Log Events Checkbox

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
shaves

Log Events Checkbox

Post by shaves » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Our field users generally have the iMacros 10.3 player software. Depending on the application, some users complain that our macros that use iMacros are slow. I happened to be on a phone call where our IT department checked the response time when the macro was running. They believe there were a lot of calls to the user's machine when the macro was running and seem to revolve around a log. I noticed that there were 2 checkboxes under Tools > Options: (1) Profile Macro Performance and (2) Log Events. When these boxes were unchecked, the macro performance was much better. I'm wondering if there is a way to programmatically uncheck these 2 boxes when we run any macros that use iMacros. Thanks for the help.........
chivracq

Re: Log Events Checkbox

Post by chivracq » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 pm

shaves wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm
Our field users generally have the iMacros 10.3 player software. Depending on the application, some users complain that our macros that use iMacros are slow. I happened to be on a phone call where our IT department checked the response time when the macro was running. They believe there were a lot of calls to the user's machine when the macro was running and seem to revolve around a log. I noticed that there were 2 checkboxes under Tools > Options: (1) Profile Macro Performance and (2) Log Events. When these boxes were unchecked, the macro performance was much better. I'm wondering if there is a way to programmatically uncheck these 2 boxes when we run any macros that use iMacros. Thanks for the help.........
Yeah, but those 2 Options are not enabled "by Default" (at least for the 'Profiler', the 'Log Events' is only available on iMB I think, and IE maybe, so I've never "played" with it...), so "sbd" must have enabled them once from the iMacros Options... (and can disable them again then, I would think), and you opened your Thread in the 'Command Line + Scripting Interface' Sub-Forum, then I guess you must know if you are launching your Script from/as some '.vbs' Script for example, using the '-profiler' Switch...! :?

But yep, I can confirm, at least for the Profiler, that it slows down Execution of ('.iim') Scripts by about 30% in my "Experience", especially on "heavy" 'TAG' Sections in Scripts (with multiple 'TAG' Statements on the same Page without necessitating the Page or a new Page to (re)load), as it needs to write one Line in the Profiler Log File for every single Line in the Script...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
shaves

Post by shaves » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks for confirming the degradation. I'm actually going to uncheck those boxes and have a field user run the macro to see how it works after those changes. I'm not sure how they got checked in the first place, but if this works out, we can update our support documentation to uncheck those boxes when users complain of slow performance with our macros. As always, thanks for your help.......
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:28 am

shaves wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 pm
Thanks for confirming the degradation. I'm actually going to uncheck those boxes and have a field user run the macro to see how it works after those changes. I'm not sure how they got checked in the first place, but if this works out, we can update our support documentation to uncheck those boxes when users complain of slow performance with our macros. As always, thanks for your help.......
Yeah well, "confirming the degradation", I only "confirm" for the Profiler, and only for Pages with "a lot" of 'TAG' Statements on a same Page, can be measured from, say, 100 'TAG' Statements, 1 'TAG' takes about 50ms "alone" and about 70ms with the Profiler activated... (from memory, on some Measurements I had previously done a while ago, probably on v8.8.2 for FF on Pale Moon 26.3.3 or even PM24 that I used for a long time before PM26...).
But those 20ms difference due to the Profiler would be negligible on some Page (Re-)Load coming from an 'URL GOTO' / 'REFRESH' or some Click on some Button/Link as a Page Load already typically takes a few seconds...

And I guess the "Process" will probably a bit the same with the 'Log Events' Functionality with probably about the same 20ms for each logged Action, but I don't know what the 'Log Events' is actually logging... What could also play a role if that Log File has grown into a "huge" File and keeps growing... (which won't play a role for the Profiler as unless you've taken "measures" in your Script to specify a specific Profiler Log File, the Profiler creates a new Profiler Log File everyday...).

And both the 'Profiler' and the 'Log Events' Options should only be enabled (I would think) if you are "experiencing" Pb's with some Script/Site and trying to find the culprit of the Pb... (and you already have some pretty good idea where the Pb could lay, as I don't know about the 'Log Events' Log File, but the Profiler Log File is not very easy to analyze especially for long Scripts...).
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...