Text Extraction Wizard layout is unusable on 4k

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
kevindlee

Text Extraction Wizard layout is unusable on 4k

Post by kevindlee » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 am

1. VERSION BUILD=12.6.505.4525
2. Windows 10
3. iMacros Browser V12.6.505.4525
4. The demos do work, but the browser is very small on my screen
8. I'm guessing that the issue is related to using a 4k monitor. See attached screenshot
All the imacro text/icons in the windows are very small, but in general are still usable. The text extraction wizard is the one thing I've seen so far that does not seem usable.
imacro-extraction-wizard.png
imacro-extraction-wizard.png (11.19 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Is there a simple solution?
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Text Extraction Wizard layout is unusable on 4k

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi kevindlee,

Thanks for posting the screenshot!

Is this what the Extract Wizard looks like when it is docked inside the browser, or is it undocked? Have you tried undocking it to see if it auto-adjusts to a more usable layout?

Unfortunately, none of our devs or QA currently have a 4K monitor with which to test, but now that we're part of a bigger company I think they're hoping for some upgrades to be able to address issues like this more efficiently.

A "simple" solution would be to set your monitor to a lower resolution. Another option would be to run iMacros inside of a virtual machine that is set to a lower resolution.

Of course, you don't have to use the extraction wizard to add an extraction command to your macro, although it can make it easier. You can also follow these steps for creating an extraction command.

As a long-time user of iMacros myself, I rarely rely on the extraction wizard and if I have a particularly tricky element to extract, I'll typically load the site/page into a browser like Firefox or Chrome and use the browser's HTML inspection tools to look at the underlying HTML and manually craft a TAG ... EXTRACT command. Not everyone is going to want to do that, especially if you don't already have some familiarity with HTML, so I hope we can get the extraction wizard working on all monitor resolutions!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm
As a long-time user of iMacros myself, I rarely rely on the extraction wizard and if I have a particularly tricky element to extract, I'll typically load the site/page into a browser like Firefox or Chrome and use the browser's HTML inspection tools to look at the underlying HTML and manually craft a TAG ... EXTRACT command. Not everyone is going to want to do that, especially if you don't already have some familiarity with HTML, so I hope we can get the extraction wizard working on all monitor resolutions!

Yep, me neither... (about using the Extraction Wizard), and hum, for the "good reason" that it is only available in iMB, ah-ah...!, while I only use the Add-on, on FF mostly...

Another Technique that I use myself, and I never use any Browser HTML Inspection Tool actually, is simply to do an "EXTRACT=HTM" on the Element I want to tag/locate/extract, or on some Containing 'DIV' for that Element, which will give the complete HTML Structure of that Element, and that I can eventually analyze (in Full-Screen Mode on one of my 2 External Monitors :P ) in some mini-Temp '.txt' Document in 'Notepad' or any Text Editor... Especially handy for 'Relative Positioning' also... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:05 pm

chivracq wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:30 pm
Another Technique that I use myself, and I never use any Browser HTML Inspection Tool actually, is simply to do an "EXTRACT=HTM" on the Element I want to tag/locate/extract, or on some Containing 'DIV' for that Element, which will give the complete HTML Structure of that Element, and that I can eventually analyze (in Full-Screen Mode on one of my 2 External Monitors :P ) in some mini-Temp '.txt' Document in 'Notepad' or any Text Editor... Especially handy for 'Relative Positioning' also... :idea:

I've done this quite a lot too, but more recently I prefer to simply right-click the element and then select "Inspect" to quickly view the HTML.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support