[SOLVED] Firefox Dev Edition imacro bookmarks and URLs..

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
irxr

[SOLVED] Firefox Dev Edition imacro bookmarks and URLs..

Post by irxr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Hello!

When I set up a macro on the release version of Firefox, I can save the macro as a bookmark and run the bookmark to execute the macro.

Example bookmark:
imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim

However, on the Firefox Developer Edition, when I try to run the bookmark I get this error:
"The address wasn’t understood"
and in smaller print:

"Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (imacros) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

I looked in the Firefox standard edition under the Options/Applications area to see if there is an action to imacros there, but there is not.

How can I make Firefox Developer Edition run my macros from a bookmark or URL like the example bookmark above the same way that the standard Firefox seems to be able to do?

Also, just to note, imacros appears to be working fine in all other aspects inside the Firefox Developer Edition. I can run a macro from the side panel after clicking the imacro button in the toolbar, but running them from a bookmark or the address bar isn't working.

Thanks!
Last edited by irxr on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Re: Firefox Dev Edition imacro bookmarks and URLs don't work

Post by chivracq » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:23 pm

irxr wrote:Hello!

When I set up a macro on the release version of Firefox, I can save the macro as a bookmark and run the bookmark to execute the macro.

Example bookmark:

Code: Select all

imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim
However, on the Firefox Developer Edition, when I try to run the bookmark I get this error:
"The address wasn’t understood"
and in smaller print:

"Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (imacros) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

I looked in the Firefox standard edition under the Options/Applications area to see if there is an action to imacros there, but there is not.

How can I make Firefox Developer Edition run my macros from a bookmark or URL like the example bookmark above the same way that the standard Firefox seems to be able to do?

Also, just to note, imacros appears to be working fine in all other aspects inside the Firefox Developer Edition. I can run a macro from the side panel after clicking the imacro button in the toolbar, but running them from a bookmark or the address bar isn't working.

Thanks!
CIM...! :mrgreen:

You need to mention your FCI with all exact Versions for iMacros (I reckon you'll be on v8.9.7) and FF, + OS even if OS won't play a Role in this Case I guess...

iMacros for FF v8.9.7 has been tested and works fine for FF46 + FF47 and it seems to work fine as well on FF48 as I haven't seen any Reports (yet) related specifically to the recently released FF48, which is nearly a "Miracle'" with 3 FF Versions in a row working on the same iMacros Version as since FF29, nearly every FF Version has broken stg in iMacros...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
irxr

Post by irxr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi, chivracq, thanks for the quick reply. My apologies for forgetting the config info.
The FDE version changes constantly, but imacros hasn't worked since I first installed FDE 48. It's up to 50.00a2, but like I said even FDE at 48 it wasn't working.
Firefox standard is 48, and imacros works fine on it.
The OS is Windows 7 64bit. iMacros version is 8.9.7.

Thanks!
irxr

Post by irxr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Opps, I want to also clarify that it is not that imacros isn't working in FDE, but that the bookmarks and URLs to the scripts are not running from the address bar, so you can't, for example, set the homepage to a bookmark and have the browser start and run the macro.
iimfun

Post by iimfun » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:33 am

Maybe the following bookmark location will work in FDE

javascript:{setTimeout('location.href="imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim"',1000);void(0);}
(Sometimes I had to use the way like that instead of the standard one for some unexplained reasons.)
irxr

Post by irxr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:01 am

iimfun wrote:Maybe the following bookmark location will work in FDE

javascript:{setTimeout('location.href="imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim"',1000);void(0);}
(Sometimes I had to use the way like that instead of the standard one for some unexplained reasons.)
Hi, iimfun. I tried what you suggested, but it just throws the same error as if you tried to go directly to the url.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
iimfun

Post by iimfun » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:07 am

Hi @irxr,
it's interesting. Can't you even play the macro from a bookmarklet compatible with Chrome too? For example

javascript:(function() {try{var e_m64 = "UFJPTVBUJTIwSEVMTE8h", n64 = "bWFjcm8uaWlt";if(!/^(?:chrome|https?|file)/.test(location)){alert('iMacros: Open webpage to run a macro.');return;}var macro = {};macro.source = decodeURIComponent(atob(e_m64));macro.name = decodeURIComponent(atob(n64));var evt = document.createEvent("CustomEvent");evt.initCustomEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true, macro);window.dispatchEvent(evt);}catch(e){alert('iMacros Bookmarklet error: '+e.toString());}}) ();
BTW, the bookmark location for the single-line macro

