How to Find words from a wordbank?

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
taimysho0

How to Find words from a wordbank?

Post by taimysho0 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Hello

Can imacros look into a wordbank for a list of words and search/highlight for these words if they appear on the browser page im looking at?

so for example if i goto this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/busin ... .html?_r=0

i want to run imacros so that the word "unhappy" gets highlighted or gets found without me reading the article. I plan to add more words daily to the wordbank so something that can scale multple words. the wordbank can be built into the macros or it can be referenced from an offline file like an excel file. whichever is easiest.

thanks for any tips!!
taimysho0

Re: How to Find words from a wordbank?

Post by taimysho0 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

please let me know if this is in the wrong section of the forums..
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:25 pm

taimysho0 wrote:Hello

Can imacros look into a wordbank for a list of words and search/highlight for these words if they appear on the browser page im looking at?

so for example if i goto this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/busin ... .html?_r=0

i want to run imacros so that the word "unhappy" gets highlighted or gets found without me reading the article. I plan to add more words daily to the wordbank so something that can scale multple words. the wordbank can be built into the macros or it can be referenced from an offline file like an excel file. whichever is easiest.

thanks for any tips!!
taimysho0 wrote:please let me know if this is in the wrong section of the forums..
Perfect "Section" (= Sub-Forum) but CIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
taimysho0

Post by taimysho0 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:55 pm

thanks for any tips!![/quote]
taimysho0 wrote:please let me know if this is in the wrong section of the forums..
Perfect "Section" (= Sub-Forum) but CIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)[/quote]

thanks! my specs are below

imacros = latest version
mozilla browser = 45.0.1
os = windows 7
IrishMacro

Post by IrishMacro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 am

Yes, using the TAG command you can find any word on a webpage.
You can also use a file with words to look for.

The question is - what do you want to do when you find the word?
Firefox free plugin, last version
Win7
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:20 pm

taimysho0 wrote:thanks! my specs are below

Code: Select all

imacros = latest version
mozilla browser = 45.0.1
os = windows 7
OK, I had started to type some Reply yesterday but I ended up installing some new FF Add-on(s) which required some FF Restart and I forgot and lost my Reply, grrr...!!

So..., I was saying first that "latest Version" is always a bit vague, you currently have 4 "latest Versions" for iMacros for FF, v8.8.2, v8.9.6, v9.0b and v9.0b2, though I reckon you'll probably be on v8.9.6 which is definitely not the "latest Version" as you can see..., and "latest Version" won't mean anything anymore to sbd reading the Thread in a few weeks/months/years...!

Then, yep, you can use iMacros to achieve what you want, using 'SEARCH' or even simply 'TAG' with or without 'EXTRACT' depending a bit on what you want to do once some Keyword(s) is/are found, with highlighting, counting, saving them to some '.CSV' File or displaying some mini-Report in a 'PROMPT' for example..., and depending on how large your "Wordbank" will be, you will be looping your Script on your "Wordbank" File used as a DataSource (as a '.CSV File) for your Script, or instead of looping you could repeat a Section of Code in your Script for each Keyword...

But the whole "Process" will be fairly "slow", for a "simple" Check per Keyword, you'll be able to process about Max 100 Keywords in one Minute, I reckon, the Highlighting part especially if you want Multiple Highlighting on Multiple Keywords will require constantly switching between 2 TAB's to make use/misuse of what I believe is a FF Bug on the Find (Ctrl^f) Functionality which allows to run several Find Commands on the same Page and to keep the Highlighting for all.
'Ctrl^f' (= Find), 'Ctrl^v" (= Paste in the 'Find' Input Field) and 'Alt^a' (= 'Highlight all') can be done from iMacros using the EVENT Mode...

But all this Processing will slow down the Speed of your Macro to Max 40-50 Keywords per Minute and is a bit cumbersome in my Opinion...
You can probably use/misuse Google for your Goal, with maybe 10 Keywords per Query, then saving the first 10 "positive" Keywords to some Temp File to reuse at the end of your Macro for a "final" Query using only "positive" Keywords... But still cumbersome, I think...

That's when I went looking yesterday for some FF Add-on(s) that would do the same "Job" and probably much quicker than iMacros, and yep, you have more than 1200 FF Add-ons related to "search/find + highlight", from a quick Search and those 2 Add-ons already look promising, but there are probably some more...:
- Search term highlighter 7.9
- Prostetnic highlighter 2.0.5.1-signed
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:50 pm

Hum, and @OP, you got lucky I didn't notice your Current Thread was actually a Duplicate of this low Quality previous Thread opened 2 days earlier:
- Possible for Macros to find or highlight specific words?
taimysho0 on 09 Apr 2016, 00:10 wrote:Hello

If I goto a web site with any text on it, is it possible for imacros to find specific words on that page? For example, if i wanted the macros the find the word "and" on the page im looking at.

thanks!
Opening Duplicate Threads in different Sub-Forums is a Show-Stopper for me as I consider that as Spam..., and I only help Users using the Forum a bit correctly, so if you could delete that other Thread...?, that would keep the Forum a bit clean as it can take days before TechSupport will delete it...

And btw, you never finished your 1st Thread a bit neatly, this is part as well of "using the Forum a bit correctly"... Either you still have a Problem in that Thread or my last Reply solved your Pb then you need to follow up or you managed to solve your Pb and you are expected to share your Solution... :idea:
taimysho0

Post by taimysho0 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Solved - closing thread
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 am

taimysho0 wrote:Solved - closing thread
Yeah, solved for you, but not for the Community and for Users searching the Forum with a similar Qt/Case who would be interested on how you solved that Scenario... :roll:
(But nice anyway to hear from you again after 1 year...)