iMacro errors leading to false website errors

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
JamesA

iMacro errors leading to false website errors

Post by JamesA » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am

We are running version 10.3.27.5830. I'm not sure how long we've been using iMacros but the scripts we use have been running for several months at least. Suddenly this week we have been receiving a number of errors from one of the scripts.

Code: Select all

VERSION BUILD=6110122     
TAB T=1     
TAB CLOSEALLOTHERS
CLEAR     
URL GOTO=https://www.mywebsite.com
WAIT SECONDS=2     
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:CTXMSAM_LogonFont&&TXT:*&&ID:User_name EXTRACT=TXT  
TAG POS=3 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:CTXMSAM_LogonFont&&TXT:* EXTRACT=TXT  
We have the scripts normally running every 15 minutes. After two subsequent failures, we have our system send out an alert.

Error 1
ErrorText: A timeout of 60 seconds set by !TIMEOUT_PAGE variable has exceeded.. Line 5: URL GOTO=https://www.mywebsite.com (-1330)

Error 2
ErrorText: The browser did not respond before timeout. (-3)

Error 3
We'd also encounter times that the retrieved extracted values did not match the expected extracted values.

I believe we've resolved this last error by adding the WAIT SECONDS=2 line to the script yesterday.

The issue is that we are still running into Errors 1 and 2 approximately 10% of the time. If these occurrence happen to occur twice in a row, then we're alerted. We're alerted on average once a day. We've yet to find the website down this entire week.

Thoughts? I'm frankly tired of being woken up at 2 AM to chase down a non-issue.

Thank you
chivracq

Re: iMacro errors leading to false website errors

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:28 pm

JamesA wrote:We are running

version 10.3.27.5830.
I'm not sure how long we've been using iMacros but the scripts we use have been running for several months at least. Suddenly this week we have been receiving a number of errors from one of the scripts.

VERSION BUILD=6110122     
TAB T=1     
TAB CLOSEALLOTHERS
CLEAR     
URL GOTO=https://www.mywebsite.com
WAIT SECONDS=2     
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:CTXMSAM_LogonFont&&TXT:*&&ID:User_name EXTRACT=TXT  
TAG POS=3 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:CTXMSAM_LogonFont&&TXT:* EXTRACT=TXT  
We have the scripts normally running every 15 minutes. After two subsequent failures, we have our system send out an alert.

Error 1
ErrorText: A timeout of 60 seconds set by !TIMEOUT_PAGE variable has exceeded.. Line 5: URL GOTO=https://www.mywebsite.com (-1330)

Error 2
ErrorText: The browser did not respond before timeout. (-3)

Error 3
We'd also encounter times that the retrieved extracted values did not match the expected extracted values.

I believe we've resolved this last error by adding the WAIT SECONDS=2 line to the script yesterday.

The issue is that we are still running into Errors 1 and 2 approximately 10% of the time. If these occurrence happen to occur twice in a row, then we're alerted. We're alerted on average once a day. We've yet to find the website down this entire week.

Thoughts? I'm frankly tired of being woken up at 2 AM to chase down a non-issue.

Thank you
Error_1 sounds related to the Web-Site to me, maybe coming from some 3rd party Scripts or Applets that fail to load and iMacros waits for them...
You are not using '!WAITPAGECOMPLETE' by any chance...?
You or "somebody" didn't set the Default '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Setting to a very low Value...? You could hard-code this Setting in your Macro...
If the Site still loads "enough" for your 2 Extracts to be present, you could use '!ERRORIGNORE' for the 'URL GOTO'...

Error_2, hum-hum..., you don't get some Trial Version Popup Reminder from time to time...?
You could kill and restart the Browser every x hours or at least once a day...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
JamesA

Post by JamesA » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:00 pm

chivracq wrote: Error_1 sounds related to the Web-Site to me, maybe coming from some 3rd party Scripts or Applets that fail to load and iMacros waits for them...
!WAITPAGECOMPLETE isn't being used in the script that we're encountering problems with. Should we look into using it?

chivracq wrote:You or "somebody" didn't set the Default '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Setting to a very low Value...? You could hard-code this Setting in your Macro...
If the Site still loads "enough" for your 2 Extracts to be present, you could use '!ERRORIGNORE' for the 'URL GOTO'...
We aren't setting !TIMEOUT_PAGE in our scripts, and the system setting (Tools > Options > General Tab) is set to 60 seconds. The website we're monitoring is a simple login page, so there isn't much to load. It is normally extremely quick in loading.

chivracq wrote:Error_2, hum-hum..., you don't get some Trial Version Popup Reminder from time to time...?
We've had a perpetual license for several years, and rebuilt our monitor PC back in January. We don't see a Trial Version Popup Reminder.

Killing the browser? I thought that the method we are using in our scripts, it is using iMacros built in browser api that mimics actual iExplorer. Is my understanding correct?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:44 pm

JamesA wrote:
chivracq wrote: Error_1 sounds related to the Web-Site to me, maybe coming from some 3rd party Scripts or Applets that fail to load and iMacros waits for them...
!WAITPAGECOMPLETE isn't being used in the script that we're encountering problems with. Should we look into using it?
No-no, don't use it, ah-ah...!
JamesA wrote:
chivracq wrote:You or "somebody" didn't set the Default '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' Setting to a very low Value...? You could hard-code this Setting in your Macro...
We aren't setting !TIMEOUT_PAGE in our scripts, and the system setting (Tools > Options > General Tab) is set to 60 seconds. The website we're monitoring is a simple login page, so there isn't much to load. It is normally extremely quick in loading.
Yep, 60 sec is the Default-Default Value, good...

Well then..., if you know that your Page loads correctly, then use '!ERRORIGNORE' for the 'URL GOTO' and rather base your Conditional Logic after this Macro on the Content of the 2 Extracts..., to eventually trigger a Conditional Refresh/Reload of the Page and check/compare the Extracts (of the second Run) with the first Run to only then trigger your Alert...
JamesA wrote:
chivracq wrote:Error_2, hum-hum..., you don't get some Trial Version Popup Reminder from time to time...?
We've had a perpetual license for several years, and rebuilt our monitor PC back in January. We don't see a Trial Version Popup Reminder.

Killing the browser? I thought that the method we are using in our scripts, it is using iMacros built in browser api that mimics actual iExplorer. Is my understanding correct?
Well, every Prog/Software can hang/crash after running for x amount of time... Killing it and restarting it from time to time cannot "hurt", especially if your "System" runs 24/7, ah-ah...!

You didn't mention your OS in your FCI (read my Sig...), what OS is your "Monitor PC" running on...? (Even if that shouldn't play a Role, I reckon...)
It's not running on a VM...? (Shouldn't play a Role either though concerning the "Symptoms" you are describing...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Hum..., some "Troubleshooting" Techniques you could apply to try to get some "Insight" into your problematic Situation, would be to activate the iMacros 'Profiler'...
And/or to include some "manual" Logging to your Script (using some simple 'SAVEAS' Commands with Timestamps (based on '!NOW' and/or 'STOPWATCH')) in order to get some "Historical" Data about when your Macro runs/starts, how long the Page takes to load and the Extracts to take place...