extracted data saving to one cell?

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
crazythedon

extracted data saving to one cell?

Post by crazythedon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently just started using imacro. I am trying to develop a script that extracts a bunch of emails from Google and saves them to a .csv file. However, when it creates the .csv file all the emails are saved in one cell, the first one . Any help is appreciated, thank you! :)
Last edited by crazythedon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.
chivracq

Re: extracted data saving to one cell?

Post by chivracq » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:33 am

OK, you've changed the google.ca into google.com, that works better... But you've manually added a "CONTENT={{!EXTRACT}}" fairly at the End of your Script which doesn't make sense...

But OK, I'm able to run your Script until TAB=2, can you post the URL of your Extractor Utility...?

But you do one SAVEAS of one EXTRACT, so it's normal that you will end up with all the Data in one Cell, from what I can read from your Script...

And mention if you want the E-mail Addresses in one Column different Rows, or one Row different Columns...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
crazythedon

Post by crazythedon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:28 am

Hello chivracq,

Thanks for your reply. I have updated my first post with my most recent code.. it works good but I'm still having trouble with it saving to one cell. I would like all the emails to extract to one column, but 1 email per row.

Here is the link to the extractor:

Note: In order for the script to work, set your Google search preferences to about 100 search results a page first.

Last edited by crazythedon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 pm

crazythedon wrote:Hello chivracq,

Thanks for your reply. I have updated my first post with my most recent code.. it works good but I'm still having trouble with it saving to one cell. I would like all the emails to extract to one column, but 1 email per row.

Here is the link to the extractor: Extractor

Note: In order for the script to work, set your Google search preferences to about 100 search results a page first.

OK, I was able to run your Script completely, or at least long enough to be able to reproduce the main behaviour (interesting Utility btw, this E-mail/URL Extractor, even if it's a bit rough in its final Results...!). My understanding is that the Extractor inserts a New Line as a Separator which is correctly interpreted by the Browser in the Extractor Output Display Window, + the iMacros EXTRACT Test Popup Window + the iMacros/Browser PROMPT Popup, must be a "<br>" or a "CR" (Carriage Return), but if you then open your .CSV File in Notepad, you get all the Data in one Row with the CR translated into some square Character.

WordPad does a better job and is able to interpret the CR as a Hard Return, so that may be the easiest Solution for you, open your File in WordPad and Copy&Paste its Content into Excel.

Excel (or I use OpenOffice Calc) is able to see this CR and interprets it as a Soft Return within one Cell. If you could identify what Character it is, you could use it a Separator in Excel when importing the .CSV File (but I didn't really search...).

So the WordPad path looks to me like the best option...
Or you need to extract the E-mail Addresses and to save them one by one, because for iMacros, one SAVEAS = one Row of Data in the .CSV File...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
crazythedon

Post by crazythedon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello again chivracq,

Seems like you are right. The emails list perfectly fine when viewed in wordpad. Guess that will do, thanks a bunch!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 pm

crazythedon wrote:Hello again chivracq,

Seems like you are right. The emails list perfectly fine when viewed in wordpad. Guess that will do, thanks a bunch!
OK, glad I could help...

But I spend some time and energy to help you for you but for other People as well who may have one day the same Question, it's not the Aim of the Game that once you've got your Answer you remove all Info allowing to understand and follow the Problem and the Solution...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Oh...!, grrrr...!! :mrgreen: , I was looking for this Thread to refer some other User to it for the following similar Thread, but @OP has completely removed their Script and truncated their Posts which now renders this Thread a bit useless for other Users with a similar Case... :shock:
- Re: Need help with simple google result page extract

Exact Reason why I now systematically always quote all Posts, but OK, looks like I wasn't doing it yet in 2014... :roll:

+ Other similar/related Threads:
- Find email on webpage
- extract email from text