Making a script for constant search on website content

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
sam??

Making a script for constant search on website content

Post by sam?? » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Hello,

First of all I am using Mozilla 41.0.2 on Windows 10 and I am a complete newby.

I have this problem with a website: On this website there is constantly new cars being added, with a buy now function. Unfortunatly it seems I am much slower then the competition (who are probably also using scripts), since most good cars are sold within a minute. I already use a Imacro recording to do the refreshing for me, and in combination with the Mozilla Addon "check for change" I am getting a notice as soon as something new appears. The problem is that always scrolling throu 99% of unwanted cars, takes me too much time. I would need to have a script, that searches for the car name in a certain row and clicks on them as soon as the script finds something has been added after refresh.

Please see the picture below. As I said, I am new to this (Macros) and got no Idea if such a Macro is even possible. I appreciate any type of help.

Sam

imacro try out.JPG
chivracq

Re: Making a script for constant search on website content

Post by chivracq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:11 pm

sam?? wrote:Hello,

First of all I am using Mozilla 41.0.2 on Windows 10 and I am a complete newby.

I have this problem with a website: On this website there is constantly new cars being added, with a buy now function. Unfortunatly it seems I am much slower then the competition (who are probably also using scripts), since most good cars are sold within a minute. I already use a Imacro recording to do the refreshing for me, and in combination with the Mozilla Addon "check for change" I am getting a notice as soon as something new appears. The problem is that always scrolling throu 99% of unwanted cars, takes me too much time. I would need to have a script, that searches for the car name in a certain row and clicks on them as soon as the script finds something has been added after refresh.

Please see the picture below. As I said, I am new to this (Macros) and got no Idea if such a Macro is even possible. I appreciate any type of help.

Sam
imacro try out.JPG
FCIM...! :mrgreen: (I asked you to read my Sig in your previous Thread (where you should mention your FCI and follow up on your 2nd Question in that Thread) => iMacros Version missing here, probably v8.9.4...?)

For this current Thread, from your Pb-Description and your Screenshot with Conditions, yep, sounds like a typical Usecase for iMacros, using different Techniques, => so Answer to your Question: Yes, feasible... and not too difficult... :D
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
sam??

Post by sam?? » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 pm

imacro try out.JPG
[/quote]
FCIM...! :mrgreen: (I asked you to read my Sig in your previous Thread (where you should mention your FCI and follow up on your 2nd Question in that Thread) => iMacros Version missing here, probably v8.9.4...?)

For this current Thread, from your Pb-Description and your Screenshot with Conditions, yep, sounds like a typical Usecase for iMacros, using different Techniques, => so Answer to your Question: Yes, feasible... and not too difficult... :D[/quote]

:D I remembered your sig; tried my best ;) Version was downloaded a few days ago, don't know which one.
Good news that it's feasible. Where can I start to learn the right commands? Is there a coach for this kind of stuff? Or someone who can be paid for it? I need to make this script as fast as possible, since every day possibly can cost me money. I would be glad if you could advise me on how to start, or refer me to someone who could write it.

Thanks,

Sam
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 pm

sam?? wrote::D I remembered your sig; tried my best ;) Version was downloaded a few days ago, don't know which one.
Good news that it's feasible. Where can I start to learn the right commands? Is there a coach for this kind of stuff? Or someone who can be paid for it? I need to make this script as fast as possible, since every day possibly can cost me money. I would be glad if you could advise me on how to start, or refer me to someone who could write it.

Thanks,

Sam
OK, if you downloaded iMacros a few days ago, Current Version is the one I mentioned: v8.9.4.
There are 2 ways to find out which Version you are currently using:
1- From FF / Tools / Add-ons / => iMacros.
2- From iMacros, start (fake) recording any Macro, you then get automatically recorded a first Line with "VERSION...".

Well and on how to start, pfff, you need to play with iMacros, start recording and editing your own Macros, look at the Command Reference (from the Wiki) for a List of all available Commands (they all have pretty straightforward names), and when you have a Pb then you can ask on the Forum and I or some other Advanced Users will help you, but (at least for me), you need to do your part of the Job, I help Users who get stuck somewhere after they tried their best already...

About a Coach, tja...!, if you want to come to Amsterdam (NL) LOL I guess...!, pfff-jaa, I can coach/teach you and show you how I would make your Script or of course I could make it for you from scratch (but I only have time from Tue. or Wed. next week, I think, you buy and sell cars, I'm just a DJ and Painter IRL, if I can master iMacros, then you can do it as well, I would think...!), or you have an 'iMacros Consultants' Sub-Forum where you can post to look for sbd who would be willing to write your Script against Payment... PM is disabled on the Forum, you'll need to mention a way to contact you... Or look through the existing Threads on that Sub-Forum, you have a few Programmers who have advertized and you can contact them directly.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
sam??

Post by sam?? » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks for your time to answer. I will post it in the consultancy section, and maybe you are willing to take the project. What I outlined in the first post is only the bases, I think step by step the script will become more advanced. I just have to be carefull, since if something goes wrong in the script, and it automatically buys a wrong car, it would be an expensive trial :P
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

sam?? wrote:Thanks for your time to answer. I will post it in the consultancy section, and maybe you are willing to take the project. What I outlined in the first post is only the bases, I think step by step the script will become more advanced. I just have to be carefull, since if something goes wrong in the script, and it automatically buys a wrong car, it would be an expensive trial :P
Ah-ah, yep, I thought so, LOL...!

Mention in a few days if you've found sbd to do the Job, or as well if you are still looking for sbd and I'll see from Tu./We., but I and any other Programmer will need a Link to the Site (or at least a HTML Saveas uploaded (zipped) to the Thread if it's behind Login & Password) to have a "real" look, as it's difficult/impossible to see the HTML Structure of a Page/Site only from a Screenshot...

If you suspect that the Competition is using Scripts already, using iMacros probably, you could search Internet to see if you don't find some Script on some "obscure" Forum, you might get lucky..., but I don't recall seeing such a Script on our Forum (recently) or anybody asking Questions unless they had a very specific Question and didn't (need/want to) post the URL of the Site, but it's difficult to say without the Name of the Site...
sam??

Post by sam?? » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Mention in a few days if you've found sbd to do the Job, or as well if you are still looking for sbd and I'll see from Tu./We., but I and any other Programmer will need a Link to the Site (or at least a HTML Saveas uploaded (zipped) to the Thread if it's behind Login & Password) to have a "real" look, as it's difficult/impossible to see the HTML Structure of a Page/Site only from a Screenshot...

If you suspect that the Competition is using Scripts already, using iMacros probably, you could search Internet to see if you don't find some Script on some "obscure" Forum, you might get lucky..., but I don't recall seeing such a Script on our Forum (recently) or anybody asking Questions unless they had a very specific Question and didn't (need/want to) post the URL of the Site, but it's difficult to say without the Name of the Site...[/quote]

Hey,

So far noone seems interested in building this script. I imagine you are a trusted member (judging by your sig. ;) and your register date to this forum) which is very important when asking for any job on the internet to be done.

As you can probably guess, I wouldn't give out the login to this website due to it being crucial. I can only imagine by a HTML saveas you mean, sending you the code of the website. As mentioned before, I am a bit of a newby so I am not sure how to get this zipp file (please give me instructions or if you have, a link send it to me. I couldn't find one) and I will attach it here.

I am pretty sure, my competition is using some scripts written by professionals, because many of them are multimillion Dollar cooperations, I am not unfortunatly :( but I believe we can get a better script done.We will not find it onine most likely.
Whats also important to me, that we improve the script step by step ,not just one time and the deal is done. I would like to add within a certain time frame more features to it, please let me know if you are interested in a small steady developing project.

Sam
sam??

Post by sam?? » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 am

Hi chivracq,

aren't you interested anymore?

Sam
sam??

Post by sam?? » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi,

Attached the code for the Website, found out how to do it ;)
Attachments
codevwbank.zip
(60.09 KiB) Downloaded 405 times