Append in textarea

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
COSMOS

Append in textarea

Post by COSMOS » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello,

I have an asp.net 4.5 web app (running on IIS7.5 which is on a Windows Server 2008 R2), that I'm automating with iMacros Browser (x86) Version 11.5.498.2403.

What it does is take an excel and create wiki type pages based on the input from the excel.
Right now I'm trying to add a feature that can "Edit" pages that already exist.

The problem that I'm facing is when I try to edit a textarea component on the page that already has some text inside it, I can't append properly to it.
Initially I tried using EXTRACT=TXT and then I began splitting and merging lists of text. But that was a pain and it was giving me all sort of problems.
Then I found out about:

SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
ADD !VAR1 Testing

Since the "Testing" is actually a list of document names, marked with wiki markup like: *{{#l:Product_Name.pdf}}, I would like to insert them with a <br>.

But if I try to do:

ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product2.pdf}}

The results is just a single *

Why ? I know it's something related to escaping certain characters or the break.
It seems like the #NOVAR# is not doing it's job when I try to add it into !VAR1.
I don't know what else to try.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
chivracq

Re: Append in textarea

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 pm

COSMOS wrote:Hello,

I have an asp.net 4.5 web app (running on IIS7.5 which is on a Windows Server 2008 R2), that I'm automating with

Code: Select all

iMacros Browser (x86) Version 11.5.498.2403. 
What it does is take an excel and create wiki type pages based on the input from the excel.
Right now I'm trying to add a feature that can "Edit" pages that already exist.

The problem that I'm facing is when I try to edit a textarea component on the page that already has some text inside it, I can't append properly to it.
Initially I tried using EXTRACT=TXT and then I began splitting and merging lists of text. But that was a pain and it was giving me all sort of problems.
Then I found out about:

SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
ADD !VAR1 Testing
Since the "Testing" is actually a list of document names, marked with wiki markup like: *{{#l:Product_Name.pdf}}, I would like to insert them with a <br>.

But if I try to do:

ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product2.pdf}}
The results is just a single *

Why ? I know it's something related to escaping certain characters or the break.
It seems like the #NOVAR# is not doing it's job when I try to add it into !VAR1.
I don't know what else to try.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
Hum, your 'ADD' Statement with the '#NOVAR#' Tags works fine for me...
For example the following little Macro:

VERSION BUILD=8820413 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
URL GOTO=http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28220
TAG POS=2 TYPE=A ATTR=TXT:Append<SP>in<SP>textarea EXTRACT=TXT
SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product2.pdf}}

PROMPT _{{!VAR1}}_
... will display the following Result in the 'PROMPT'

_Append in textarea

*{{#l:Product1.pdf}}
*{{#l:Product2.pdf}}_
(Tested on iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10_x64.)

I only added 2x "<BR>" after the Extract to add a Double Hard Return in the Display, but your exact Statement worked as well directly...

=> Could be a Bug with '#NOVAR#' specific to only iMB v11.5, but I reckon I would be aware of it as iMB v11.5 has been "around" for 2 or 3 years already I think, and nobody ever reported a Bug with '#NOVAR#' in this Version...

I would have 2 Workarounds for you though, if there is really a Bug in your Version...: 8)
1- Use 2 Temp Vars to define your Opening and Closing Braces:

TAB T=1
SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
'ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product2.pdf}}
'>
'Define Opening and Closing Braces:
SET OB "{{"
SET CB "}}"
ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>*{{OB}}#l:Product1.pdf{{CB}}<br>*{{OB}}#l:Product2.pdf{{CB}}

PROMPT _{{!VAR1}}_
(Yep..., works as well...!)

2- Or use your own Char Combinations for the Opening and Closing Braces and replace them "at the last moment" with a Global 'replace()' with 'EVAL()'...
Two Cases here, the simplest is if you use some unique Char (Combination) that won't be used in your Content, like "^" for example in "{^{" and "}^}"...
Hum..., let's try to keep it simple, => only one Case then, ah-ah...! Logical would be to use "#" as the "Special" Char like in "{#{" and "}#}", but "#" is used in your own Content for "#1:Product1...etc", then we simply double it...! => "##" for "{##{" and "}##}"....! (Or we would get the "second" Case where you would need to do 2x Global 'replace()', once for the Opening Braces, and another time for the Closing Braces...)

