IM using Fast User Switching in XP... anyone get it to work?

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
ltek

IM using Fast User Switching in XP... anyone get it to work?

Post by ltek » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:35 pm

I installed IM on my main profile.

Due to the bug with IM taking focus away when in "silent" mode I want to run IM under a different profile.

So, I created a new profile and tried running it... it crashes, repeatedly... I must kill the process as it just keep throwing exceptions.

Anyone get this to work properly?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:16 pm

It works well in our tests: Are you using V5.00.1024 on Windows XP?
ltek

Post by ltek » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:37 pm

beta 1021
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:21 pm

Can you please upgrade to build 1024 and (if the problem persists) try it on a second PC? If you still get the crashes, please give us step-by-step instructions on what you did to trigger the crash.
Thanks, Ann
ltek

Post by ltek » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:20 am

I tried build 1024... same issue.

triggering the crash is very complicated but let me try to step you through it...

start InternetMacro application
choose macro, any macro
play macro
CRASH

hehe... sorry, I'm just in that mood today

I have tried this on 3 different profiles on my PC. I have no other PC to try it on so I cannot at this time test on another PC.

It works fine on the original profile I installed it on... it should be easy for you to test.

the only event log I get is this...

Log: System
Source: DCOM
Event: 10010
Type: Error
Description:
The server {23C9E706-FFE1-4627-B866-E500D55667E6} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

here's the error pop-ups (in order)...

... sometime error 2 loops forever (ie, you click ok and it just keeps popping up again, forever - until you kill the IM processes) and other times the processes exit on thier own.

It would help if there is a debug mode I could run it in?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:25 am

The software works well on all our test machines. Here are a few questions to narrow down the issue:

- Are you using Win XP PRO or Home Edition? Which Service Pack?

- If you (re-) install the software on the new profile, does it work then?

- Do your profiles have admin privileges? (This is actually not required, IIM runs on all user account types like "administrator", "limited" or even "guest" accounts. But it has to be installed once under an account with admin privileges).

PS: To all readers: If anyone else sees this crash on her/his machine, please post it here as well!
ltek

Post by ltek » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:14 pm

WinXP pro with all patches/packs

I reinstalled using the other profiles in the past, it screwed up the registry key permissions. I've had discussions with Mike about this. Either way, once I sorted it out, it did not fix anything.

I did some more troubleshooting...

As a side note: I'm not sure why I'm doing more troubleshooting on my problems then the developers? I'm about ready to start charging iopus for my time. At this point my time far outweights the cost of the procuct... especially since the product itself is not working as advertised in many ways, of course, the only ways I need to use it in... not truely silent (steals focus with every extract), cannot handle large tables (passes nothing back to script over ~1000 rows), not running under fast user switching (crashes), etc. VERY FRUSTRATING

I looked at the perms on the registry keys... they were set to SYSTEM and <User Acct that installed IM> even though they are not user specific keys. If your app is supposed to install for all users (ie work perfectly under Fast User Switching) then why does it have only 'Read' perms for SYSTEM and User installing the app?

I did a RegMon trace:
http://members.cox.net/ltek/IMcrash.log (size=2MB)

Even after adding USERS perms to the regkeys I still get the crash. It did run (partially) once and then got a new error from within IM:
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:01 am

Sorry for your troubles. Your help in fixing this issue is very much appreciated.

But we did run several tests and IIM works flawlessly with fast user switching on all the PCs we tested it on. Something is different on your PC or setup, and we have not yet figured out what it is and why it causes these problems. Recreating this issue is the main problem at the moment. Once we can recreate it, our developers can fix it.

The regmon trace is not available at http://members.cox.net/ltek/IMcrash.log .You can also email it to support2 AT iopus.com.
ltek

Post by ltek » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 am

Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:20 pm

It seems the dialog manager is not correctly installed. To verify this, please disable the dialog manager.

To disable the dialog manager, go to
TOOLS > OPTIONS > Browser Tab > UNcheck "Use IM dialog manager"

Does IIM run stable then?
ltek

Post by ltek » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:47 pm

yup, that fixed it.

no more crashes with "Use IM dialog manager" unchecked.
ltek

Post by ltek » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:02 pm

so how do we fix the problem?

I must have Dialog Manager on. It works fine under the first profile it was installed under.
ltek

Post by ltek » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:30 pm

fix, fix anyone?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks for your patience. But even so we know now more about the problem, we are still unable to recreate it on any other PC. It works on all PC we tested it. Also we received no other report about such a problem.
I strongly assume it must be "something" on your PC that interferes with the dialog manager. It would be very helpful if you can try it on a second PC.