iMacros on New Tabs

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
tiago raposa

iMacros on New Tabs

Post by tiago raposa » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi. I'm new using iMacros and i have one question: Is it possible put an imacro opening a new tab and do the job on this new tab? Even if I already have some tabs opened and don't want run imacro on any of that?

Thanks in advance.
Tech Support

Re: iMacros on New Tabs

Post by Tech Support » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:14 pm

This macro does this:

Code: Select all

VERSION BUILD=6111205 RECORDER=FX
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
URL GOTO=http://www.iopus.com/
tiago raposa

Post by tiago raposa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 pm

working very well. thank you very much
tpullano

Post by tpullano » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:47 pm

This doesn't work for me...my macro never seems to run in the new tab.

I usually have multiple tabs open, it could be 2 or 3 or 4, etc. The TAB OPEN works fine and creates a new untitled tab (like Ctr-T in FF), but what do I put in the TAB T=? position. It seems whatever I put it overwrites one of my open tabs, or if the number is too high, the macro crashed saying it cannot find the tab.

I am running the Tab Mix Plus extension and would rather not give it up if that is the problem.
Hello 71

Post by Hello 71 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:53 pm

I think it is because you are using the wrong number. TAB T=2 (as far as I know) means the second tab from the first iMacros tab, not the first tab.
tpullano

Post by tpullano » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:01 am

No, it just doesn't want to use the new tab I create.

Let me try to explain further. I always have many tabs open. So I need to create a new tab, which by default gets created to the right of the other open tabs. Then go into that new tab and open a certain url, which will then login etc. etc...

I don't want to clear all the tabs I have open already (iMAcros asks, but I say no) or overwrite them. I just want to create a new tab, load my url, and act on it, and maintain the tabs I have open. iMacros assumes my starting tab is the tab I have highlighted at the time (it could be any one of the many I have open). It creates the new "untitled" tab to the right of all these, but then how do I get to that new untitled tab? Code below:

VERSION BUILD=6111228 RECORDER=FX
TAB OPEN                                       (Opens a new tab correctly)
URL GOTO=http://www.myurl.com/                 (whatever URL)
TAB T=1                                        (not sure what goes here - tried 1, 2, 5 etc.)
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=NAME:login ATTR=NAME:submit&&VALUE:Login   (logs in)
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=TXT:Categories/Products
TAG POS=1 TYPE=B ATTR=TXT:ACCESSORIES
additional001

Post by additional001 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:37 am

Ok I see what you are trying to do now :D

Your TAB T= line is in the wrong place. Tech Support pretty much gave you the right answer

'Current TAB
'Opens a new tab correctly
TAB OPEN 
'Switch to TAB 2 at this point and execute code there. 
TAB T=2                                     
URL GOTO=http://www.myurl.com/                 
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=NAME:login ATTR=NAME:submit&&VALUE:Login   (logs in)
TAG POS=1 TYPE=A ATTR=TXT:Categories/Products
TAG POS=1 TYPE=B ATTR=TXT:ACCESSORIES
' If needed close the TAB
'TAB CLOSE
'if needed return to original tab
'TAB T=1
'If needed execute more code here

tpullano

Post by tpullano » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 am

Thank you sir...that did the trick
evlev

Post by evlev » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks for the thread, been trying to solve this one too.
Afraid the suggested solution only works sometimes:
additional001 wrote:Re: iMacros on New Tabs

Post by additional001 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:37 am

TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
URL GOTO=http://www.myurl.com/
"TAB T=2" will work if the current tab is the rightmost tab.
If the current tab is the leftmost of 5 tabs, on Firefox the new tab will be enumerated 6, not 2.

Is there some way to skip to the last tab?
something like "TAB T=LAST" or "TAB T=NUMTABS"
or just do it all "TAB T= TAB OPEN GOTO http://www.myurl.com/" :)

IE has an option to open new tabs adjacent the current tab instead of last tab, which could help here.
Thing is, I can't find how to do this in Firefox.

Thanks
tpullano

Post by tpullano » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:28 pm

evlev....

Thanks, and you're right. I just tested having focus on the right most tab. Doesn't work if the focus is on another tab farther left...

Hmmmm...any thought son this and evlev's suggestions?
additional001

Post by additional001 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 am

evlev wrote: Is there some way to skip to the last tab?
something like "TAB T=LAST" or "TAB T=NUMTABS"
Not without using an outside scripting language such as JavaScript or VBS.
or just do it all "TAB T= TAB OPEN GOTO http://www.myurl.com/" :)
That would be a no.

What is the purpose of these other tabs open? If they are not being opened and manipulated in conjunction with the script.. why not just use Two firefoxes. One for running the script in so that TAG numbers are preserved and one for browsing? I know it may not be the most desired method to solve the problem... but its what everyone else has to do.
tpullano

Post by tpullano » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am

?? What is the purpose of a browser that features multiple tabs? To have multiple tabs open....

I am constantly on many sites at once, and use the Firefox or Tab Plus extension save feature to bring them back up when I re-open firefox. Just want to be able to auto-login to a site, do my thing, then close it and keep my other tabs in tact to work on.

If anyone is using firefox with just one tab open, or none at all...why use it? And why would I want to expose my laptop to another 170K of memory use by opening another instances of firefox, just to run a macro to log into a site. Aren't macros supposed to save keystrokes?

iMacros is a great tool, and this doesn't seem like an outlandish request, but I really think if this cannot be accomplished, for me, it does not make much sense....any other macros recorders for firefox I can try?
josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:00 pm

I like both of evlev's tab suggestions. Perhaps iOpus can consider them as an enhancement, but they don't exist right now that I know of.

In the meantime, I see two workarounds, both of which have already been suggested.
1) Open a new window that doesn't have your tabs that you want preserved and run your macro there (this way you wouldn't need to open a new tab in the macro either).
2) Click on the right-most tab in your current window before running your macro so that the TAB T=2 command would put you on the unused new tab.

Typing those out makes me think of a third workaround.
3) Hit Ctrl-T (which for me opens a new empty tab and takes me to it, but I don't have your extensions), then do #1 in the tab rather than a new window.

Based on your comments, I think you might prefer #2 or #3 workaround to #1 workaround. Hopefully the tab suggestions in this thread will be implemented someday, though.
additional001

Post by additional001 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree. When you are creating a plug-in or an extension it is by its nature that! You are working with another program that has its own limitations and mannerisms. FireFox has its own way of handling tabs.. there may be nothing iMacros can do to change that and that might be why this kind of limitation exsists.
josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 pm

additional001 wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree. When you are creating a plug-in or an extension it is by its nature that! You are working with another program that has its own limitations and mannerisms. FireFox has its own way of handling tabs.. there may be nothing iMacros can do to change that and that might be why this kind of limitation exsists.
I accept that there could be technical reasons that make these enhancements impossible, or at least too much work for the benefit gained. However, we've had no word from iOpus that such is the case, and until we hear that, I'd still like to think that they are at least considering looking for a way to implement these suggestions.