Running Imacro in multiple windows.

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
KiEni

Running Imacro in multiple windows.

Post by KiEni » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:03 am

Is anyone having trouble running iMacro in multiple windows? When I have iMacro running in one window and I run iMacro in another window, iMacro in the first windows pauses.

CIM:
Firefox: 35
iMacro: 8.8.8
Windows 8.1 64 bit
chivracq

Re: Running Imacro in multiple windows.

Post by chivracq » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:41 am

OK for 'FCI' (the "M" in 'CIM' stands for "Missing"...).

I do run several Macros in parallel in different Browser Instances (same Profile) and I don't (really) encounter problems but I'm not sure we do the same "things"... I don't really understand your "iMacro in the first windows pauses", "windows" + "pauses" is grammatically incorrect so it's not clear if only the first Window (without "s"...) "pauses" or each time you launch a new Window + Macro, all previous Macros "pause" (without "s"...). And does "pause" mean that the Macro pauses for a few seconds before running further or does it stop and hang...?

What I do is I have 3 or 4 Instances of my Browser and 2 or 3 Macros (different .iim Scripts) running at the same time, and sometimes I do notice a Macro pausing for a few seconds, but it happens when the Browser Instances have been open for several days en when loading some heavy Page with 600 repeated Blocks with lots of JavaScript on the Page and some Flash Object and I have somewhere a Page loaded with another Flash Object running. The Flash Player (for FF) seems to have difficulties with multi Threads... But I have 150-200 Tabs loaded across my 3-4 Browser Instances, so I don't really go for Performance anyway... Oh, and I have one JavaScript Script (not iMacros) running continuously on one of my Pages doing 40-100 Click Actions and about 20 Calculations per Second... (My Config: iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v24.6.2 (=FF31), Win7-x64.)

How many Macros/Browser Instances do you have running at the same time? Look at the CPU/RAM Consumption...
How many Tabs are loaded in total across your Browser Instances...?
Do all Windows run the same Macro or different Macros...? The '!VARn' Variables are said to interfere with each others when running several .iim Macros at the same time, though I've never encountered the Problem, I think..., at least that I have noticed... The Solution then is to run the different Macros in different FF Profiles and to have a minimum Set of Add-ins installed on all Profiles.

Firefox is known for fairly poor Memory Management and Memory Leaks, that's why I use Pale Moon instead which is a FF Forked Browser optimized for Performance...

.iim Macro(s) or .js Macro(s)?
Last edited by chivracq on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
KiEni

Post by KiEni » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 am

I was running only 2 macros/browser instances at a time. Each with just 1 tab open. I was running .js macros. The problem is when I run my 2nd macro in the 2nd browser the 1st macro pauses. It stops running the script and just pause and it continues if I stop the 2nd macro. I also noticed if I were running only 1 macro and if I click and drag the browser window, that the macro is running in, the macro also pauses. The same happens when I click on settings on the firefox toolbar.
skippyto

Post by skippyto » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 am

Hi KiEni,

Did you play your macros in two different profiles ? (with "firefox -P" command line option)

Skippyto.
KiEni

Post by KiEni » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm

No same profile.
skippyto

Post by skippyto » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:33 am

I think you can try to create a profile for each macro you want to play simultaneously.

It's the way I am working for many years now, and I never had any issue. I never retry playing two macros in the same profile (which never worked for me) since I discovered the ability of firefox to launch different profiles.

Skippyto.
KiEni

Post by KiEni » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:16 am

Yeah I tried the two profile thing and it worked. It's weird because before I been running it in the same profile it was working fine.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 am

Yep, using different Profiles is indeed the (advised) way (by TechSupport) to run several Macros in Parallel (that's why I mentioned "same Profile" in my first Reply) even if it works good enough for me as well using only one Profile and I have until now been too lazy to create multiple Profiles...

And it's difficult to find the reason why it doesn't work anymore for you with one Profile, you didn't answer if you run the same Macro or different Macros, if running the same Macro you could have tried to duplicate it with a different name, it could be related to some specific Command in your Macro(s), and it could be related to some other Add-on interfering...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
KiEni

Post by KiEni » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:19 am

chivracq wrote:Yep, using different Profiles is indeed the (advised) way (by TechSupport) to run several Macros in Parallel (that's why I mentioned "same Profile" in my first Reply) even if it works good enough for me as well using only one Profile and I have until now been too lazy to create multiple Profiles...

And it's difficult to find the reason why it doesn't work anymore for you with one Profile, you didn't answer if you run the same Macro or different Macros, if running the same Macro you could have tried to duplicate it with a different name, it could be related to some specific Command in your Macro(s), and it could be related to some other Add-on interfering...
I'm running different macros in one profile. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Hmm I'll try removing some add-ons and see what happens thanks for the advice.

EDIT:
I just tried the to see if removing add-ons would work but nope I still can't run two macros in the same profile. I tried the same thing with pale moon and it doesn't work as well.