And it works indeed for both, here with "^":

TAB T=1
SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
'ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*#NOVAR#{{#l:Product2.pdf}}
'>
'Define Opening and Closing Braces:
SET OB "{{"
SET CB "}}"
'ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>*{{OB}}#l:Product1.pdf{{CB}}<br>*{{OB}}#l:Product2.pdf{{CB}}
'>
SET Products_Temp *{^{#l:Product1.pdf}^}<br>*{^{#l:Product2.pdf}^}
SET Products EVAL("var pt='{{Products_Temp}}'; var z=pt.split('^').join(''); z;")
ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>{{Products}}

PROMPT _{{!VAR1}}_
... And here (with the Script simplified), using "##":

TAB T=1
SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}
'>
SET Products_Temp *{##{#l:Product1.pdf}##}<br>*{##{#l:Product2.pdf}##}
SET Products EVAL("var pt='{{Products_Temp}}'; var z=pt.split('##').join(''); z;")
ADD !VAR1 <BR><BR>{{Products}}

PROMPT _{{!VAR1}}_
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
COSMOS

Post by COSMOS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

Cool ideea ! I tried

SET OB "{{"
and it worked for the appended text.
But how could I do this for the extracted text ?

TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:txtAreaId EXTRACT=TXT
The results of this is something like:

==ProductsSection==
*{{#l:NewProduct1.pdf}}
*{{#l:New Product2.pdf}}

This is the initial content in the textarea.
I need to replace {{ and }} as well. So I'm thinking of using the EVAL here.
I tried this:

"SET !VAR1 EVAL(\" var initContent = '{{!EXTRACT}}'; initContent.Replace('}}','{{CB}}').Replace('*{{', '*{{OB}').Replace(' ','<SP>'); initContent;\")"
But it gave me an error. I haven't used EVAL until now. I usually use C# and extract into a var and manipulate it there. But in this case I think it's best I stick with EVAL.
If you could help me write this properly I would be very grateful.

After this EVAL, I should have the initial content properly formated with {{OB}} and {{CB}} and then I can continue appending the new products with:

SET OB "{{"
SET CB "}}"
ADD !VAR1 *{{OB}}#l:NewProduct1.pdf{{CB}}
ADD !VAR1 *{{OB}}#l:NewProduct2.pdf{{CB}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:txtAreaId CONTENT={{!VAR1}}
That should do it, I think.

UPDATE

So I just needed to come back and tell you that SET OB "{{" is not working anymore.
I can't seem to understand how iMacros works. Something that was working fine this morning, is now failing every time with the exact same code.

I even tried the method with the two ## and replace them in the EVAL. The final output is just a single *.
So everything after the first { sign gets lost.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:14 am

COSMOS wrote:Cool ideea ! I tried

SET OB "{{"
and it worked for the appended text.
But how could I do this for the extracted text ?

TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:txtAreaId EXTRACT=TXT
The results of this is something like:

==ProductsSection==
*{{#l:NewProduct1.pdf}}
*{{#l:New Product2.pdf}}
This is the initial content in the textarea.
I need to replace {{ and }} as well. So I'm thinking of using the EVAL here.
I tried this:

"SET !VAR1 EVAL(\" var initContent = '{{!EXTRACT}}'; initContent.Replace('}}','{{CB}}').Replace('*{{', '*{{OB}').Replace(' ','<SP>'); initContent;\")"
But it gave me an error. I haven't used EVAL until now. I usually use C# and extract into a var and manipulate it there. But in this case I think it's best I stick with EVAL.
If you could help me write this properly I would be very grateful.

