Chrome 14 problem: Can't run old / can't create new macros

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
SAKERHET

Re: Can't run old / can't create new macro's in Chrome

Post by SAKERHET » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

Hannes, iOpus wrote:Do I get that right? It's not just about macros not being recorded, but about macros being missing?

Could you check whether the macro's files are still there (just not displayed) using a file browser?
Thanks for your reply!

Well the macro's are being displayed but when i try to run them/edit them nothing is happening.

How can i check if the macro's are still there? I saved them as bookmarks in Google Chrome. Thank you.
SAKERHET

Re: Chrome 14 problem: Can't run old / can't create new macr

Post by SAKERHET » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:52 am

Also, is there a way to convert the Chrome bookmark macro's to file macro's. This way i could import them in Firefox and run them.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am

To summarize: It seems the issue happens "only" when you want to store macros in bookmarks? Can everyone confirm this?
macro storage chrome.png
You can switch the display mode between file view (white background in treeview) and bookmark view (yellow background) with the "Macro storage" select box.

When you right click a macro, you can convert it between file and bookmark (this is a copy, no file or bookmarks gets deleted).
markOFFka

Post by markOFFka » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 am

Tech Support wrote:To summarize: It seems the issue happens "only" when you want to store macros in bookmarks? Can everyone confirm this?
macro storage chrome.png
You can switch the display mode between file view (white background in treeview) and bookmark view (yellow background) with the "Macro storage" select box.

When you right click a macro, you can convert it between file and bookmark (this is a copy, no file or bookmarks gets deleted).
Unfortunately, the process of conversion, you have demonstrated, does not work for me.
SAKERHET

Post by SAKERHET » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 pm

markOFFka wrote:
Tech Support wrote:To summarize: It seems the issue happens "only" when you want to store macros in bookmarks? Can everyone confirm this?
macro storage chrome.png

Unfortunately, the process of conversion, you have demonstrated, does not work for me.
Seconded. Converting works but creates a file called null.iim, which is empty and cannot be executed. :( .

Has anyone been succesful with downgrading Chrome to version 13?
SAKERHET

Post by SAKERHET » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Ok, found a workaround that worked for me. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit, intel pentium t4500.
  • -First download an old version of Chrome, for example this one: http://goo.gl/SujX9.
    -Uninstall Chrome
    -I am not sure if this is necessary but it might be wise to disconnect internet.
    -Install the old version of Chrome and run it. You might receive some error messages but you can ignore those.
    -Run iMacros, if not working connect to internet and re-install iMacros .
    -Now iMacros should be able to edit and run your macros.
I haven't been able to convert my Macro's but i was able to save my most important ones (who took over 5 hours to create) in a .txt document as a solid backup). It is possible to do your work now and you can save your macros now so no work is lost.

Good luck. And good luck to the dev's too!
Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 pm

gc83uk wrote:OK, this has happened to all my machines. All running either windows 7 or vista and either 32 or 64

Basically to me it appears all my macro files have been deleted. On closer inspection, when I open up the plugin and try to browse the list of macros, nothing is there, its empty. So I then went to the preferences section > Under path settings it says: C:\Users\(myname)\Documents\iMacros\Macros

So I navigated to this folder and to my surprise it didn't exist.

So I created the folders, two of them and then tried to re-record a new macro file. To my surprise upon saving and it playing it, it actually worked.

So I guess I'll have to re-record all my macros unless someone call tell me where the old ones might be stored?

Failing this would a system restore be of any use does anyone know and to force-stop chrome from auto-updating?

Gaz

Creating the folders shown in preferences does seem to allow you to save new macros but only if they are saved as files. Bookmarks do not seem to work correctly still.
crj55sts

Post by crj55sts » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 pm

gc83uk wrote:OK, this has happened to all my machines. All running either windows 7 or vista and either 32 or 64
Basically to me it appears all my macro files have been deleted. On closer inspection, when I open up the plugin and try to browse the list of macros, nothing is there, its empty. So I then went to the preferences section > Under path settings it says: C:\Users\(myname)\Documents\iMacros\Macros
So I navigated to this folder and to my surprise it didn't exist.
So I created the folders, two of them and then tried to re-record a new macro file. To my surprise upon saving and it playing it, it actually worked.
Gaz
I tried this suggestion but it did not work for me....I am trying to use bookmarks for my macros.

windows xp/media
chrome-14.0.835.186 m

I had google updater on on my laptop and this problem occurred. My wifes laptop did not have the google auto updater on and macros and chrome work fine on that machine.

I guess a lot more people are going to take the time to backup their macros after this.....
bobo2500

Post by bobo2500 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey everyone. I was having the same issues everyone else is talking about as well with chrome.

I did find a way around it though!

I created a new macro in Firefox using iMacros and then was able to make it run over in Chrome.

Hope this works for you too! I know i was going crazy without my macros
lewisss

Post by lewisss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:59 pm

I confirm to you tech support guys that all my macros were stored as bookmarks, I wasn't using macros as files.
Maybe the pb is only reproduced for people storing macros as bookmarks?
When I right-click and select "Convert Macro" as you suggested, it says "Macro duplicated in file storage", but then if I switch from the "bookmarks" view to the "files" view, it remains empty...
I hope this can help you to progress on a fix...
markOFFka

Post by markOFFka » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:46 am

lewisss wrote:I confirm to you tech support guys that all my macros were stored as bookmarks, I wasn't using macros as files.
Maybe the pb is only reproduced for people storing macros as bookmarks?
When I right-click and select "Convert Macro" as you suggested, it says "Macro duplicated in file storage", but then if I switch from the "bookmarks" view to the "files" view, it remains empty...
I hope this can help you to progress on a fix...
I fully agree with the previous post.
Isriam

Post by Isriam » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:25 pm

i posted in your forum weeks ago that this was an issue.

chrome 14, windows xp and windows 7 64bit.

2 different computers with 2 different operating systems. files and bookmarks no longer work. converting does not work. all files are empty/null.
gc83uk

Post by gc83uk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi,

Is anyone working on this or getting closer to a solution?

Really missing the macros. I did a system restore and got them working again on chrome 13, but having tried to upgrade to 14 again, the same thing happened.

I have also tried future versions such as chromium 16, again it stopped working on chromium 14. So no news there!

Thanks
splato

Post by splato » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 am

Yeap I have the same issue as described by the other board members. When I goto edit my bookmarklet macros from the iMacro menu they appear emtpy, however if I right click on the bookmarket macro on the bookmarks bar and go edit they still have the javascript tags in them.

Chrome: 14.0.835.186
iMacros: 3.5.3
OS's affected: Win7 64bit & Win XP 32bit

My friend who uses the exact same bookmarlet macros running the same versions of Chrome/iMacros & OS (win7 64bit) does not have this issue, so extremely puzzling.

What I have noticed is that if he exports his working bookmarklet macros and I import them into mine, iMacros still see's these freshly imported macros as empty, so a fresh import from a working machine and viewing them in edit mode from the iMacros menu, shows they have been wiped - which is also very interesting.

Have support been able to reproduce the actual issue?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Have support been able to reproduce the actual issue?
No :( ...it works on all our test machines. This makes this issue so strange. Nevertheless, we are working on some ideas that might fix this issue. Once we have a beta, I will update this thread. In the meantime, any hint on how to create this issue is helpful.

:arrow: Or, if you email support AT iopus.com we can give you a remote login to a test machine (e. g. with Win XP/Chrome14/iMacros installed).