Macro freezes if URL fails to load

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
groundfalling

Macro freezes if URL fails to load

Post by groundfalling » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Imacros for chrome version 10.0.5
Windows 2012
Chrome Version 70.0
-----------------------------------
Hi,
im using "!errorignore yes" in my macro but still every time "URL GOTO" fails to open a link. in my case when the browser shows the error "This page isn’t working". The macro simply freezes at the point indefinitely. Is there any solution for it? Thank you
groundfalling

Re: Macro freezes if URL fails to load

Post by groundfalling » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm

since im running a loop, with the use of "!errorignore yes" if the page fails to load it should simply skip to the next loop but instead it stays stuck. is there any work around this problem?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:00 pm

groundfalling wrote:Imacros for chrome version 10.0.5
Windows 2012
Chrome Version 70.0
-----------------------------------
Hi,
im using "!errorignore yes" in my macro but still every time "URL GOTO" fails to open a link. in my case when the browser shows the error "This page isn’t working". The macro simply freezes at the point indefinitely. Is there any solution for it? Thank you
groundfalling wrote:since im running a loop, with the use of "!errorignore yes" if the page fails to load it should simply skip to the next loop but instead it stays stuck. is there any work around this problem?
Yep, I had noticed a similar Behaviour with v10.0.2 for FF during the Beta-Testing Phase, that I had "qualified" as a Blocking Bug, but it still got released, I guess it's probably the same that you are seeing on v10.0.5 for CR.

But "my" Bug actually took place and the Macro froze, not directly on the 'URL GOTO' at the end of '!TIMEOUT_PAGE', but if you have any 'EVAL()' Statement further in your Macro, and the Browser is "still" on that 'Page not found' or similar 'Page Error' URL...

I had started to "think" about some "Workaround", by first extracting "stg" at the 'TYPE=BODY' or 'TYPE=HTML' Level, where you can extract stg about that 'Page not found' Text, at least on FF, switch anyway to some 2nd Tab (already and always open on some existing Page), do the 'EVAL()' on that Page, and come back to TAB_1 at the next Loop or at the next Instruction to trigger a Conditional Reload (via 'URL GOTO') of the Page if needed, and hope that the 2nd 'URL GOTO' will work, otherwise you are back to square 1, ah-ah...!

I had thought also about a 2nd Macro running "in parallel" (in a 2nd Browser Instance or even in a separate FF Profile) and that would check periodically the Content of some mini-'.TXT' File or of the Clipboard, where the 1st Macro would/should be writing regularly by incrementing some Counter together with a Timestamp, and in case of a "Pb", would be able to conditionally launch a '.BAT' File that would kill that FF Profile and relaunch FF and the Macro... and itself if both Scripts running in the same Profile... :twisted:
But pfff..., pretty cumbersome I'm afraid... :oops:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
groundfalling

Post by groundfalling » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 pm

I had started to "think" about some "Workaround", by first extracting "stg" at the 'TYPE=BODY' or 'TYPE=HTML' Level, where you can extract stg about that 'Page not found' Text, at least on FF, switch anyway to some 2nd Tab (already and always open on some existing Page), do the 'EVAL()' on that Page, and come back to TAB_1 at the next Loop or at the next Instruction to trigger a Conditional Reload (via 'URL GOTO') of the Page if needed, and hope that the 2nd 'URL GOTO' will work, otherwise you are back to square 1, ah-ah...!
for this reason i tried to use 'URL GOTO' three or multiple times but still sometimes at the last instance of 'URL GOTO' it fails to load and gets stuck.
I had thought also about a 2nd Macro running "in parallel" (in a 2nd Browser Instance or even in a separate FF Profile) and that would check periodically the Content of some mini-'.TXT' File or of the Clipboard, where the 1st Macro would/should be writing regularly by incrementing some Counter together with a Timestamp, and in case of a "Pb", would be able to conditionally launch a '.BAT' File that would kill that FF Profile and relaunch FF and the Macro... and itself if both Scripts running in the same Profile... :twisted:
But pfff..., pretty cumbersome I'm afraid...
running two macros is not an option. im sure you would know of another simpler way to skip to next loop if URL does not load, just float another idea please. thanks
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Hum, OK, if you have "'URL GOTO' three or multiple times", that means the Script doesn't hang at the (first) 'URL GOTO' and is able to continue processing the next Lines..., correct...? My "Assumption" and "Observations" were based on having an 'EVAL()' further in the Script... Do you have some 'EVAL()' in your Script after the last 'URL GOTO' (or after any 'URL GOTO')...? And/or if you comment out your 'EVAL()' Statement(s), does your Script still hang...? (If that's not the Case, we might be "talking" about 2 completely different "Things" otherwise...)

