Can I execute tests on a remote machine with iMacros?

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
ivadt

Can I execute tests on a remote machine with iMacros?

Post by ivadt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am

Hi,

I am very new to iMacros and I searched through the FAQ's and the search box, but I couldn't find an answer to my question...
I know that Selenium Grid can be used to execute tests on a remote machine and it helps in case you want to distribute tests
on several machines (parallel execution) for example.
Do we have similar capabilities with iMacros?

Thanks in advance!
chivracq

Re: Can I execute tests on a remote machine with iMacros?

Post by chivracq » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 am

My 2cts:

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "remote machine"... If the iMacros Browser or the iMacros Add-on is physically installed on that Machine and you access it through Remote Desktop or TeamViewer for example, then yes you can run Scripts on that "remote machine"... If you mean stg else, then I don't know, explain a bit your Configuration...

Concerning "parallel Execution and distributed Tests", this FAQ may (partially) answer your Question:
Load Testing
This approach requires that each simulated user has his own browser instance. You can run several instances of iMacros at once, thus simulating concurrent users. This approach works very well for 1...50 users per average PC. The limit is only the number of IE or Firefox instances than can run on your machine. As a rule of thumb, simulating up to 50 concurrent users on a single machine is no problem.
Last edited by chivracq on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks a lot for the reply!

By remote machine I meant something different than Remote Desktop or TeamViewer.
I want to use the iMacros Scripting Interface to write my test scenarios in Java. And then I would like to have the test's code
on my physical machine, but to run the test on another physical or virtual machine.
Do you think it is possible?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:36 pm

I'm not very familiar with the Scripting Interface as I only use the Browser Add-on, mostly on Firefox but I would think that if from your "Remote Machine", you can "see" the Directory where you've got your Macros stored, then I would expect it to be possible...

From iMacros Settings / Paths / Folder Macros / Browse for Folder, I can see and access a Directory in 'My Network Places', then it should be OK, I would think... And you may want to make a Mapping to your Macro Folder...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 pm

As far as I understand you suggest that I run the tests from the remote machine
and just use a Macro, saved on my machine - accessing it through the network...
My wish is that I command the running of the tests through my own machine and delegate
only the execution to the remote machine.

Something like below diagram - my machine should be a test runner and command the executing of the tests on a few other machines...

Last edited by ivadt on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

ivadt wrote:As far as I understand you suggest that I run the tests from the remote machine
and just use a Macro, saved on my machine - accessing it through the network...
My wish is that I command the running of the tests through my own machine and delegate
only the execution to the remote machine.

Something like below diagram - my machine should be a test runner and command the executing of the tests on a few other machines...

Those were my 2cts to what I think/thought I understand/understood about your Question but I might be completely wrong and telling you nonsense... :oops:

Could you point at some Link with Documentation about the similar Functionality that you mentioned about Selenium Grid...?

The 'Load Testing' FAQ Link that I mentioned earlier did not help you either...?

Hope otherwise for somebody else (from TechSupport maybe or somebody maybe using the Configuration that you are seeking) to give you a more "enlighted" point of view...

The Google Redirect on your Image is not working on the Forum, I think I've corrected it in my Quote...
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Here is the official documentation of the selenium grid:
http://docs.seleniumhq.org/docs/07_selenium_grid.jsp

I'm not sure what is the problem with the picture in my previous post as I don't have problem
seeing it - nevertheless I've changed the path to match yours, hope it is visible now...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:41 pm

ivadt wrote:Here is the official documentation of the selenium grid:
http://docs.seleniumhq.org/docs/07_selenium_grid.jsp

I'm not sure what is the problem with the picture in my previous post as I don't have problem
seeing it - nevertheless I've changed the path to match yours, hope it is visible now...
Grrr!, yes I know where to find the whole Documentation for Selenium Grid and i used it myself for a while together with several useful Firefox Add-ons (well actually "used it" is a bit exaggerated, more true is that I have experimented with it for a while a few years ago, to see if it could automate better certain Pages iMacros has/had problems with...), so the 'Quick Start' for Selenium is not helping me..., and I won't be going through the whole Selenium Wiki to maybe find out what you mean... I meant a direct Link to exactly what you mean...

