Firefox Memory Leak

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
acajo

Firefox Memory Leak

Post by acajo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Hello,

I'm having a problem with FF42 and a couple of previous version. I'm sure about FF40, but I don't know when the issue started.

I'm using iMacros for Firefox. When I leave my javascript macro to work, after some time, FF eats all my memory.

So, is it possible that iMacros is eating my memory and not FF?

I'm using a same javascript macro for a couple of years, I never experienced a memory leak problem before.

I tried to clean-install Firefox and iMacros, but still the same issue.

Everything happens on Win 7 SP1.

I think that I have this problem for a couple of months.

Because FF updates itself automatically and iMacros does the same thing, I'm not sure what causes the problem Firefox or iMacros (or something else)

Firefox literally eats 1GB and more in approx 15min - 30 min and computer becomes extremely slow, then I restart FF and so on.

Considering that I have to run imacros all day this becomes a real problem for me.

If someone has more information for the downgrade, either downgrading iMacros of Firefox, I would appreciate that info.

If someone experienced the similar issue, please share your experience.

Best regards,
-Acajo
chivracq

Re: Firefox Memory Leak

Post by chivracq » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:05 pm

acajo wrote:Hello,

I'm having a problem with FF42 and a couple of previous version. I'm sure about FF40, but I don't know when the issue started.

I'm using iMacros for Firefox. When I leave my javascript macro to work, after some time, FF eats all my memory.

So, is it possible that iMacros is eating my memory and not FF?

I'm using a same javascript macro for a couple of years, I never experienced a memory leak problem before.

I tried to clean-install Firefox and iMacros, but still the same issue.

Everything happens on Win 7 SP1.

I think that I have this problem for a couple of months.

Because FF updates itself automatically and iMacros does the same thing, I'm not sure what causes the problem Firefox or iMacros (or something else)

Firefox literally eats 1GB and more in approx 15min - 30 min and computer becomes extremely slow, then I restart FF and so on.

Considering that I have to run imacros all day this becomes a real problem for me.

If someone has more information for the downgrade, either downgrading iMacros of Firefox, I would appreciate that info.

If someone experienced the similar issue, please share your experience.

Best regards,
-Acajo
FCIM...! :mrgreen:
=> iMacros for FF v...?, FF42, Win7-SP1.

Mention your iMacros Version(s) to complete your FCI even if I know which Version you are currently probably using..., and I'll respond with more Info...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
acajo

Post by acajo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:44 am

I'm sorry, latest version of iMacros for Firefox 8.9.4.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:38 pm

acajo wrote:I'm sorry, latest version of iMacros for Firefox 8.9.4.
Good, now we have your FCI:

Code: Select all

iMacros for FF v8.9.4, FF42, Win7 SP1.
And "latest Version" usually doesn't mean much (but you mention the Version Number, so that's OK), as you always have 3-4 "latest Versions" for FF and 1-2-3-4 "latest Versions" for iMacros, and that won't mean anything anymore to sbd reading the Thread in a few weeks/months/years just like you are going to do for a few Threads I will refer you to...!
And yep, v8.9.4 is not the "latest Version", a v9.0 Beta Version has already been available since a few weeks...

Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, I don't react otherwise...
And that's why I never reacted to your first Thread a few weeks ago... :idea:

But OK, about your current Problem, searching the Forum for "Memory Leak" on my Posts already yields 8 Hits for 8 Threads, the oldest is from May 2014, I think I reacted in all Threads related to Memory Leak since that Date and older Threads might be less relevant for you, as they will involve much older Versions of FF and iMacros...

I am not going to repeat all I already said in those 8 Threads, they are all relevant and quite interesting to read (I just checked and re-read a few completely), Memory Leak with FF is not a recent Pb with FF40-42 and iMacros for FF v8.9x, I switched myself about 2 years now to Pale Moon (read all about it in those 8 Threads...!) because of Memory Leak on FF.
My current FCI:

iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v24.6.2 (=FF31), Win7-x64 SP1.
So I don't think the Pb is really related/new to FF40-42 / iMacros v8.9.4, I run/ran the same Scripts (though only .iim Scripts for my part) on the same iMacros Version(s) on FF and PM, they leak(ed) on FF and not on PM. Mitigating point is that I have to stick to a bit older Version of iMacros, v8.8.2 which is the latest Version to install on PM v24, so I didn't really run any Tests on v8.9.x on FF.

What is a bit new from your Thread is the 1Gb per 15-30 min Memory Consumption, I find it a lot... You would need to post your Script or a Script to reproduce your Pb, to see if you don't use any specific JavaScript or iMacros Command which uses some specific JS Command(s) (like the 'NOSCRIPT' Command you had mentioned in your first Thread for example...) which triggers the Memory Leak...

Read those 8 Threads and come back with your Results and what you've tried, they contain several other Workarounds (that can be combined) than just using PM...

Oh...!, and you can try the v9.0 Beta Version as well that I mentioned, it is available from the FF Version History Page... But it's still pretty buggy, I understood from a few other Threads...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
acajo

Post by acajo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Hello Chivracq,

You made a lot of wrong conclusions.

I already read everything you wrote before I posted on this board. There is no solution in your posts.

I don't agree with you, there is some sort of problem with iMacros for FF and FF in the last couple of versions of FF.

My script is not a problem, it was not changed for a couple of years and suddenly it makes problems in the last couple of versions of FF and iMacros for FF.

Read my post as a bug report, it's very similar to Firefox Crash, same versions, javascript macro etc.

I never said that I'm using NOSCRIPT command, I was talking about NoScript FF add-on and BTW solution for that problem is to switch to uBlock. (Read this as a bug report, you have a conflict with NoScript add-on too)

Only thing I can do is to downgrade as I said in my OP or iMacros team to investigate.

You have enough information in my OP and if you need more I'm here.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 pm

acajo wrote:Hello Chivracq,

You made a lot of wrong conclusions.

I already read everything you wrote before I posted on this board. There is no solution in your posts.

I don't agree with you, there is some sort of problem with iMacros for FF and FF in the last couple of versions of FF.

My script is not a problem, it was not changed for a couple of years and suddenly it makes problems in the last couple of versions of FF and iMacros for FF.

Read my post as a bug report, it's very similar to Firefox Crash, same versions, javascript macro etc.

I never said that I'm using NOSCRIPT command, I was talking about NoScript FF add-on and BTW solution for that problem is to switch to uBlock. (Read this as a bug report, you have a conflict with NoScript add-on too)

Only thing I can do is to downgrade as I said in my OP or iMacros team to investigate.

You have enough information in my OP and if you need more I'm here.
Hum, I don't really know how to react to your Post...

About "wrong Conclusions", it's not clear to me if you mean in my previous Post in this Current Thread (where I merely only ask you to read 8 previous relevant Threads, I can't guess you had already read them if you don't mention that and you don't refer at all to any previous Thread) or in those 8 Threads where I participated to try to help those Users with different Workarounds (you can't really speak of a "Solution" for FF Memory Leaks, the Solution is for the FF Dev Team to fix it, it's been a notorious Pb for a long time, that's why I switched to PM 2 years ago).
If you mean that I made wrong Conclusions in those 8 Threads, then I find your sentence a bit of a vague statement and I encourage you to react in those Threads or in your Thread with Quotes and Links to their respective Thread.

"There is no solution in your posts."
=> Hum, your Statement..., I have my own perfectly working Solution and I mentioned several other Workarounds that can be combined to come to a viable "Situation" to try to palliate FF Memory Leaks.
"The" Solution will be to fix FF Memory Leaks, but I don't have any Influence on that..., or only as a User like you, or even less than you as I don't use FF since more than 2 years...

It's possible that the Pb has become worse with the last couple of FF/iMacros Versions, I don't know about that as I don't use FF since 2 years again (since around FF24/25) and I stuck to iMacros for FF v8.8.2. There was already a Memory Leak Pb 2 years ago, that's why I switched to PM.

Yep the 'NOSCRIPT/NoScript' was just an Example that I thought would be relevant in your case, there is actually no 'NOSCRIPT' Command in iMacros, I thought you meant the 'showsteps' Switch, I quoted it from the top of my head from your other Thread with its very vague Description like "I have a Pb with NoScript...", no further Explanation...
You should update that Thread btw (with a new Post to bump it), it's a bit hopeless at this moment in its current state... I'm nearly surprised I reacted to your Current Thread as I usually don't react to new Threads when FCI is not mentioned in all Threads and previous Threads were not followed up neatly...

