Security Question- check if Imacros COM Object is spoofed???

Discussions and Tech Support related to automating the iMacros Browser or Internet Explorer from any scripting and programming language, such as VBS (WSH), VBA, VB, Perl, Delphi, C# or C++.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
cchappell

Security Question- check if Imacros COM Object is spoofed???

Post by cchappell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I've been thinking of creating a product using Imacros.

I have a question regarding using it securely.

It looks like with the scripting edition you are basically automating a COM Object.

My concern is the following:

What if a hacker creates a malicious COM object and installs it on clients computer.

You send personally identifiable information to Imacros to fill a web form. But instead the malicious COM object intercepts the information instead.

Is there anyway to test programmatically to be sure that Imacros has not been spoofed or tampered with

When I call Imacros. I actually want to know I using the COM object from Iopus and are not using a "spoofed" COM object designed to steal my info and then pass it to Imacros to run.

I'm thinking Imacros is popular and could one day be a target of something like this.

How would I check programmatically that Imacros being used in the script is not a rogue com object but the real thing?

Thanks,

Chris Chappell
chivracq

Re: Security Question- check if Imacros COM Object is spoofe

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 pm

cchappell wrote:I've been thinking of creating a product using Imacros.

I have a question regarding using it securely.

It looks like with the scripting edition you are basically automating a COM Object.

My concern is the following:

What if a hacker creates a malicious COM object and installs it on clients computer.

You send personally identifiable information to Imacros to fill a web form. But instead the malicious COM object intercepts the information instead.

Is there anyway to test programmatically to be sure that Imacros has not been spoofed or tampered with

When I call Imacros. I actually want to know I using the COM object from Iopus and are not using a "spoofed" COM object designed to steal my info and then pass it to Imacros to run.

I'm thinking Imacros is popular and could one day be a target of something like this.

How would I check programmatically that Imacros being used in the script is not a rogue com object but the real thing?

Thanks,

Chris Chappell
CIM...! :mrgreen:

My 2 cts:
It is indeed possible to modify the iMacros Add-on (for FF at least), I've already done it, I used some maybe 2 years ago for a few months a customized Version of iMacros for FF (until my Changes once got overwritten during some iMacros Update).

I am using iMacros for FF v8.8.2 with Pale Moon v24.6.2 (=FF31) on Win7-x64 and a (maybe a bit cumbersome) way to do what you want would be to (mis)use the 'CHECKSUM' Parameter/Command from the 'ONDOWNLOAD' Command on (for iMacros for FF) 'imacros.jar' (located for my PM Browser) in:
C:\Users\chivracq\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\yy8yzhlq.default\extensions\{81BF1D23-5F17-408D-AC6B-BD6DF7CAF670}\chrome
---------------------------
Checksum information
Name: imacros.jar
Size: 836993 bytes (0 MB)

SHA256: 53E554E22A00FB64787C839797E1E4E46D17336B39A99306AFD33619682EC86D

OK
You could upload this File at the beginning of your Macro to some Web-Site and download it back to be able to use the 'ONDOWNLOAD' Command.

Some easier way might be to use the Microsoft FCIM Tool (like explained on the 'CHECKSUM' Wiki-Page) and still for FF or PM, use the FF Add-on 'External Applications Button' with a Button on some mini .BAT File running the 'fcim' Command on that File, which will allow you with one Click from within your Browser to check the 'imacros.jar' File before actually running a Macro. And if you add a Shortcut onto that Button, you can even call it from a Macro using the EVENT Mode.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...