Save erases data

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
chivracq

Re: Save erases data

Post by chivracq » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:25 pm

OK, yep pity for everything..., see indeed if you can get some Ipswitch iMacros Engineer on-site, though I thought that the iMacros People were located in Germany (but I might be wrong)...

Did you try what I mentioned about DevTools to try to get the HTML (Frame) Generated Source Code...? Though even if that worked and I could get some "decent" HTML Page, I guess I could manage to trigger a Click on the Save Button but you already have that, and I probably wouldn't be able to check if the Data remains on the Page or not as all the Processing that happens from the Save Button wouldn't take place...

One more thing you could try is to try to open the Page from Firefox with your UA=MSIE9 (either from some User Agent Add-on like I did or using the '!USERAGENT' iMacros Built-in Variable in your Script) and try using the EVENT Mode...
EDIT: Using the '!USERAGENT' Command could be useful in Replay Mode, but not in Record Mode, ah-ah...! Oops...! :oops:
EDIT2: Nope, can be used for Record Mode as well, as it works FF Profile wide, just need to have 2 Instances of FF, one in which you have a mini-Macro run with that Command and just a long WAIT to prevent the Macro to finish (and reset automatically the UA once the Macro has finished running...) and you do your Recording in the other FF Instance...

No idea about the PROMPT...

And if you speak to your Developers, ask them why they need 4 Sets of the same 2 Files ('jquery.min.js' and 'impravata.min.js') good together for 4x1.5Mb=6Mb, I would think it does no good to Performance...! :?
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
wtuvell

Post by wtuvell » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the sympathy, chivracq. I did see that iMacros came from iOpus in Germany, but I note that some of their YouTubes look very American, so I'm hoping there's some technical expertise in my area.

My bad about your IE F12/DevTools query, I did look at it, couldn't see how to make it work, and should have mentioned that but failed to do so. What I looked at was the DOM Explorer window in IE and tried to copy/paste that, hoping that the copy would expand the whole tree, but it didn't. It gave me the same as SaveAs HTML only, which you already have (by gmail). And, I guess that if the copy had succeeded in expanding the whole DOM, there's be nothing in it beyond what you've already seen by the SaveAs Complete. Or am I misinterpreting your suggestion?

Your FF/!USERAGENT trickery looks like it might involve a little more brain surgery than I'm up for at the moment. I'll return to it if necessary, after trying Customer Support and my Dev Team. The latter, BTW, will certainly see your comments about the impl when I point them to this thread. I think the current crop of devs already has observed the same things about the legacy impl they've inherited, but your additional comment about performance may give them an additional weapon to take to mgmt and get the resources for a refactoring project.

When/if I get a solution, I'll post it. Cheers again!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Boah, "Sympathie" is from both sides, I usually like to handle the most difficult Cases and (try to) come up with some Creative Solution/Workaround and I like Users with some Technical Background who've done their "part of the job" by reading some Documentation, searching the Forum and trying first to solve their Pb by themselves and once they post on the Forum do it correctly and understand and react in an organized and systematic way to what I tell them like you did... (Most Users posting on the Forum and searching for Help are Script-Kiddies who just want to like all Msg's on FB... and can't read the Forum Rules nor any Documentation...)

I think once you are in Contact with TechSupport, they might even be able to do a TeamViewer or Remote Deskop Session if the Expertise lays in Germany, I think they do it with Corporate Customers...

About the Generated HTML, I've noticed on some Pages that you have several Source Codes, one for the Main Page, one per Frame and one "Generated HTML" with sometimes some parts in common, but I'm no HTML Guru, so I don't know much about it and never really dug into that part...

The "UA Trickery" is not very complicated..., for the Add-on, I use 'User Agent Switcher v0.7.3' which has a List of many Hundreds of different UA's regularly updated and I often use it to access some Mobiles Sites... or do some Testing...

Yep, about the 4 Sets of the 2 Files, I didn't FileDiff them to check if they were absolutely identical, but they look very much the same and even if they are only 99% identical, only for Maintenance Sake, it's never really efficient to have to maintain the same Code in 4 different places... And loading 6Mb of Data for one Web-Page when it could be only 2Mb doesn't sound too good for Performance if that's what you're after...

But anyway, nice dealing with you, and I'll see in a while if you managed to get some Solution...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 am

Mini-Update:
The Forum Quota Pb is now solved, so I removed the "Fake" .ZIP File I had uploaded for a Test, and I've managed to upload the Screenshot in one of the Posts on the previous Page in this Thread...

(But I couldn't upload the Full HTML Saveas (1.2Mb) even if the File Limit is supposed to be more than 256Kb (according to TechSupport in the [url-http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php? ... 256#p63320]Forum Quota Thread[/url]), I still get some Error Msg about the 256Kb Limit:)
The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KIB.
wtuvell

Post by wtuvell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm

With some more experimentation, I found the following hack works (for some value of "works"): Manual Intervention.

I put up a PROMPT dialog (with a PAUSE immediately following it), as shown in the screenshot below. This works. If you look closely in the background, you'll see "Calculator" and "Full Desktop" in the two datafields that need to be saved. Those were written in by iMacros. The Save erases them. But if the user MANUALLY over-writes them (with the same data), then the Save preserves them.

Note that I had previously tried this manual intervention, but only requiring the user to click the Save. That didn't work (Save erases the data). But requiring the user to write in the data too, it works. WTF?
Screenshot_53.png
wtuvell

Post by wtuvell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Incidentally, I just tried one more variation on the Manual Intervention theme: having the user manually write in the datafields, but putting the Save outside the Manual Intervention, letting iMacros do the Save. No dice. The data that the user manually entered disappears.