Trial Versions Both FireFox and Chrome Not Working

For trouble installing the software or activating your license, please open a support case. Freeware and Personal Edition users can also post questions here.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
JG123456777

Trial Versions Both FireFox and Chrome Not Working

Post by JG123456777 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm looking for an easy macros solution to some annoying tasks I do at work. I used iMacros years ago for some repetitive tasks I was doing for my online marketing business, so thought I would give it a try and nothing is working like how I remember. I'm wondering if I even have the right computer set up to be able to run iMacros.

FireFox: 80.0.1 (64-bit)
iMacros: 10.0.2.1450
System: MacOS 10.12.6
Issue: will record the macro, will save, but when I push "Play Macro" nothing happens

Chrome: Version 85.0.4183.83
iMacros: 10.0.5
Issue: will only record the starting URL, doesn't record clicking or any key strokes on the webpage, "Play Macro" is working but with the recording feature not working it's useless, I need more functions that just opening a starting URL which I can do with a bookmark

Please let me know if I'm out of luck with this extension on my system and need to just search for something else.

Thanks
J
chivracq

Re: Trial Versions Both FireFox and Chrome Not Working

Post by chivracq » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 pm

JG123456777 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm
I'm looking for an easy macros solution to some annoying tasks I do at work. I used iMacros years ago for some repetitive tasks I was doing for my online marketing business, so thought I would give it a try and nothing is working like how I remember. I'm wondering if I even have the right computer set up to be able to run iMacros.

Code: Select all

FireFox: 80.0.1 (64-bit)
iMacros: 10.0.2.1450
Issue: will record the macro, will save, but when I push "Play Macro" nothing happens

Code: Select all

Chrome: Version 85.0.4183.83
iMacros: 10.0.5
Issue: will only record the starting URL, doesn't record clicking or any key strokes on the webpage, "Play Macro" is working but with the recording feature not working it's useless, I need more functions that just opening a starting URL which I can do with a bookmark

Please let me know if I'm out of luck with this extension on my system and need to just search for something else.

Thanks
J

I'll let @TechSup first reply before giving my own Opinion and Advice... :|
(... If I don't "scare" them, ah-ah...! :twisted: , well, I'll wait after the WE then, if they don't reply... :wink: )
(But there is "Hope" @OP, bear with whomever, I'll have some (Creative) Solution for you, ah-ah...! (Reason I want to let @TechSup to react first...))

But hum, the Macro you managed to record in v10.0.2 for FF should actually be "playable" in v10.0.5 for CR... (You'll need to C&P the whole Macro from one Browser to the other one, between Bookmarklets, but it should be compatible, "normally"... :idea: )
No Script posted, then I can't tell you if you are using any Command(s) specific to one Browser and not supported in the other one... :roll:

And hum..., there are no "Trial" Versions for FF + CR, only 'Free' + 'PE' (= 'Personal Edition'), but there is no 'PE' Version for MacOS anyway, only for Win32/64 as OS, MacOS and Linux are nearly 3 years later still not supported (anymore)... :o
Only iMB (the iMacros Browser) has a "Trial" Version...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
JG123456777

Post by JG123456777 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks for trying to help. Yes, they are the free extensions you can download through the chrome web store and the FF extension website. I tried copying and pasting from FF into Chrome but I just couldn't get it to work right, so I uninstalled it and moved onto a different macro browser extension that I'm learning to use now with at least some success. I just remember setting up iMicros was super easy and I had automated tasks set up within minutes of installing and very little coding involved. So it kinda sucks that it's not like it was. Oh well. :(
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:45 am

JG123456777 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 am
Thanks for trying to help. Yes, they are the free extensions you can download through the chrome web store and the FF extension website. I tried copying and pasting from FF into Chrome but I just couldn't get it to work right, so I uninstalled it and moved onto a different macro browser extension that I'm learning to use now with at least some success. I just remember setting up iMicros was super easy and I had automated tasks set up within minutes of installing and very little coding involved. So it kinda sucks that it's not like it was. Oh well. :(

Yeah, well, "it suck's", yes and no, I still use iMacros for very "Advanced" Automation that probably no other User(s) even ever thought of, and I've always been able to use iMacros to implement those Ideas/Scenarios, so it's still possible to "do" anything you wish with iMacros, but yep indeed, you sometimes need to be a little bit "Creative", ah-ah...! :evil:

"and moved onto a different macro browser extension that I'm learning to use now with at least some success."
=> Oh well, mention that other Extension/Add-on/Tool and share your Experience, no Problem to mention "Competitor" Tools to iMacros on the Forum, iMacros is just one of about 40 different Web-Automation Tools available "anno nu" (=2020), and it's not always the "best" one for every Task, Feedback about "other" Web-Automation Tools is completely welcome on the Forum... 8)
... Then I can give it a Try myself, and I will also post my Feedback/Findings/Experience on the Forum... (Always useful for other Users...)

