Can not read macro file, error [object Object] (Bug Report)

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
speedz84

Can not read macro file, error [object Object] (Bug Report)

Post by speedz84 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:54 pm

I keep getting the following error "Can not read macro file, error [object Object]" when I play the .imm file in Chome. I checked the code and there are no errors to be found anywhere. Imacros Editor has no problem opening the .imm file. Can support please fix this in chrome?

I have confirmed a new bug/glitch in the imacros software from Chrome. If you exceed a certain amount of lines of code you will get an error "Can not read macro file, error [object Object] when trying to play the .imm file in the chrome browser (iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5.) This should not be happening since you should not be limited to the amount of code you have. For example I have code with lines up to 20400 (runs/plays without a problem) but If I add code to 37000 it throws the error "Can not read macro file, error [object Object] once you get too much lines of code. I did some tests and whenever a .imm file reaches a certain amount of lines of code it will throw the error when you click the "Play" button in the Google Chrome imacros extension. This should not be happening and hope someone can get a fix released fast.

Can someone from the forum support team contact the engineers at Imacros to provide a patch/fix for the chrome player to fix this bug? The player in chrome fails to play and open .imm files after it reaches excessive number of lines of code?

1. I have the latest version of Chrome and the Imacros player 10.0.5 extension for Chrome using Windows 10
2. I have the paid license so this bug should not be happening.
3. iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5 (Needs to be patched to a new version fixing the "Can not read macro file, error [object Object] once you exceed 30,000 + lines of code in a .imm file) should be able to use unlimited lines of code with no errors.
Marcia, Tech Support

Re: Can not read macro file, error [object Object] (Bug Repo

Post by Marcia, Tech Support » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 am

Hi,

I am afraid there is nothing we can do here. Sorry. iMacros File Access uses a messaging protocol offered by Chrome to communicate with iMacros inside the browser. Chrome limits the message size to 1 MB, your macro might have reached this limit.

I advice you to split your macro in smaller chunks. You can use a local html with links to run the several pieces and click on the next link from the previous macro. To run a macro from a link in an html file, follow partially the example in the wiki section about command line support.

I hope this helps you.
speedz84

Re: Can not read macro file, error [object Object] (Bug Repo

Post by speedz84 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Thank you Marcia for your help, I split my macro to smaller chunks and it all works fine now. I had no idea that Chrome sets a limit to only 1 MB.

Can you take a look at my other thread? Possible crashes occurring in the chrome extensions after having it running for a long time

https://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29943