URL GOTO=imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim
looks like

javascript:(function() {try{var e_m64 = "VVJMJTIwR09UTyUzRGltYWNyb3MlM0ElMkYlMkZydW4lMkYlM0ZtJTNEbXltYWNyby5paW0=", n64 = "bWFjcm8uaWlt";if(!/^(?:chrome|https?|file)/.test(location)){alert('iMacros: Open webpage to run a macro.');return;}var macro = {};macro.source = decodeURIComponent(atob(e_m64));macro.name = decodeURIComponent(atob(n64));var evt = document.createEvent("CustomEvent");evt.initCustomEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true, macro);window.dispatchEvent(evt);}catch(e){alert('iMacros Bookmarklet error: '+e.toString());}}) ();
irxr

Post by irxr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:28 pm

iimfun wrote:Hi @irxr,
it's interesting. Can't you even play the macro from a bookmarklet compatible with Chrome too? For example

javascript:(function() {try{var e_m64 = "UFJPTVBUJTIwSEVMTE8h", n64 = "bWFjcm8uaWlt";if(!/^(?:chrome|https?|file)/.test(location)){alert('iMacros: Open webpage to run a macro.');return;}var macro = {};macro.source = decodeURIComponent(atob(e_m64));macro.name = decodeURIComponent(atob(n64));var evt = document.createEvent("CustomEvent");evt.initCustomEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true, macro);window.dispatchEvent(evt);}catch(e){alert('iMacros Bookmarklet error: '+e.toString());}}) ();
BTW, the bookmark location for the single-line macro

URL GOTO=imacros://run/?m=mymacro.iim
looks like

javascript:(function() {try{var e_m64 = "VVJMJTIwR09UTyUzRGltYWNyb3MlM0ElMkYlMkZydW4lMkYlM0ZtJTNEbXltYWNyby5paW0=", n64 = "bWFjcm8uaWlt";if(!/^(?:chrome|https?|file)/.test(location)){alert('iMacros: Open webpage to run a macro.');return;}var macro = {};macro.source = decodeURIComponent(atob(e_m64));macro.name = decodeURIComponent(atob(n64));var evt = document.createEvent("CustomEvent");evt.initCustomEvent("iMacrosRunMacro", true, true, macro);window.dispatchEvent(evt);}catch(e){alert('iMacros Bookmarklet error: '+e.toString());}}) ();
It looks like it's running the javascript without any issues and it does invoke imacros, but under FDE it throws an address error for the mymacro.iim. I also tried it under the standard FF release (48), and it does work and invokes the mymacro.iim. I did change the "bWFjcm8uaWlt" to "bXltYWNyby5paW0=".

I'm just guessing here, but it seems like imacros intercepts firefox's address variable in the BOM and acts on it in the standard release, but does not do this in the FDE, and is being blocked somehow. Since it doesn't use the application helpers in the FF standard release, this seems like the way it's catching the URL from the bookmark.

It might work to just encode the imacro in base64 and send it to imacros via javascript, but that would be messy and not allow for easy editing of scripts.
irxr

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox Dev Edition imacro bookmarks and URLs..

Post by irxr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:32 pm

This has been SOLVED.

The imacros team has updated imacros to 9.0.3 and it now works as expected with bookmarks and urls on FDE. Thanks for the update,guys!

Thank you iimfun for taking the time to try and help!

irxr
Nelis

Post by Nelis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 am

Hello,

Latest Firefox (52.0.1 32bit) is giving the same error off and on. It calls imacros ok sometimes but after a few days it stops working. After disabling and uninstalling imacros + Firefox, and reinstalling Firefox + iamcros it will fix problem about 50% of the time... Then it happens again after a few days.

Can iMacros be updated by development team to get this resolved? (As it was in 9.0.3 release, per last post)

Thanks!
Nelis

Post by Nelis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am

Workaround found in another forum post, but steps to disable Multiprocess Windows where not exactly clear.

http://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27309

To disable multiprocess go to about:config in your firefox location bar. Search for browser.tabs.remote.autostart. There may be multiple results. Set them all to false and restart the browser.

This worked for me.
evertt

Post by evertt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 am

Nelis,

Works for me too. Thank you for charring it!!