Well then for your Memory Leak Pb, you'll have to wait and hope that TechSupport notice your Thread and investigate it as I can't help you much any further...
You should mention if you can reproduce the Pb as well using the Demo-Macros like for any Bug Report...
And I mentioned v9.0 Beta but you didn't react to that...
les_stockton

Post by les_stockton » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm having the same issue. It's a memory leak. I've got it running now at this very moment. Memory is at 3,533,924 k and climbing. It'll crash soon.

I have posted on this issue before but never got any definitive help.

I suspect this issue is actually because of running javascript as a master to run the multiple iim files. That was also mentioned in this post, which is why I think it is related.

My firefox version is 43.0.1

iMacros for Firefox 8.9.4

For me, this only happened when I was upgraded to the version of Firefox that I was upgraded to about a month ago. Very frustrating.

I tried attaching the script, but had no luck no matter what extension I tried, the site doesn't allow txt, js, or even no extension.

//imacros-js:showsteps no

// With the imacros-js:showsteps command you can tell iMacros to show or
// not show the Javascript commands during the execution. 
// Showing steps is useful for debugging, but adds an artificial delay to each step.

// This command overrides the global settings in the Option Dialog.

// Note that the command is *inside* a comment "//", since it is no
// official Javascript command and is used in the iMacros JS interpreter only.

// There can be only one such command per JS file and it affects the complete file.

var i, retcode, iNumberToRun;
var strSecondsToWait;
var strURL;
var strFilterOnOff;
var intRandomNumber=Math.floor(Math.random()*100);	// 0-10
var intRandomIndex;
var macrolist = new Array();

iNumberToRun = 9	//macrolist.length

macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Thunder-2015.12.18");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Mavericks-2015.12.13");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Steelheads-2015.12.11");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Steelheads-2015.12.10");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Grizzlies-2015.12.03");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Rush-2015.12.02");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Mavericks-2015.11.29");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Thunder-2015.11.27");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Americans-2015.11.22");
macrolist.push("Oilers_PaintTheIce-2015.12.13");	// 10
// I have over 100 in the macrolist but I only posted 10 because the script dies before it even gets thru #2.

strSecondsToWait = "21";
strURL = "http://64.79.100.72/~ipvnowco/r.php?";
strFilterOnOff = "OFF";

//retcode = iimInit();
iimDisplay ("Flickr script running");

for (i=0; i < 175; i++)	/* was 145 */
{
    // if ((i % 5) = 0) {
		// retcode = iimExit();
		// retcode = iimInit();
    // }
//	intRandomIndex=Math.floor(Math.random()*(macrolist.length-iNumberToRun))+iNumberToRun-1;
	intRandomIndex=Math.floor(Math.random()*(macrolist.length-1));	intRandomNumber=2+Math.floor(Math.random()*8);

for (j = 0; j < iNumberToRun; j++) {
		iimDisplay("Pass: "+(i+1)+ " Step "+(j+1)+" of "+(iNumberToRun+1) + "\nMacro: "+macrolist[j]);
		retcode = iimSet("strSeconds", strSecondsToWait);
		retcode = iimSet("strURL", strURL);
		retcode = iimSet("strFilterOnOff", strFilterOnOff);
		retcode = iimSet("strDataSourceLine", intRandomNumber+'');
		try {
		retcode = iimPlay(macrolist[j]);
		retcode = iimClose();
		retcode = imacros.iimExit();
		}
		catch(err) { iimDisplay("Error with: "+macrolist[j]); }
	}
	//macrolist.length
	iimDisplay("Pass: "+(i+1)+ " Step "+(j+1)+" of "+(iNumberToRun+1) + "\nMacro: "+macrolist[intRandomIndex]);
	try {
	retcode = iimPlay(macrolist[intRandomIndex]);
	retcode = iimClose();
	}
}
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:18 pm

les_stockton wrote:I'm having the same issue. It's a memory leak. I've got it running now at this very moment. Memory is at 3,533,924 k and climbing. It'll crash soon.

