Help: How to capture LinkedIn Search results?

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
r2997790

Help: How to capture LinkedIn Search results?

Post by r2997790 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to iMacros and would really appreciate a little bit of newbie help to get me started.

I'm trying to figure out how to capture my LinkedIn search results but it seems really difficult to do :(

If any of you iMacro gurus had a script snippet or example you could share it would be a huge help to me!

What I want to do is... do a search (eg for 2nd level connections) and then capture the results.

Specifically:

+ name
+ title
+ profile link
+ number of shared connections

... and then go through X pages of search results saving the data to a text file

I've found plenty of things related to profiles but nothing related to the search results page.

Hope someone might be able to share an example.

Thanks everyone for making this forum great.
R
Last edited by r2997790 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivracq

Re: Help: How to capture LinkedIn Searxh results?

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

r2997790 wrote:Hi everyone

I'm new to iMacros and would really appreciate a little bit of newbie help to get me started.

I'm trying to figure out how to capture my LinkedIn search results but it seems really difficult to do :(

If any of you iMacro gurus had a script snippet or example you could share it would be a huge help to me!

What I want to do is... do a search (eg for 2nd level connections) and then capture the results.

Specifically:
+ name
+ title
+ profile link
+ number of shared connections

... and then go through X pages of search results saving the data to a text file

I've found plenty of things related to profiles but nothing related to the search results page.

Hope someone might be able to share an example.

Thanks everyone for making this forum great.
R
Typo in your Thread Title..., if you could correct it to make this Thread "findable" for the Search Engine for other Users searching the Forum...?

You very probably already have several similar Threads on the Forum, I would think... (hopefully with no Typos in their Thread Title, ah-ah...!)
And good luck otherwise but I don't think anybody will be writing your Script for you, what you want doesn't sound very complicated, you can better get started yourself and then the Forum will help you if you really get stuck somewhere... :idea:
(And hopefully you'll share as well your Final Script to make this Thread useful for other Users then...!)

+ CIM...! :mrgreen: (Always mention your FCI when you open a Thread, read my Sig..., many Commands are not implemented for all Browsers/Versions...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
r2997790

Re: Help: How to capture LinkedIn Search results?

Post by r2997790 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't necessarily have the expectation someone would write the script for me but i know LinkedIn has some peculiarities which make it more difficult.

I did naturally search for a solution prior to posting but as i said everything I could find related to profiles not search results.

My config is Win 10 + Chrome.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 pm

r2997790 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I didn't necessarily have the expectation someone would write the script for me but i know LinkedIn has some peculiarities which make it more difficult.

I did naturally search for a solution prior to posting but as i said everything I could find related to profiles not search results.

My config is

Code: Select all

Win 10 + Chrome.
=> Probable FCI:
iMacros for CR v8.4.4, CR60, Win10.

Typo in Thread Title corrected, perfect... :D

Hum, a Search on the Forum for "LinkedIn" only already yields 6 Pages with 82 Results and from a quick "Scan" though the Results/Threads, I think I see quite a few relevant Threads, like this one for example (which btw was and will be the last Thread I wrote a full Script for the User and "swore" to myself it would be the last time because of the "poor" Follow-up, ah-ah...!):
- LinkedIn tagging question

But again, what you want to do is pretty "straightforward" and shouldn't be very difficult to implement, and it's usually easier (and more rewarding, ah-ah...!) to write your own Script than to try to understand sbd else's Script [hum, Spellchecker doesn't like the "sbd else's" Construction although it is grammatically correct, I would think...!? :? ]... And if you encounter some specific Pb's in the Implementation and really get stuck, then yep, we are here to help you... :wink:
Well, good luck... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
r2997790

Post by r2997790 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:10 pm

The thread you pointed to (which ironically has a far more ambiguous title) AND this is talking about profiles.

I am looking to find a way to scrape search results, specifically not profiles.

Thanks for pointing out the thread regardless.

Hopefully some other kind soul will also be able to offer some additional advice.

Thanks for your suggestion too!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm

r2997790 wrote:The thread you pointed to (which ironically has a far more ambiguous title) AND this is talking about profiles.

I am looking to find a way to scrape search results, specifically not profiles.

Thanks for pointing out the thread regardless.

Hopefully some other kind soul will also be able to offer some additional advice.

Thanks for your suggestion too!
Hum, yep indeed about the Thread Title for the other Thread, that's why I always try to "encourage" Users to always put a Descriptive Thread Title, sometimes the "hard way", ah-ah...!, I don't help for Threads called "Need Help with iMacros" (with sometimes up to 6 Typos in "iMacros" only...!) or "Urgent Script Problem! PLEASE HELP...!!!", ah-ah...!, and to share their final Script to make those Threads useful for other Users searching the Forum with a similar Case/Qt...

You'll find as well several Threads on the Forum about scrapping Google Results, the Scripts/Examples would be very specific to the HTML Structure of the Google Site but the Method to use would be the same for LinkedIn or any other Search related Scenario like yours...

And you may have a better chance on SOF (Stackoverflow Forum) where (semi-)Advanced Users are sometimes willing to write/share complete Scripts in order to gain some Reputation Points for that Forum... :idea: