Can Imacros extract txt, find it listed in DATASOURCE row?

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
ericwoo

Can Imacros extract txt, find it listed in DATASOURCE row?

Post by ericwoo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I was wondering if there is a way for Imacros to use the extracted text and find it listed in column 1 of a DATASOURCE, then input the text listed adjacent to it in column 2.

I couldn't find anything listed in the wiki about it but maybe I am searching for the wrong terms to describe this. Thanks

I have the latest version of Imacros Firefox, latest version of Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows 8.
IrishMacro

Re: Can Imacros extract txt, find it listed in DATASOURCE ro

Post by IrishMacro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Without actually testing this I would hazard a guess that the answer is no
The datasource file is locked while you are running the macro and reading and writing to it at the same time sounds unlikely

Can you give us an example of what you are trying to do?
Is it like this?
1 Go to a page
2 Look for a text string
3 Write that text string to a file
Firefox free plugin, last version
Win7
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

ericwoo wrote:I was wondering if there is a way for Imacros to use the extracted text and find it listed in column 1 of a DATASOURCE, then input the text listed adjacent to it in column 2.

I couldn't find anything listed in the wiki about it but maybe I am searching for the wrong terms to describe this. Thanks

I have the latest version of Imacros Firefox, latest version of Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows 8.
Tja, pity, I would have several Solutions for you but I asked you in your last Thread to mention your FCI (which you do now finally in this current Thread even if the iMacros Version is still missing, "last/latest" is always vague as you always have 3-4-5 last/latest Versions for iMacros itself and all Browsers and won't mean anything anymore to sbd reading the Thread in a few weeks/months/years... => probably v9.0.3, even if that's not a very "logical" Version to use for sbd who's been using iMacros since at least 2012, but OK, possible...), which you refused to do so + asked you to handle and finish your older Threads a bit neatly, which you didn't do either, so I'll pass on this one... :twisted:
But @IrishMacro is another Advanced User, so you are in good hands, ah-ah...! :D
IrishMacro wrote:Without actually testing this I would hazard a guess that the answer is no
The datasource file is locked while you are running the macro and reading and writing to it at the same time sounds unlikely

Can you give us an example of what you are trying to do?
Is it like this?
1 Go to a page
2 Look for a text string
3 Write that text string to a file
Euh, @IrishMacro, I don't agree on "The datasource file is locked while you are running the macro and reading and writing to it at the same time sounds unlikely", in which Version have you noticed this Behaviour...? Maybe in v9.0.3 for FF that I have never used, but I have several Macros that I use with v8.8.2 & v8.9.7 (sporadically but they still work) where my Macro reads then deletes and recreates its own DataSource..., and it's been working fine for several years... :?
That's one of my "major" Techniques for ('.iim') Macros to "communicate" with each others or with themselves in the same Run/Loop or between Runs/Loops...

Euh, yep, I confirm, I even use a Technique to save my DataSource on the fly from Notepad (in WinXP + Win7-x64 + Win10-x64) in the middle of a Loop without even stopping my Macro, and I never encountered any Pb, but I of course always wait at least 1 sec after some DataSource Read, and pfff, now that you mention it, hum..., yep...!, I have indeed seen once or twice some "File is in use"/"File is locked" Error Msg, but pfff..., that was several years ago when I started using this Technique, then I "naturally" included some "decent" time between Declare/Read/Delete/Recreate/Write...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:00 am

Hum, EDIT / Addendum on/to my last Reply, but one week later, so I post it in some apart Post, @IrishMacro, there is actually a Lock-Mechanism taking place, but it is if you have your DataSource (or 'SAVEAS' File) opened in Excel or OpenOffice and you then try to run your Macro, then yep, you will get from iMacros some RuntimeError that the File is locked, but not the other way around... 8)

Hum, and one week later and still no Follow-up from OP...! :roll:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...