Creating Bookmark in FF

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Toonces

Creating Bookmark in FF

Post by Toonces » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm new to iMacros, but so far I've not been able to find the answer. I apologize if it's blatantly obvious and I'm just missing things.

I'd like the macro to be able to bookmark the current page to a specific bookmark folder.

How can I do this?
chivracq

Re: Creating Bookmark in FF

Post by chivracq » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:23 pm

I would think it is not possible, unless iMacros will be able able to produce a "Ctrl^d" that the Browser will intercept and understand, but then I'm very doubtful if you'll manage to specify a specific Folder.

With Firefox, you can use the EVENT Mode which is able to trigger Keystrokes.

Maybe something like this will work:

Code: Select all

EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=* Char="d" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
Have a look at this Thread for more info:
CTRL-A not getting recorded
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 am

OK, after a bit of Testing,

Code: Select all

EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR=* Char="d" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
does trigger the 'Bookmark this Page' Dialog, but then I can't find a way to interact with it, in Record nor in Replay Mode...

SELECTOR then needs a Name to respond to Tab(9)/Enter(13)/Alt^t/Change the name, etc...
And the Record Mode doesn't record anything...

ONDIALOG doesn't do anything.

!EXTRACTDIALOG is not supported in Firefox...

X/Y doesn't work either...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
Toonces

Post by Toonces » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks, that got me further but as chivracq, the process dies there.

For the time being, I've managed to work around the issue with an add-on for executing external applications and AutoIt. Not an optimal solution, though it should be sufficient for my needs. I'll continue to see if I can refine things, but I can at least go about doing what I was looking to do.

The assistance is appreciated.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Which Add-on...?
(And decompiling that Add-on could give me some ideas...!)

I only looked at pure iMacros ways to do it, maybe there is a way to do it from JavaScript, that would be a path to explore...

Bookmarks in Firefox are saved in some sqlite Object, I think, and I would be surprised if there is not a way to manipulate those Objects from JavaScript, eventually using some external Libraries...

Other path to explore, I remember Tom from TechSupport posting a few months ago a Msg about some way to communicate with the Firefox DOM, maybe that could bring stg interesting...
Toonces

Post by Toonces » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 pm

It's called simply "External Application Buttons". It runs a compiled AutoIt application, which executes a key combination using Quicklinks to bookmark. Unfortunately Firefox intercepts he key combinations before it gets to Quicklinks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... on-button/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... k/?src=api
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 am

Toonces wrote:It's called simply "External Application Buttons". It runs a compiled AutoIt application, which executes a key combination using Quicklinks to bookmark. Unfortunately Firefox intercepts he key combinations before it gets to Quicklinks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... on-button/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... k/?src=api
OK, thanks a lot, that already gives me some ideas, but I'll need to do some Testing/Exploring/Experimenting, I've started to experiment with AutoIt very recently only some 2 weeks ago (twice playing with it for a few hours...). And I'm usually quite creative with my Solutions, so we'll see what comes out...! :oops: