Running iMacros in a Firefox profile on Ubuntu

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
BogBeast

Running iMacros in a Firefox profile on Ubuntu

Post by BogBeast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi all.

Firefox - pretty much any version Ifor the last 3 months...
iMacros - v8.9.7
OS - Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

I run multiple Firefox windows doing automated web testing.

My main .iim runs in the default profile for weeks on end with no problem, across reboost and browser updates etc

Every hour I run a separate .iim as in an additional profile. I create a separate profile (Getresults) and launch it using a shell script

Code: Select all

firefox -p "Getresults" -height 900 -width 1000 -new-instance -new-window imacros://run/?m=GetCnt.iim
This mostly runs fine, however every couple of days it launches and even though the imacros is loaded I get a "This Address wasn't understood" error and the launch fails.

See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YLDo ... 25ZdUtBa3c

Its seems that FF hs lost the add ons, even though it has loaded imacros :?:

I then have to go and manually re-install the add on accross quite a few machines which is a PIA

Has anyone seem anything similar ? any suggestions as to a fix or workaround?

Thanks!!
chivracq

Re: Running iMacros in a Firefox profile on Ubuntu

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:00 pm

BogBeast wrote:Hi all.

Firefox - pretty much any version Ifor the last 3 months...
iMacros - v8.9.7
OS - Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
I run multiple Firefox windows doing automated web testing.

My main .iim runs in the default profile for weeks on end with no problem, across reboost and browser updates etc

Every hour I run a separate .iim as in an additional profile. I create a separate profile (Getresults) and launch it using a shell script

firefox -p "Getresults" -height 900 -width 1000 -new-instance -new-window imacros://run/?m=GetCnt.iim
This mostly runs fine, however every couple of days it launches and even though the imacros is loaded I get a "This Address wasn't understood" error and the launch fails.

See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YLDo ... 25ZdUtBa3c

Its seems that FF hs lost the add ons, even though it has loaded imacros :?:

I then have to go and manually re-install the add on accross quite a few machines which is a PIA

Has anyone seem anything similar ? any suggestions as to a fix or workaround?

Thanks!!
Hum..., are you sure that you've disabled Automatic Updates for iMacros on this 'Getresults' Profile...?, because the "This Address wasn't understood" Error Msg you mention was "typical" for v9.0.3 (on FF52/53 I think, but maybe already earlier) when trying to use the 'imacros://run/?m=' Syntax to launch a Macro from a Batch File or a Shortcut/Bookmark...
We had several Threads about this "Behaviour" on the Forum, and it's even mentioned in the 'Known Issues' on the 'iMacros for FF Version' Page...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Oh...!, no..., I think I know...!
Since FF52, FF for every Update checks all Add-ons and automatically disables the ones it "decides" are not "compatible" and because the "official" Version for iMacros in the Add-ons Gallery is v9.0.3, then I would think that "your" iMacros Add-on gets disabled because you are using v8.9.7 (which is the correct Version to use btw)...
I guess each time you will notice some FF Update, that you'll need to check this Profile... But hum..., you should get the Pb in your Default Profile as well then, I would think..., grrrr...! (Scratching my head...!! :oops: )

Multi-Processing is disabled as well in your FF Installation...?

And hum, stupid Qt I guess, you don't maintain several Installations of FF by any chance, your both Profiles belong to the same FF Installation...?

But hum, a few years ago (at least 3 or 4 years ago) when I "investigated" launching Macros from a Shortcut/Batch File (on WinXP + Win7-x64 at that time) and using several Profiles as well, I had noticed that only the 'Default' Profile was "reliable" whether FF was already running or not, but that when trying to use a "secondary" Profile, a "Firefox is already in use" Error would often come up if some Instance of that Profile was already running, and I ended up using only the 'Default' Profile for my '.BAT' File...
(But around v8.8.2 for FF, I switched from FF to Pale Moon (that I still use (v26.3.3 currently, on Win10-x64, together with v8.8.2 for FF)), and I never had a Pb. I do "maintain" a FF Installation (FF53 + iMacros for FF v8.9.7 + Win10-x64) "for the Forum", but I don't use this Environment for any of my "Prod" Scripts (from a Batch File)...)

Stg you could try if none of the Remarks/Suggestions I mentioned earlier help, would be to try to "swap" your 2 Macros and their respective Profile, i.e. run your 1st Macro from the 'Getresults' Profile, and the 2nd Macro from the 'Default' Profile... (to see if that makes a Difference...)

And/or, from your FF 'profiles.ini' File (located in \AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox' on a Win32/64 Machine), you can swap Profiles as well...
(But hum, back-up this File before making any Change, in case you "screw" anything, ah-ah...!)
Last edited by chivracq on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
BogBeast

Post by BogBeast » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 am

Hi chivracq

I know, it is an odd one...

Multi-Processing is disabled
Updates are disabled, both in the in add-on and generally
single clean install of FF

I thought it might be related to a FF update, but to the best of my knowledge it is not (I am new'ish to linux...)

And this happens on multiple machines, so I don't believe is a profile corruption issue.

I am 'foxed

The only thing I have noticed is that when i get the problem, all add-ons disappear ... not just imacros (there is an Ubuntu one as well which also disappears)

SO perhaps its a ff bug...

Thanks for your thoughts...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 pm

BogBeast wrote:Hi chivracq

I know, it is an odd one...

Multi-Processing is disabled
Updates are disabled, both in the in add-on and generally
single clean install of FF

I thought it might be related to a FF update, but to the best of my knowledge it is not (I am new'ish to linux...)

And this happens on multiple machines, so I don't believe is a profile corruption issue.

I am 'foxed

The only thing I have noticed is that when i get the problem, all add-ons disappear ... not just imacros (there is an Ubuntu one as well which also disappears)

SO perhaps its a ff bug...

Thanks for your thoughts...
Hum..., strange indeed, ah-ah...!

But hum..., if all Add-ons disappear, then it is indeed not specific to (only) iMacros, but rather related to FF or your OS, either FF disabling/removing automatically Add-ons, or maybe your OS or maybe AntiVirus or maybe some "Backup"/Maintenance Task locking or changing Permissions or maybe deleting some Folders/Files...

When you say "all Add-ons disappear", they really disappear...?, they don't get just disabled...?, they are not listed anymore in the Add-ons Manager (you don't use some "external" Add-ons Manager btw...?, that maybe could get disabled by FF itself... (I use 'Slim Add-ons Manager myself (v14.1 on FF53) which seems to work correctly for me...)), and even if you (kill and) restart that FF Profile "manually", they are still completely gone...? Woaw...!, "magic"...!

Monitor a bit the iMacros Extension Install Folder in your Profile, to check if it's present / still there / gets deleted..., and the OS Permissions on those Folders, it is located in the '[Profile]\extensions\' Folder and is called "{81BF1D23-5F17-408D-AC6B-BD6DF7CAF670}" (for v8.9.7 for FF)...