iMacros browser and IE: DS CMD=CLICK/IMAGECLICK issued from JS can cause both browsers to hang/become unresponsive

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Tom, Tech Support

Re: iMacros browser and IE: DS CMD=CLICK/IMAGECLICK issued from JS can cause both browsers to hang/become unresponsive

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks for giving it a try on another machine! It definitely sounds as if the original problem is relegated to just your machine since the same results were not reproducible on your friend's machine, which is consistent with our own testing.

maiden1134 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 pm
Also in the crash log there was a crash related to when I tried to run imacros for IE last night on my friends machine, here it is:

Code: Select all

========================================
2020-06-17 23:41:15Z
iMacros Sidebar version 12.6.505.4525, IE version 11.329.19041.0, OS version Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19041.0

Exception at Boolean EnableBHO()
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at iMacros.Core.Helpers.IEUtils.EnableBHO()
   at #=zphBaP43m9S5wB1v95RoKWOZGIXewZLLaaL1LTjY=.#=zrXDoS4ZhI4juDKCkSkipn0Q=(Object #=zQ8BY764=, EventArgs #=zqW8MFuA=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

This is because the iMacros Browser Helper Object never got enabled (IE prompts to enable it the first time you start IE after having installed iMacros for IE). See this thread for how to resolve.

maiden1134 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 pm
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I went ahead and ran the simple mouse click test on my friend's PC using 'DS CLICK' (again using the latest trial version). After 23 minutes, imacros popped up a message box that said it had crashed and to check the crash log. Here is the crash from the log:

Code: Select all

========================================
2020-06-18 20:53:18Z
iMacros version 12.6.505.4525, IE version 11.329.19041.0, OS version Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19041.0

Exception at Void CheckErrorStatus(Int32)
A generic error occurred in GDI+.
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FillPolygon(Brush brush, Point[] points, FillMode fillMode)
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FillPolygon(Brush brush, Point[] points)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripRenderer.OnRenderArrow(ToolStripArrowRenderEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripProfessionalRenderer.OnRenderArrow(ToolStripArrowRenderEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripRenderer.DrawArrow(ToolStripArrowRenderEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownButton.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandlePaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Yes, this is a known issue. There is a slow leak or other resource issue with the implementation of DS that will eventually lead to a crash over time. Unfortunately, this one has existed for years and it doesn't look like it's going to get fixed any time soon, although I will update our internal tracking system and mention this forum thread to see if the priority can be raised. Again, coding the script to do a period browser restart helps mitigate the issue.

maiden1134 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:57 am
If it is possible to get a debug version of iMacros that I could run over here that could help you guys narrow down the cause of the issue I think that would be a good next step. Let me know what you think.

I will submit a request for this but I think the dev team is steeped in iteration planning for most of this week so I'm not sure how soon we'll here back on this.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
maiden1134

Re: iMacros browser and IE: DS CMD=CLICK/IMAGECLICK issued from JS can cause both browsers to hang/become unresponsive

Post by maiden1134 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:39 am

Thanks Tom....I will be around, just let me know if they are able to get me a debug version and when it's ready I will give it a try. Thanks!