NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
mevsme

NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000

Post by mevsme » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am

NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getCharPref] (Error code: -1001)
I had working scripts but they are not working now, after update, I guess.
Imacros 8.8.1
FF 28.0 (beta branch)
chivracq

Re: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x

Post by chivracq » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

mevsme wrote:NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getCharPref] (Error code: -1001)
I had working scripts but they are not working now, after update, I guess.
Imacros 8.8.1
FF 28.0 (beta branch)
After Update of iMacros or FF?
If iMacros, downgrade to v8.60, check that your Script works, re-update to v8.8.1 and confirm that you get the Problem again.

And if you don't post your Script and the "faulty" Line, there is not much anybody can do to try to reproduce your Problem...

Hum, but I've seen this Error Msg recently, checking... and I come back...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am

chivracq wrote:Hum, but I've seen this Error Msg recently, checking... and I come back...
OK, found it:
iMacros 8.6.0 Loop-Csv-2-Web.iim example not working
Problem in this other Thread occurred already with iMacros v8.60 and could be reproduced using the Demo-Loop-2-Csv Macro... So can you confirm that you get the pb with the Demo as well...?
Problem seemed related to using FF29, and you are using FF28. v.8.8.1 still "only" supports FF27 officially.
I'm still at FF27 (v27.0.1), and I don't get the Problem...

And if the Problem is indeed related to FF29, the only thing you can do is downgrade to FF27, I think...
(TechSupport didn't react on the other Thread...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
mevsme

Post by mevsme » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Yeah, I think it's FF problem. Will try to downgrade.

My script:

Code: Select all

ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=* FILE=*
TAG POS=1 TYPE=IMG ATTR=CLASS:spotlight CONTENT=EVENT:SAVEITEM
After Update of iMacros or FF?
Don't know exactly, I did both, will try to roll back.
mevsme

Post by mevsme » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Any ideas?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm

mevsme wrote:Any ideas?
Well, if the Pb comes from FF28 and FF29, 'Sightunseen' has confirmed in the original Thread that it is still broken with iMacros v8.8.1, there is not much that can be done as long as there is no new Version of iMacros that officially "supports" FF28 and FF29, as FF27 is not impacted...

Can you identify/mention from your side what has changed between FF27 and FF28/29...?

You didn't confirm from your side either if you can reproduce the Pb with the Demo-Macro like 'Sightunseen' did...
lanx

Post by lanx » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 am

Just updated to FF 28 and immediately faced the same issues: iMacros can no longer retrieve data from external CSV datasources.
stergema

Post by stergema » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Same issue, whats the workaround?
thanks.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Indeed, I can reproduce the Problem, updated FF v27.0.1 to FF v28.0 with iMacros v8.8.1 for FF on WinXP SP3 and I get the same Problem indeed, testing with Demo-Loop-CSV-2-Web.iim.

4 Solutions:

- Wait until a new Version of iMacros for FF is released... But the Problem got first reported on 09 Feb 2014 in the other Thread I mentioned earlier, some 6 weeks ago, so before v8.8.1 was released and TechSupport never mentioned they had noticed the Thread, so I don't know how long we'll have to wait for a new Version...

- Downgrade back to FF27 can be a Solution...

- Pale Moon (= Forked Firefox focusing on Stability and Performance) got updated this afternoon as well, from v24.4.0 to v24.4.1 to patch as well the 4 FF Exploits from Pwn2Own (like FF28) and is not impacted by the Problem... So that could be a Solution...
(I've been using Pale Moon for the last 4 or 6 weeks and I find it much more stable than Firefox itself and much less Memory greedy... Only Drawback I've found so far is that the 1st Run is a pain in the ass after copying your FF Profile, it will need to restart for each and every Add-on, and that can be painful if you have like me 50-60 Add-ons installed...!)

- But the easiest Workaround I found is to open once your .CSV File in Notepad and to re-save it directly with UTF-8 Encoding...
EDIT: Make sure to select UTF-8 with BOM on MacOS Editors.
(Thanks to 'Jimifire', see Details on P2 of the Thread.)
(Tested on iMacros v8.8.1 for FF, FF v28.0 on WinXP SP3)
Last edited by chivracq on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidpoor

Post by davidpoor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the PALEMOON reference - I installed it and my macros work again!

Perhaps not an ideal solution as I would prefer to be running the latest versions of Firefox and iMacos, but it is a viable work-around until the issues are resolved.

PS: I was getting -1001 errors on TAB commands...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

davidpoor wrote:Thanks for the PALEMOON reference - I installed it and my macros work again!

Perhaps not an ideal solution as I would prefer to be running the latest versions of Firefox and iMacos, but it is a viable work-around until the issues are resolved.

PS: I was getting -1001 errors on TAB commands...
Hi David, nice to see you on the Forum...

Didn't the trick to re-save your Datasource as UTF-8 work for you...?
(At least with Demo-CSV...iim, I would like sbd to confirm that it works for them as well...)
Hum, "on TAB" Commands...!?, then the UTF-8 Trick wouldn't be relevant indeed... That's new Information...
Last edited by chivracq on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wireball

Post by Wireball » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you for mentioning the UTF-8 encoding trick. Previously (with ANSI encoding), it would throw this error instantly upon attempting to execute the macro:

"NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getCharPref] (Error code: -1001)"

I used Notepad++ to re-save the macro (just modifying the datasource wasn't enough) with UTF-8 encoding, and suddenly it runs fine under Firefox 28.0.0 and iMacros 8.8.1.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

Wireball wrote:Thank you for mentioning the UTF-8 encoding trick. Previously (with ANSI encoding), it would throw this error instantly upon attempting to execute the macro:

"NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getCharPref] (Error code: -1001)"

I used Notepad++ to re-save the macro (just modifying the datasource wasn't enough) with UTF-8 encoding, and suddenly it runs fine under Firefox 28.0.0 and iMacros 8.8.1.
Oh good!, I'm glad sbd can confirm that it works, you are the 1st one.
garyst1981

Post by garyst1981 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Same here, scripts that were working with Firefox 27 and iMacros 8.8.1 are now not working after upgrading to Firefox 28, this just happens when using CSV files. Im getting the same error. I've found this on both Mac OSX and Windows 7 systems

The "easiest workaround" mentioned 4 posts ^ worked for me on my Firefox 28 + iMacros 8.8.1 + Windows 7

I tried to do the same thing on my Mac using
  • - Text Wrangler
    - Text Edit
    - Libre Office
With no success, only the file modified on Windows 7's notepad worked on the Mac.
NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getCharPref], line 4 (Error code: -1001)
www.gustavorivera.com.mx
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:37 am

Thanks Gary, Nb2 to confirm that my Workaround works, even with the extra difficulties (and Workaround) on MacOS...

I'm a bit surprised we still don't hear anything from TechSupport although the Problem was reported some 6 weeks ago (09 Feb 2014) and I reckon they now must be getting oodles of Tickets about this Problem in the Official Tech Support Channel...