After this EVAL, I should have the initial content properly formated with {{OB}} and {{CB}} and then I can continue appending the new products with:

SET OB "{{"
SET CB "}}"
ADD !VAR1 *{{OB}}#l:NewProduct1.pdf{{CB}}
ADD !VAR1 *{{OB}}#l:NewProduct2.pdf{{CB}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:txtAreaId CONTENT={{!VAR1}}
That should do it, I think.

UPDATE

So I just needed to come back and tell you that SET OB "{{" is not working anymore.
I can't seem to understand how iMacros works. Something that was working fine this morning, is now failing every time with the exact same code.

I even tried the method with the two ## and replace them in the EVAL. The final output is just a single *.
So everything after the first { sign gets lost.
Hum, "Cool ideea !" => It was "Ideas", ah-ah...! :wink:

Okay-Okay-Okay..., but hum, about this part...:

But it gave me an error.
I can already spot 3 or 4 Syntax Errors (+ 1 Typo/Mistake...) from a 3 sec Look, check your 'EVAL()' Statement and the Syntax that you use(d) before I will go digging into it...
Either you use the same Syntax like I use (in my Example in your Thread or in more than 100 Threads on the Forum), or you use the Syntax from somewhere else (like you obviously did), but you make sure to Copy&Paste correctly..., and/or that this Syntax indeed works...
And "But it gave me an error." is always vague..., yeah about "Syntax Error(s)" I guess...
Use 'PROMPT' like I did to follow your Vars and debug your Script... :idea:

The 1st Method with my 'OB'/'CB' Vars is OK for new Content to be added to your existing Content, but you cannot (easily) convert existing Content to iMacros Vars, even if I can think of 1 or 2 (somewhat cumbersome) Workarounds..., but you would encounter the same Difficulties I would think with '#NOVAR#'..., the 2nd Method I gave you is more "powerful" and would be more appropriate for your Case, I would think... If it works at all...!?, there is always a risk that iMacros wants to interpret anything called "{{xxx}}" before you have a chance to convert it to "{##{xxx}##}"... (But again I would already have a few Ideas for some possible Workarounds, ah-ah...! :wink: )

Would be easier as well if you posted a real Macro with "real" Content for the 'EXTRACT' rather than I have to do some Testing with some "fake" hard-coded String... I'm Advanced enough not to click on some 'Submit'/'Commit' Button to screw your Wiki Page, and even if I did (and my Change(s) was/were taken into account), I would then always be able to revert the Content to its original Content...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
COSMOS

Post by COSMOS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 am

I was only referring to:

SET OB "{{"

I didn't try the other versions since that worked initially so I expressed my gratitude towards this one in particular.
Thanks for pointing out "Cool ideea", I think it should've been "Cool idea". (typo/misspelled)
Anyway...

The wiki page is a company page setup on a VPN. It's not a public page so I can't give you access to it sadly.
I'm sure it would've been much easier.

The main problem is that I'm not running the iMacros statements from the browser. I'm running them from C# using iimRunner, opening an iMacros Browser instance and sending all the statements as strings. I think this is where most of the problems come from.

I first write it in C#, then it gets sent to iMacros and it might be a problem intepreting some strings here...like <br>, which I need it as a string for when iMacros appends the text I want inside that textarea. But if I don't put <br> between double quotes, I only get the asterisk: *{{...}}<br> ..everything between {{..}} is gone.

If I fire up iMacros browser edit a macro inside it and add these statements it works like a charm, but when I send them as a string from C#, this is where problems arise.

I tried with the SET OB/CB, it doesn't work (meaning the content between {{...}} gets lost). I tried with *{^{ / *{##{ and replace them with EVAL, same thing.
The only thing that kinda did what I wanted was this:
(Warning: C# code next. Proceed with care. :P)

private iMacros.App iimRobot = new iMacros.App();

//....Some if else statements that I won't bore you with here...Irrelevant for this example

for (int n=0; n<neededToAdd.Count; n++)
{
   string insertData = "SET !TIMEOUT_STEP 2" + "\n";
   insertData += "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" + "\n";
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:wpTextbox1 EXTRACT=TXT" + "\n";
   insertData += "SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}" + "\n";
   insertData += "ADD !VAR1 <BR>==" + neededToAdd[n] + "==<BR>" + "\n";//this is the wiki section name
   for (int k = 0; k < docsList.Count; k++)
   {
         insertData += "ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:" + Regex.Replace(docsList[k], @"\s+", "") + "}}" + "\n";
         //I used regex.replace because replacing with <SP> sometimes didn't work. I found this happens around the * sign. 
         insertData += "ADD !VAR1 \"<br>\"" + "\n";//adding the <br> as a string
   }
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:wpTextbox1 CONTENT={{!VAR1}}" + "\n";
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT ATTR=ID:wpSave" + "\n";
   iimRobot.iimPlayCode(insertData);
}
The output for this, considering the array neededToAdd contains the section name and docsList contains the 2 product names:
==SectionName==
*{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*{{#l:Product2.pdf}}<br>

This should be good, except it's not really. When I save the page I get

SectionName
*Product1
Product2

So product 2 doesn't have a bullet which is weird since it has that asterisk and it's indented. Where is that coming from ?
I thought <br> should break the line. But no..
Unless I have it like this:

==SectionName==
*{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>
*{{#l:Product2.pdf}}<br>

It doesn't work properly. I guess the bullets only appear when the asterisk is at the far left side of the screen.
I even tried using the EVENT to trigger an enter key press before I add the second product, but it didn't work.

What puzzles me is why does the <BR> do what it's suppose to do in wiki, when I write:

insertData += "ADD !VAR1 <BR>==" + neededToAdd[n] + "==<BR>" + "\n";//this is the wiki section name
but not when I write

insertData += "ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:" + Regex.Replace(docsList[k], @"\s+", "") + "}}<BR>" + "\n";//if I write this, the output will only be the asterisk

UPDATE

I got it to work !!!! Finally !!! 4 days later and turns out I only had to add an extra <SP> between the asterisk sign and the #NOVAR#
So final statement looks like this:

ADD !VAR1 *<SP>#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<BR>

Does exactly what I want it to do. Hope this will help others as well.

Thank you!!!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 am

COSMOS wrote:
I was only referring to:

SET OB "{{"

I didn't try the other versions since that worked initially so I expressed my gratitude towards this one in particular.
Thanks for pointing out "Cool ideea", I think it should've been "Cool idea". (typo/misspelled)
Anyway...

The wiki page is a company page setup on a VPN. It's not a public page so I can't give you access to it sadly.
I'm sure it would've been much easier.

The main problem is that I'm not running the iMacros statements from the browser. I'm running them from C# using iimRunner, opening an iMacros Browser instance and sending all the statements as strings. I think this is where most of the problems come from.

I first write it in C#, then it gets sent to iMacros and it might be a problem intepreting some strings here...like <br>, which I need it as a string for when iMacros appends the text I want inside that textarea. But if I don't put <br> between double quotes, I only get the asterisk: *{{...}}<br> ..everything between {{..}} is gone.

If I fire up iMacros browser edit a macro inside it and add these statements it works like a charm, but when I send them as a string from C#, this is where problems arise.

I tried with the SET OB/CB, it doesn't work (meaning the content between {{...}} gets lost). I tried with *{^{ / *{##{ and replace them with EVAL, same thing.
The only thing that kinda did what I wanted was this:
(Warning: C# code next. Proceed with care. :P)

private iMacros.App iimRobot = new iMacros.App();

//....Some if else statements that I won't bore you with here...Irrelevant for this example

for (int n=0; n<neededToAdd.Count; n++)
{
   string insertData = "SET !TIMEOUT_STEP 2" + "\n";
   insertData += "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" + "\n";
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:wpTextbox1 EXTRACT=TXT" + "\n";
   insertData += "SET !VAR1 {{!EXTRACT}}" + "\n";
   for (int k = 0; k < docsList.Count; k++)
   {
         insertData += "ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:" + Regex.Replace(docsList[k], @"\s+", "") + "}}" + "\n";
         //I used regex.replace because replacing with <SP> sometimes didn't work. I found this happens around the * sign. 
         insertData += "ADD !VAR1 \"<br>\"" + "\n";//adding the <br> as a string
   }
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=TEXTAREA ATTR=ID:wpTextbox1 CONTENT={{!VAR1}}" + "\n";
   insertData += "TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT ATTR=ID:wpSave" + "\n";
   iimRobot.iimPlayCode(insertData);
}
The output for this, considering the array neededToAdd contains the section name and docsList contains the 2 product names:
==SectionName==
*{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>*{{#l:Product2.pdf}}<br>