... But if you've already "moved" to some other Tool without even waiting for some Reply from @TechSup or Advanced Users, then I guess you've already "given up" with iMacros, ah-ah...! :(
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Alright, I would still have a few "Thoughts"/Suggs as I guess @TechSup would need some URL of your Site to have a look at it and do any Testing, as your Pb Description is pretty vague actually, and with no URL and no Script posted, we/they can't get any Idea about the HTML Structure of this Site..., but if you mentioned that v10.0.5 for CR was not able to record anything, they I guess the HTML is probably generated on the fly from some embedded JS Script(s), with which the 'TAG' Mode often has "Difficulties" with, so I'm nearly "surprised" actually that v10.0.2 for FF then was able to record your Actions...

- On CR, did you try using the 'EVENT' Mode...? (Not supported/implemented (yet) in v10.0.2 for FF...) :idea:

- Then hum, those 2 v10.0.x Versions you tried on FF/CR are actually a bit "limited" in Functionality compared to v8.9.7 for FF which was/is much more Functional and Powerful than the later v10.0.x Versions... :idea:

But (Legacy) v8.9.7 for FF only works/ed until FF56, (recommended = FF v55.0.3, (FCI that I use myself, + Win10)), even if some Sites are "slowly starting" not to work completely "properly" in FF55 anymore, but this v8.9.7 for FF Version also works on Browsers forked on FF but that didn't adopt the 'WebExtensions' Architecture, like 'Pale Moon' (v28), 'Basilisk' (v2020) and 'Waterfox' (v2020), but they all get maintained and regularly updated with Security Updates etc... I'm not sure if they all support MacOS, but that would be worth checking/trying... :idea:

- Also worth trying/checking would be to try with v12.6 on IE, or on some Win32/64 PC with iMB also v12.6 ('Trial') if the 'DS' Mode maybe works "better" than the 'TAG' et 'EVENT' Modes... :idea:

Alright, and I (and other Users probably, and @TechSup probably also, ah-ah...! :shock: ), will be interested to hear which other Tool(s) you tried and your Feedback/Comparison with iMacros about it/them... :wink:

>>>

EDIT:
Oh yeah...!, and I forgot to mention that @TechSup will probably move your Thread to the 'General' Sub-Forum, as it is actually not related to 'Installation & Licensing', you didn't have any Pb installing the 2 Versions that you tried... :!:
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:33 pm

@JG123456777, I would suggest trying iMacros for Chrome using the EVENT recording mode (the recording mode can be changed on the iMacros settings page), especially if you want to automate tasks on a site like e.g. YouTube. ;)

But otherwise, without some more information about exactly what you are trying to do and on which site, it's difficult to offer meaningful suggestions.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
JG123456777

Post by JG123456777 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:52 pm

I did try event recoding before giving up and moving on, it still didn’t record anything. I didn’t want to have to manually code each step so I looked for something else.

The process I am automating is on a private website that I log into for work. I want to have it look at a local csv for a number in a cell, then search for that number on the website, then click the first result, then save all of the information from a column in the search results table to a new csv until it reaches then end, then start everything over and go back to the original csv pull the next number in the next row and do the process again, and loop until it gets to the end of the csv and there are no more numbers to search for, then it saves the new csv with all the search results in it together and names it to something that matches the original csv that the search numbers/terms were pulled from.

Anyway I downloaded UI.Vision RPA and have a working macro. 👏🏻At least weekly I need to build this for 6 csvs and it was super time consuming and not fun at all. The next thing I need to figure out is how to combine all of these into a google sheet with each new csv as a tab. But I’m happy with what I’ve already done it already will save a bunch of time. The macro I’ve built takes a few minutes to run and I don’t need to do anything other than upload my csv with the search terms/numbers and tell it to start. The sheets have around 50 search terms, and each item can have up to 70ish items from the resulting table to be pasted into a csv. I was copying and pasting these one by one! I asked my coworker if there was any other way or if they had to be done one by one, she said no way other than that. Ugh! My other coworker suggested I assign the task to someone in the programming department and tell them how frequently I needed the report. The problem is as soon as anyone makes a change then the csv becomes obsolete and it needs to be updated. I didn’t want to need to be running back to programming ordering a new csv every time because changes happen daily! I also asked for a webpage that queried the database automatically and built this in tables we can all could check and it would update as we made changes. I was told this isn’t possible with how everything is built. What’s funny is in the process of building the macro I have to add a step that adds a blank row at the end of the search results so it knows when to stop. Since I’ve started working here people have been complaining about “blank rows” that shouldn’t be there. 😂 I think someone at our company is doing the same thing and out of habit saving the blank row instead of just closing out of the window. It’s like I’ve solved a mystery.

Again thank you for trying to help. :)
Last edited by JG123456777 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you have a working solution, even if it isn't using iMacros!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support