downloading data from several pages using a csv

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
snuhhh

downloading data from several pages using a csv

Post by snuhhh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:37 pm

VERSION BUILD=8940826 RECORDER=FX
firefox 41.0.2
WIN: 8.1 Pro
------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

I am totally new to iMacros and VBS and need your help concerning my project:

In general, I need to download data from an online database (Capital IQ) for about 50k firmyears and save each firm-file as xls.
I have one URL for every of the about 5000 firms, saved in an csv. file.
Each firm has about 10 years of data, which should be saved in a 'binder', which can be done by selecting the years via drop down and adding them to the binder by a click. The process for every firm is as follows:

1) I clear the old binder (done by 2 clicks)
2) I select one year in a dropdown menu, confirm and then add it to the binder (3 clicks)
3) I repeat this step for each year in the list (--> not every firm has the same no. of available years!)
4) I save the binder as xls. (3 clicks)
I could already produce these steps with the help of the macro recording.

In order to loop through all firms, I implemented a short script at the beginning looping through one column of the csv. It is also my aim that the downloaded binder is named after a certain ticker, which can also be found in a particular column in the csv file.

So far, executing the script file only results in an unknown error code -1001, maybe you could help me?

Code: Select all

'open page
Option Explicit
Dim iim, status
Set iim= CreateObject ("imacros")
status = iim.iimOpen("-fx", true)'open in Firefox

'TODO: import URLs from csv
Dim tm
tm= "SET !DATASOURCE C:\Users\Sebastian\OneDrive\HIWI\URL_Input.csv" + vbNewLine
tm = tm + "SET !LOOP 2" + vbNewLine
tm = tm + "SET !DATASOURCE_COLUMNS 4" + vbNewLine
tm = tm + "SET !DATASOURCE_LINE {{!LOOP}}"
'TODO: loop for all URLs
status = iim.iimPlayCode(tm)

'initially empty old binder
Dim macro
macro = "VERSION BUILD=8940826 RECORDER=FX" + vbNewLine
macro = macro + "TAB T=1" + vbNewLine
macro = macro + "URL GOTO={{!COL4}}" + vbNewLine 'fourth column from csv as URL
macro = macro + "TAG POS=259 TYPE=IMG ATTR=SRC:https://w3.ciqimg.com/CIQDOTNET/images/shim.gif?urwvid=3221519312" + vbNewLine
macro = macro + "ONDIALOG POS=1 BUTTON=OK CONTENT=" + vbNewLine
macro = macro + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=ID:_clearContents" + vbNewLine
macro = macro + "WAIT SECONDS = 1" + vbNewLine
status = iim.iimPlayCode(macro)

'loop through all firmyears by selecting each year from dropdown + adding them to binder
Dim schleife
schleife= "TAG POS=1 TYPE=SELECT FORM=ID:ctl00 ATTR=ID:_pageHeader_fin_dropdown_source CONTENT={{loopNumber}} " + vbNewLine
schleife = schleife + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ID:ctl00 ATTR=ID:_pageHeader_TopGoButton" + vbNewLine
schleife = schleife + "WAIT SECONDS = 4" + vbNewLine
schleife = schleife + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=AREA ATTR=ONMOUSEOUT:if(!document.getElementById('_pageHeader_ctl22').tempdisable){document.getElementById('_pageHeader_bToolbar_addToBinder').className<SP>=<SP>""binderIcoSprite_AtBRoll_excel""}else{document.getElementById('_pageHeader_bToolbar_addToBinder').className<SP>=<SP>""binderIcoSprite_AtBRollG_excel""}&&ONMOUSEOVER:if(!document.getElementById('_pageHeader_ctl22').tempdisable){document.getElementById('_pageHeader_bToolbar_addToBinder').className<SP>=<SP>""binderIcoSprite_AtBRollS_excel""}else{document.getElementById('_pageHeader_bToolbar_addToBinder').className<SP>=<SP>""binderIcoSprite_AtBRollH_excel""}&&ONCLICK:document.getElementById('_pageHeader_addToBinderMenuFP').FadePanel.show();&&TITLE:Select<SP>Report<SP>to<SP>Add<SP>to<SP>Binder&&COORDS:51,0,61,19&&SHAPE:rect&&TXT:" + vbNewLine
schleife = schleife + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=TXT:Add<SP>Capital<SP>Structure<SP>Details<SP>Report" + vbNewLine
schleife = schleife + "WAIT SECONDS = 4" 

Dim recentyear
recentyear = 1
do while not status < 0' ToDo: loop until last entry of dropdown reached, something with #EANF#?
	recentyear = recentyear +1
	status = iim.iimSet("loopNumber", Cstr(recentyear))
	status = iim.iimPlayCode(schleife)
loop

'download binder as excel file
Dim speichern
speichern = speichern + "TAG POS=259 TYPE=IMG ATTR=SRC:https://w3.ciqimg.com/CIQDOTNET/images/shim.gif?urwvid=3221519312" + vbNewLine
speichern = speichern + "ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=C:\Users\snuhhh\OneDrive\HIWI\Binders FILE={{!COL2}}.xls WAIT=YES" + vbNewLine 'Filename: Ticker Variable.xls from csv input 
speichern = speichern + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=IMG ATTR=SRC:https://w0.ciqimg.com/CIQDOTNET/images/BinderToolbar/ico_docType_excel.gif?urwvid=3221519312" + vbNewLine
speichern = speichern + "WAIT SECONDS=6" + vbNewLine
speichern = speichern + "TAB T=2" + vbNewLine
speichern = speichern + "TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:BUTTON FORM=ID:ctl00 ATTR=ID:_cancel" + vbNewLine
speichern = speichern + "TAB T=1" + vbNewLine

'Quit Script 
status = iim.iimClose()
Wscript.Quit(status)