Extract data from Website and post into Excel

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
nveeravalli

Extract data from Website and post into Excel

Post by nveeravalli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi,

Since I am an apsolute beginner I need some directions in how to create macro to extract data from for instance some kind of web page directory. For instance we have page like this:

I am using iOpus Scripting Edition, please provide me a solution for this. I appreciate for your step by step procedure. I dont have any knowledge in programming, please help me out with a best procedure.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Name: XXX XXX
Phone: XXX XXX
Address: XXX XXX
Name: YYY YYY
Phone: YYY YYY
Address: YYY YYY
Name: ZZZ ZZZ
Phone: ZZZ ZZZ
Address: ZZZ ZZZ
Click Previous Page Click Next Page
----------------------------------------------------------------

By selecting Click next page web page returns next 3 values and they are always in the same position on the web page.
I need to create loop to extract data then click on next then extract data again and so on...
However I need all this extracted in single excel file or csv... There are several hundred pages...
It does not have to be complicated, I would not mind even if I am able to save complete page as text, then select next page etc and copied to excel or csv. In excel table it should be pasted one bellow other one...
I tried to search for example like this but I was not able to find it...
Thanks...
Daniel, Tech Support

Re: Extract data from Website and post into Excel

Post by Daniel, Tech Support » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Hello,

Have you already seen this wiki article?

Best regards,
Daniel, iOpus Support
nveeravalli

Post by nveeravalli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Daniel,

I checked out that link and other related links...but i was unable to get the expected results.

Can you please help me out.
nveeravalli

Post by nveeravalli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:55 pm

I am unable to integrate the vbs code to get the data into csv. Please help me out with a solution.
nveeravalli

Post by nveeravalli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 pm

hi,

I was successful in extracting the data from website and posting it into excel but how to get into the next page and continue the loop???

How to integrate the vb script with macros. Please provide me the steps to do the process??
shazeem

Post by shazeem » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 am

Hi,

can u please help with the basic code for extracting data from a webpage and save it in an excel sheet. suppose i have to login into the gmail and save the names of the mails in a column in excel.

Thanks in Advance.
Marcia, Tech Support

Post by Marcia, Tech Support » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:05 am

Hello,

You can use iMacros commands to extract data and save in a CSV file, like in the Demo -Extract-Table. CSV files are fully compatible with Excel.

Or you can use VBA inside Excel to access iMacros, submitting values from the spreadsheet to the website, and/or updating the spreadsheet with values extracted from the website. See the VBA wiki section for an example.
shazeem

Post by shazeem » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 am

Hi Marcia..

Thanks for your help. Now its done, the data extraction and saving into an excel. now i have go another small problem. Is there any way of extracting the data into particular columns in a sheet?. and one more thing, i had tried using variables but it shows error when i use more than 9 variables in a single macro. Please help me out.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Shazeem bin salam.
shazeem

Post by shazeem » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 am

Hi Marcia,

please help me with this post.."Problem in using variable and Error in saving extracted data"

Thanks in Advance,

Shazeem bin salam.
maxieboy

Post by maxieboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 am

Hi,
Please help. I am having the exact same problems as you were trying to extract the same type of information as you and putting it in to an excel sheet.

Please can somebody give me a step by step reply as to how to do this. I have looked at the help site and just am at my wits end.

Please help.
schnecksarah

Post by schnecksarah » Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am

hi,,,,
1. Launch OutWit Hub
2. Go to the Desired Web Page
3. Export the Table into an Excel Spreadsheet
4. Use the Catch Panel
5. Application Examples
maxieboy

Post by maxieboy » Sun May 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. However, I really do not understand what the 'outwit hub' is or how to export it to an excel sheet.

I am really sorry to sound so stupid here but I really do need help with this.

Many Thanks