is using imacros detectable?

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
vule2042

is using imacros detectable?

Post by vule2042 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 am

hi, i wanted to use imacros to fill out applications automatically. but the website that i want to use imacros on doesnt allow any use of scripts or bots. so i was just wondering if theres any way they can detect my use of imacros?
coolcocky

Re: is using imacros detectable?

Post by coolcocky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 am

hi,

imacros has its own user string so its detectable, but you can change that in options and make imacros look like internet explorer

regards,

cool
vule2042

Post by vule2042 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm

do you know any other programs similar to imacros but arent detectable?
mike007

Post by mike007 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 pm

vule2042 wrote:do you know any other programs similar to imacros but arent detectable?
Use a external proxy program to change you user agent.
Example: First lookup Proxy and socks at wikipedia so you understand what it is, then download and install one of the following: privoxy.org or proxomitron.info
Last go to google or search at their site for scripts that changes user agent.

But, every automatic process can be detected as non-human. Its all depends on how much the site-owner wants bot to be destroyed. For an example there could be javascript that looks for patterns that is very likely bots and ban that session/or IP w/or without cookies. I assume you know about "CLEAR" command and cookies.
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:26 am

Nice reponse Mike! Also, see my post on this topic here:

http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?t=10500#p31607
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support