Extracting data in one tab while using another

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jwrana

Extracting data in one tab while using another

Post by jwrana » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:28 pm

I actually have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible to extract data from a tab while viewing/navigating in another using the iMacros browser. I run extract scripts from excel, but they take a while to finish. Imacros needs the tab to be 'in focus' so I just wait. In the mean time, I wish to continue doing something else in another (tab)window. I can't just start a new session because the website I visit only allow a single session.

2. Why does data extraction in the macro browser leave green boxes all over the place and more importantly why does extraction take SO long. I can visually see each item being extracted by the green boxes appearing. A hundred items in a table can take 30 seconds to extract!! Computing power seems irrelevant here. This should be almost instantaneous!!

Thanks
Jeff
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Extracting data in one tab while using another

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello jwrana,
jwrana wrote:1. Is it possible to extract data from a tab while viewing/navigating in another using the iMacros browser. I run extract scripts from excel, but they take a while to finish. Imacros needs the tab to be 'in focus' so I just wait. In the mean time, I wish to continue doing something else in another (tab)window. I can't just start a new session because the website I visit only allow a single session.
No, the tab has to be in focus in order for iMacros to interact with it.
2. Why does data extraction in the macro browser leave green boxes all over the place and more importantly why does extraction take SO long. I can visually see each item being extracted by the green boxes appearing. A hundred items in a table can take 30 seconds to extract!! Computing power seems irrelevant here. This should be almost instantaneous!!
This is an issue that is known to occur on very large web pages or forms and we are still investigating it. Thank you for reporting it here also!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
jwrana

Post by jwrana » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:03 pm

I appreciate the response.

If you ever find a way to speed up extraction or allow extraction to take place on a tab that is out of focus, let me know and I will upgrade to that version!

Jeff
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Will do! One thing I forgot to mention before... you can turn off iMacros field highlighting (the green and blue outlines around input fields) using SET !MARKOBJECT NO.

In iMacros for Firefox this can be changed in the iMacros Options - General tab, by unchecking "Highlight object when found."
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
jwrana

Post by jwrana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Awesome! Unfortunately, my version doesn't support it. I'll have to wait until the previous items I mentioned are addressed before I upgrade.
Tom, iOpus wrote:Will do! One thing I forgot to mention before... you can turn off iMacros field highlighting (the green and blue outlines around input fields) using SET !MARKOBJECT NO.

In iMacros for Firefox this can be changed in the iMacros Options - General tab, by unchecking "Highlight object when found."