Maximum numer of iMacros that can be run simultaneously

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
arunck30

Maximum numer of iMacros that can be run simultaneously

Post by arunck30 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

Hi,

Sorry this question might have been repeated, but i couldn't able to find... :(

I have written a script to fetch data from Websites and populate that into database. I used Threads to run multiple imacros simultaneously.I do like to know how many maximum number of iMacros can i run at same time??

Can i open 500 iMacros browser and run imacros in each window(using Scripts)?? If not, what is the maximum limit??

Thanks a ton in advance for your help.

Thanks and Regards,
CK
MattBell7

Re: Maximum numer of iMacros that can be run simultaneously

Post by MattBell7 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 pm

using the iimRunner stuff, i doubt there is an official limit, i guess it will be down to what the PC can cope with. (if you run too much, the PC won't be able to process it all at the same time.)
Volodath

Post by Volodath » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Arunck30 -

AFAIK there is no official limited; Alert Fox is said to run hundreds (if not thousands) of browsers at the same time.

For my self, with some pretty java heavy sites that I run scripts for, I can typically only manage 7 or 8 if the windows are displayed, 10-11 if they're hidden in the task bar. That running the firefox plugin with scripting enabled.

If you've got the scripting edition find the 'stresstest' vbs and run it. On a 2.4 dual core I can pull six or seven of those, eight if I run the 6.9 version.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Wed May 04, 2011 1:57 pm

This is an interesting discussion. Volodath's numbers match our own test results well. On an average PC you can run between 8 - 15 instances of iMacros at the same time.

Tip: Usually the CPU power is the limiting factor, not memory!

Note that this limit is caused by the CPU usage of the web browsers itself (IE, Firefox, Chrome,...), not the iMacros code. iMacros "only" automates these web browsers. This explains why the exact number of instances also depends on the type of website. A Flash applet consumes significantly more CPU to render/play then a plain HTML site.

For those of you that host on Amazon EC2: Here we find you can run 2-4 browser instances per 1 EC2 Compute Unit (1 virtual core with 1 EC2 Compute Unit).
arunck30

Post by arunck30 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:40 am

Hi All,

Thanks for all your response....... :)

Day by day i am learning lot of things in iMacros, but 1 thing that i saw iMacros don't have proper solution is when Page will be loaded. It works fine when the URL is loaded, but for AJAX, only when the frames are loaded, there is no notification and the next command executes without checking whether that is loaded or not. The things that i am doing have lot of Frames, so i have to give WAIT command to wait for some seconds, that also doesn't give correct results some time. IMAGESEARCH works if there is image is there in Frames, but we can't expect images to be there also.

Is there any correct way to know when the Frames is being loaded, and then only continue with successive statements.

Thanks and Regards,
Arun
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sat May 07, 2011 9:24 am

arunck30 wrote:Is there any correct way to know when the Frames is being loaded, and then only continue with successive statements.
I would use either a TAG or IMAGESEARCH command to search for a keyword or image that you know appears once the frame is loaded, and use an appropriate value for !TIMEOUT_STEP to wait for the keyword/image to appear. With this approach, as soon as the keyword/image appears, then iMacros continues with the rest of the macro, rather than having to wait the full time specified in a WAIT command.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support