Invoke macro from Webpage?

Share your tips, tricks and favorite iMacros macros, scripts and applications for web automation in general here.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team
michaelgb

Invoke macro from Webpage?

Post by michaelgb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 am

Is it possible to

1) download a macro to a local machine which can then
2) be invoked by clicking a link on a webpage?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:52 am

Hi,

Please see our online user guide for how to start a macro from a webpage:

http://www.iopus.com/imacros/help/start ... ebpage.htm

What you are looking for should be possible.

Daniel Kerr
iOpus Support
michaelgb

Thanks for note...quick follow-up

Post by michaelgb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:23 pm

thanks a lot for the quick response!

A question: the page you referrred to says

"In this example, iMacros needs to be installed locally. It will run on the client. This is contract to the ASP example, where iMacros runs on the server (invisible to the user). "

Does this mean that the macro somehow runs "visibible" to the user IF its invoked from a webpage?

What I want to do is
1) have user click on a link on a page
2) that starts the macro
3) open a "status" page
4) the macro does its thing
5) the macro updates the status page once it's gone through one loop

and to have the macro basically run invisible to the user.

Is what I described possible, or difficulty? When the user clicks on the link will they get some kind of "warning" that the macro is starting and be asked to approve it to run (e.g., like that active x warning I constantly get on other sites).

Thanks again. I just bought this last night and haven't had a chance to use it, but it looks very cool!
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for highlighting an interesting spelling mistake in the user manual! This should of course read "...is contrary to the ASP example,..."

So the example given starts a macro on the client PC, and hence requires a local installation. In the ASP example the macro runs on the server, and hence the client does not require an iMacros installation.

The macro is running on the server not on the client PC so no warning should be generated.

Daniel Kerr
iOpus Support