I have posted on this issue before but never got any definitive help.

I suspect this issue is actually because of running javascript as a master to run the multiple iim files. That was also mentioned in this post, which is why I think it is related.

My firefox version is 43.0.1
iMacros for Firefox 8.9.4
For me, this only happened when I was upgraded to the version of Firefox that I was upgraded to about a month ago. Very frustrating.

I tried attaching the script, but had no luck no matter what extension I tried, the site doesn't allow txt, js, or even no extension.

//imacros-js:showsteps no

// With the imacros-js:showsteps command you can tell iMacros to show or
// not show the Javascript commands during the execution. 
// Showing steps is useful for debugging, but adds an artificial delay to each step.

// This command overrides the global settings in the Option Dialog.

// Note that the command is *inside* a comment "//", since it is no
// official Javascript command and is used in the iMacros JS interpreter only.

// There can be only one such command per JS file and it affects the complete file.

var i, retcode, iNumberToRun;
var strSecondsToWait;
var strURL;
var strFilterOnOff;
var intRandomNumber=Math.floor(Math.random()*100);	// 0-10
var intRandomIndex;
var macrolist = new Array();

iNumberToRun = 9	//macrolist.length

macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Thunder-2015.12.18");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Mavericks-2015.12.13");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Steelheads-2015.12.11");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Steelheads-2015.12.10");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Grizzlies-2015.12.03");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Rush-2015.12.02");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Mavericks-2015.11.29");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Thunder-2015.11.27");
macrolist.push("Oilers_v_Americans-2015.11.22");
macrolist.push("Oilers_PaintTheIce-2015.12.13");	// 10
// I have over 100 in the macrolist but I only posted 10 because the script dies before it even gets thru #2.

strSecondsToWait = "21";
strURL = "http://64.79.100.72/~ipvnowco/r.php?";
strFilterOnOff = "OFF";

//retcode = iimInit();
iimDisplay ("Flickr script running");

for (i=0; i < 175; i++)	/* was 145 */
{
    // if ((i % 5) = 0) {
		// retcode = iimExit();
		// retcode = iimInit();
    // }
//	intRandomIndex=Math.floor(Math.random()*(macrolist.length-iNumberToRun))+iNumberToRun-1;
	intRandomIndex=Math.floor(Math.random()*(macrolist.length-1));	intRandomNumber=2+Math.floor(Math.random()*8);

for (j = 0; j < iNumberToRun; j++) {
		iimDisplay("Pass: "+(i+1)+ " Step "+(j+1)+" of "+(iNumberToRun+1) + "\nMacro: "+macrolist[j]);
		try {
		retcode = iimPlay(macrolist[j]);
		retcode = iimClose();
		}
	}
	//macrolist.length
	iimDisplay("Pass: "+(i+1)+ " Step "+(j+1)+" of "+(iNumberToRun+1) + "\nMacro: "+macrolist[intRandomIndex]);
	try {
	retcode = iimPlay(macrolist[intRandomIndex]);
	retcode = iimClose();
	}
}
You can only upload Images and Compressed Files as Attachments to the Forum (Max Size = 256Kb)...
But for a Script, I find it more handy to post it in plain Text with the CODE Tag in your Msg like you did...

TechSupport (Tom) now aware of the Problem/Thread, but it's a bit of Xmas and Holiday time now..., and I don't know if anybody else from TechSupport is monitoring the Forum a bit...:
> On the FF Sub-Forum, there is one Thread about "Firefox Memory Leak" that could use some TechSup insight/testing...

Probably won't happen until after I return from holiday.
Maybe if sbd has a Support License, you could try to open a Ticket (and referring to those 2 Threads), TechSupport is then more "reactive" than on the Forum... :idea:

They will need a Script to reproduce but your Script looks a lot inspired from the 'Self-Test.js' Demo-Macro, so it shouldn't be difficult to adapt...
Nobody btw has mentioned if you already manage to reproduce the Pb using the plain Demo...
les_stockton

Post by les_stockton » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I ran the self test demo, but it doesn't do as much as my script. I did notice it consistently taking up more memory though. If it had kept running, it might've had the same issue.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Some other User with the same Pb...:
- iMacros and RAM