Scripting Code Creator flagged as "unsafe" by Norton 2010?

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
der_hannes

Scripting Code Creator flagged as "unsafe" by Norton 2010?

Post by der_hannes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 am

As the iMacros team tells me, there is a report of Norton 2010 judging the Code Creator as "unsafe".

As I know that there is no virus in the sources (you can, check, too: it's open source after all!), it may be possible that the file is tainted by the download service of SourceForge, although I highly doubt that.

I rather tend to think that this is a false alarm by Norton and I will try to get my hands on a trial version of their software as quickly as possible.

Additionally, it would be really helpful, if you would run *your* anti virus, anti malware, anti whatever on the Code Creator and tell about the results, here.

[Edit: 2010-11-04 added '?' to the headline]
Last edited by der_hannes on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
der_hannes

Re: Scripting Code Creator flagged as "unsafe" by Norton 201

Post by der_hannes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 am

Just to make sure we're talking about the same binary, here's the checksums:

e5527448ab2a5a75dd3efafb08f25a1d *imacros-code-creator_0.0.16_win_32bit.zip
e46ae6e080f7cc213a96ca00aa9d721d *imacros_code_creator_qt.exe

AVG free says: "No infection was found during this scan."
der_hannes

Post by der_hannes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:28 am

Norton 360: No virus or spyware found.
LAPIII

Post by LAPIII » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:51 pm

I stand the folder and did not receive any error message from Norton, but when I tried to 'Extract All', I got the following error message at my taskbar and the program didn't open:
SONAR.GIF
SONAR.GIF (6.21 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
der_hannes

Post by der_hannes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks for taking part, here, LAPIII.

Is there a way you can post the full "report"? I.e. what kind of "security risk" the Norton SONAR announces?

This would be very helpful in order to know whether there is some concrete issue with the files that make them look suspicious, or whether SONAR simply says: here's something downloaded from the web and it's an executable, so it's possibly dangerous.