This should be good, except it's not really. When I save the page I get

SectionName
*Product1
Product2

So product 2 doesn't have a bullet which is weird since it has that asterisk and it's indented. Where is that coming from ?
I thought <br> should break the line. But no..
Unless I have it like this:

==SectionName==
*{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<br>
*{{#l:Product2.pdf}}<br>

It doesn't work properly. I guess the bullets only appear when the asterisk is at the far left side of the screen.
I even tried using the EVENT to trigger an enter key press before I add the second product, but it didn't work.

What puzzles me is why does the <BR> do what it's suppose to do in wiki, when I write:

but not when I write

insertData += "ADD !VAR1 *#NOVAR#{{#l:" + Regex.Replace(docsList[k], @"\s+", "") + "}}<BR>" + "\n";//if I write this, the output will only be the asterisk
UPDATE

I got it to work !!!! Finally !!! 4 days later and turns out I only had to add an extra <SP> between the asterisk sign and the #NOVAR#
So final statement looks like this:

ADD !VAR1 *<SP>#NOVAR#{{#l:Product1.pdf}}<BR>
Does exactly what I want it to do. Hope this will help others as well.
[/b]

Thank you!!!
OK, so the extra "<SP>" does the "Trick", OK..., not completely convinced, ah-ah...! I still think that my "2nd" Method was the best Solution, much more "powerful" than '#NOVAR#' I would think (and which was not working at all from your OP...), on/in both Directions, from 'EXTRACT' to any Data Manipulation and whatever you wanted to add to the 'EXTRACT' in the other Direction..., but OK, if it works now, then I guess you are already Happy...! 8)

And maybe next time you open a Thread in this Sub-Forum, mention the 'C#' Programming Language, was absolutely not clear (to me...!) from your OP, "asp.net 4.5 web app" doesn't sound to me like a Prog Lang that can be used with the Scripting Interface... :?

And don't worry, I don't easily get afraid from some Script in C#, I must have programmed or at least have some Experience in already maybe 40 Prog Langs, "Senior" Dev in a few and "pretty Advanced" in a few others, ah-ah...!, I guess I can read and follow all Prog Languages, I would think... 8) (Hum, maybe not "all", ah-ah...!, a few are definitely not "fun" at all, Machine Code(s), Assembly, or even Lisp, I don't like... Hum, even 'Peek & Poke' was not very fun either, ah-ah...!)
I think I've already had to "test" and try to crash (ah-ah...!) Systems written in C#... (that I didn't/don't know at all, ah-ah...!), is in C# that you do 2D-Matrix Prog, with "Vertical Programming", a bit like all Objects are "Arrays", yep...!? (Very nice and powerful Concept btw...)

Hum, before discovering and coming to iMacros, I was already doing some "cool" Things with some other Macro Language running on AS400, I don't remember the Name oops, but that was already fun..., and impressive...! Colleagues were always a bit fascinated and found it a bit scary when I was away from my Desk and some Script was running and my Screen seemed to act like crazy, ah-ah...! :twisted:

Oh ja...!, stg that was "bugging" me a bit about your 'EVAL()' Statement and a bit strangely "too many" Syntax Errors in it, is that you still have to use JavaScript' Commands and Syntax in it, I would think, and not C# or the Prog Lang you might be using with the Scripting Interface... => Then it's 'replace()' for example and not 'Replace()', JavaScript is Case sensitive for Commands... (And I think you don't get any Runtime/Syntax Error then..., or only sometimes that whatever Command you are trying to use is cryptically "not a Function"...)