Your image is indeed now visible (for me) in your original Post...

No Answer about my Question about the 'Load Testing' FAQ...?
I guess it's a 'No' if you don't even answer it, but the reason(s) why will maybe help me understand your own Question and your motivation a bit better...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 pm

And maybe another stupid Question (from me!), but what actually will you want to test? Can you explain a bit the whole picture of your Requirements...? What do you need to do with iMacros...?
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Here is a video (no need to watch it till the end) where you can get the idea of what I'm aiming to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II0ybIrJkKI

Your link to the FAQ, regarding Load Testing didn't help me, because as I understand it, its purpose is to
perform stress testing on the system and that's not exactly what I want.

My tests are more likely to be functional - I need iMacros to interact with the web page for me (click on buttons
and links, select radio buttons and tick checkboxes, enter text in fields, submit forms... etc.), but in order to
verify that the application's behaviour is what I've expected it to be, I will need to add some advanced
logic to my tests. I intend to achieve that using Java along with the iMacros scripting interface.
Once I have my tests written I would like to be able to run them on different virtual machines
that have different Operating Systems and different Browser Versions in order to cover more
possible use cases...

I hope my requirements sound clearer now!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 pm

I watched the Video you linked to, but found it difficult to follow for sbd like me who's not completely familiar with Selenium-Grid, as there was very little explanation, only in the Video Description. The music was nice but it would have been more useful to explain what it/he was doing... And funny but distracting to see all the Skype Popups!

The Link to the Selenium-Grid Documentation you gave earlier though proved to be more relevant than I first thought, as I only focused on the 'Quick Start' and "What is Selenium-Grid?' Titles without actually reading the Content. I understand now what you mean and want, together with your Requirements, especially concerning the different OS'es and Browsers (Versions).

The FAQ for Load Testing is indeed relevant for Stress Testing but could be useful as well for dividing your complete Test Suite into several Test Sets that could be run concurrently to complete quicker, as well as for different Browsers on the same Machine and even Browser Versions (maybe with User Agent Switcher...), but you won't cover the different OS'es, I'm afraid... And I've never tried to use iMacros on a Virtual Machine (yet! (You give me some (bad!) ideas...!))...

But concerning your original Question, I don't have the Answer for you, you would need some Feedback from TechSupport or from sbd who's (tried to) use(d) iMacros previously for the same purpose like you...
To get some Answer from TechSupport, you may want to open a Ticket, as this Forum is more "Users helping Users" and TechSupport don't monitor it and participate very actively. They are far more reactive for (potential) Customers of the Commercial Edition that you will need if you end up using the Scripting Interface...
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 am

I've followed your advice and wrote a ticket to the support.
Here is what they've answered me:
Yes, you can run iMacros on multiple virtual machines, but iMacros itself does not provide any functionality or infrastructure for remotely running or coordinating those instances.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:28 am

ivadt wrote:I've followed your advice and wrote a ticket to the support.
Here is what they've answered me:
Yes, you can run iMacros on multiple virtual machines, but iMacros itself does not provide any functionality or infrastructure for remotely running or coordinating those instances.
Okay..., thanks for letting us know...

And, will you take that path (handling "manually" your Script(s) running on multiple (Virtual) Machines with iMacros), or will you rather take the Selenium-Grid road...?
ivadt

Post by ivadt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 am

Actually this doesn't depend entirely on me.
I need to do a research and list some possible automation tools along with their features.

When this is completed - a discussion will be organized and the most promising solution will be chosen.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

ivadt wrote:Actually this doesn't depend entirely on me.
I need to do a research and list some possible automation tools along with their features.

When this is completed - a discussion will be organized and the most promising solution will be chosen.
OK..., sounds challenging!

If you feel like sharing, at that time, that could be very interesting, and I'm sure other Users would be interested..., to hear about the strong and weak points of different Automating Solutions, including iMacros...

I recently looked a bit myself at Neotys (NeoLoad) and AutoIt, 2 interesting Automation Products, but for my own needs, iMacros is still the best Solution... :D

Good luck...