out and fails with this error:
TCP interface error: Connection timed out. Is "Allow access to file URLs" enabled in iMacros for Chrome? See http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Chr ... ing_Chrome

It's not clear to me if the File Access for iMacros Extensions module is included with the Trial Version or not. It claims that it has no restrictions and is essentially iMacros Enterprise but the webpage above implies that you have to download it as an add-on to the standard iMacros.
OK, I will first react to parts I know the Answer, ah-ah...!
"It's not clear to me if the File Access for iMacros Extensions module is included with the Trial Version or not."
=> For iMB (the iMacros Browser), yep, the Trial is fully functional, Local File-Access is included (in iMacros for IE v12.5 (the Add-on) also btw), only FF and CR need the 'PE' Version of any one of the 2... (It's the same FIO-Module for both...)

Then, hum-hum...:
"I have downloaded the Trial version so I have the latest version of iMacros."
=> I understand you've downloaded iMB v12.5... (Again, it would help if you could mention the Version each time...)
"Chrome does open."
=> Yeah OK, but iMB v12.5 doesn't contain the Scripting Interface I think, so it's still your 'SI' v9 which is trying to launch CR74 and iMacros for CR (again, Version not mentioned, pfff...! => v10.0.5, I reckon...?) + '.vba' Script not posted, but if you are trying to launch some local '.iim' Script from your '.vba' Script, iMacros for CR (v10.0.5) will need its FIO-Module...
But even if you had the FIO-Module installed for v10.0.2 for FF or v10.0.5 for CR, I "think" that TechSup posted a mini-while ago (2 or 3 weeks ago maybe), that only 'SI' v12.5 was able to communicate with v10.0.x for FF/CR... (I think..., I'm not completely sure I'm correct... :oops: )

But hum, again, I'm not very knowledgeable with "those Products" (that I have never used, ah-ah...!), WE now, wait until after the WE for TechSup to react hopefully..., or try the 'Sales' Link I gave you...
But it's WE now for both ah-ah...! They don't even react when the Forum is Down for more than 24h in the WE, so I guess you can better wait until Monday... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat May 18, 2019 5:33 pm

chivracq wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am
But even if you had the FIO-Module installed for v10.0.2 for FF or v10.0.5 for CR, I "think" that TechSup posted a mini-while ago (2 or 3 weeks ago maybe), that only 'SI' v12.5 was able to communicate with v10.0.x for FF/CR... (I think..., I'm not completely sure I'm correct... :oops: )
Oh..., yep indeed, I found it, (easier when Threads are opened in the "correct" Sub-Forum, ah-ah...! :wink: ):
- Re: Cant start Chrome browser from script
Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 am
[...] You need to use iMacros Enterprise v12 or later in order to script iMacros for Chrome|Firefox 10. See note #2 here.
=> 'SI' v12 or later, and not v12.5 like I mentioned...
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi dlowen,

I'm sorry I'm late to the party on this thread!

If you are trialing the iMacros Enterprise edition and would also like to try the iMacros File Access for Chrome (also Firefox), which is required in order to control iMacros for Chrome from the scripting interface, please use this form to request an evaluation license. Once the license has been granted, you will be able to login to our portal to download the software.

We do not offer an evaluation license for Personal edition users. In this case, we offer a money-back guarantee so that if the software does not perform to your expectations, you may promptly return it for a full refund.
Last edited by Tom, Tech Support on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified policy regarding evaluation license for Enterprise only
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support