Might be handy (for TechSup) if you could post some mini-Macro reproducing the Issue, maybe reusing one of the Demos with some deliberate "Typo" in the 'URL GOTO' for the URL to fail, or stg like that... :idea:

I had not done a lot of "Thinking" at that time as I found "it" a bit "too Blocking" and would have required for me to review and adapt about 50,000 Lines of Code with 100's of 'EVAL()' Statements, so I knew I would never use that Version anyway... (And I still use v8.8.2 + v8.9.7 both for FF for myself..., I don't use CR as I don't like this Browser at all, but v10.0.2 for FF and v10.0.5 for CR are based on the same Code Framework for WebExtensions...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Someone really needs to fix this ASAP!

I was running a macro overnight and got the following "RuntimeError: Page loading timeout," I even set the the macro to "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" and still the whole macro stops completely working until you manually have to refresh your browser yourself. This should not be happening if there is a page timeout just keep on going and never stop when !ERRORIGNORE YES is active.

Windows 10
Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5

@chivracq Any idea when they are going to finally fix this bug? It's been going on for months and still no fix.
speedz84

RuntimeError: Page loading timeout iMacros Stops Working

Post by speedz84 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:03 pm

I am hoping someone can finally fix this bug after so many months. Whenever there is a page timeout with the following error ""RuntimeError: Page loading timeout," and you have "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" iMacros completely stops running until the user manually refreshes the webpage. This should not be happening since the "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" flag is set to "YES" it should just keep on continuing the macro no matter what error. The problem is "SET !ERRORIGNORE YES" does not ignore this error completely is there anyway someone can get a quick update out to make sure this error is skipped when !ERRORIGNORE is set to YES? This bug has been happening for so many months and still no new version update to fix this.

Windows 10
Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5 (Personal Edition)
speedz84

Re: RuntimeError: Page loading timeout iMacros Stops Working

Post by speedz84 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Any current updates from the iMacros Development Team regarding a fix for this bug? I have tried contacting them as with other people but there is never no response. I am just wondering if someone from support can update everyone if a fix for a future version is being worked on? The problem occurred again today as I said a few weeks ago but simply there is still no fix.

Can someone from the iMacros Tech Team take a look at this bug and give an update?

Thank you
tino@awin

Post by tino@awin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 am

Hello,

I've the same issue since 15th of December. Hope someone from the support Team can answer why this happens.

Windwos 10
iMacro 10.0.5 / 9.0.3
Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 /Firefox 49.0
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am

chivracq wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 pm
Might be handy (for TechSup) if you could post some mini-Macro reproducing the Issue, maybe reusing one of the Demos with some deliberate "Typo" in the 'URL GOTO' for the URL to fail, or stg like that... :idea:
Yes, exactly. Until we have a reproducible test case, I can't log this for further investigation by the development team.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:57 pm

This thread should have been created in the iMacros for Chrome forum since the reported issue pertains to that product specifically, and other users have reported the same there already. I am going to merge this thread with the earlier thread there. We're asking if anyone has a test macro they can share that will easily reproduce the issue?

Here is what I have been able to test so far:

Code: Select all

CLEAR
SET !TIMEOUT_PAGE 1
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
URL GOTO=https://imacros.net
WAIT SECONDS=3
URL GOTO=https://wiki.imacros.net
The expected behavior is that a page load timeout will occur because 1 second should not be long enough for the imacros.net home page to load (especially after clearing the cache), but the macro should continue by waiting 3 seconds and then navigating to the wiki.

The behavior I am observing when running this macro is that the page load error occurs and an error message is displayed in the iMacros sidebar, but because !ERRORIGNORE is set to YES, the macro continues executing the remaining lines, as expected. I did not encounter any macro freeze or have to manually refresh the page.

Please, if someone can provide a test macro that demonstrates the issue, then we will gladly investigate further.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

In my experience this error only occurs when a webserver goes offline, let's say for 10 minutes and comes back on and when you are using a Loop so let's say a loop of 50. During the loop let's say that https://imacros.net goes offline for 5 minutes randomly and you are on loop 20 out of 50. Since https://imacros.net is offline and cannot be connected iMacros pauses the entire loop and gives the Runtime error. The loop is completely stopped until the user turns on their browser and resumes the loop. Since SET !ERRORIGNORE is set to YES the loop should not be paused because the website is down for a few minutes, it should keep running and going further up the loop, eventually the website will be online. The whole loop / macro should not be paused when a page loading timeout occurs.

Best way to replicate this error is take the code like Tom made above, make a loop and make https://imacros.net go offline for 5 minutes. Eventually the entire loop will pause and give the "RuntimeError: Page loading timeout" until the user refreshes the webpage manually. This error should not even be showing up if SET !ERRORIGNORE is set to "YES".

Well this is my best way to explain it, if anyone is open to share their suggestions you are more than welcome.

tino@awin please share your experience with us
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi speedz84,

I tried to test the scenario you described. Obviously, I cannot cause imacros.net or any other live 'production' site to go offline, but I did try it with one of our legacy sites. The way I attempted to make the site go offline was by 'stopping' the site using IIS, however, that only resulted in the server returning a 404 Not Found error page. iMacros sees this as a valid page load since the server did indeed respond, and therefore it does not cause a timeout.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have the resources available to me for making a website 'appear offline' in such a manner that will reproduce this scenario.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 am

Thank you Tom for checking this out

One other thing that might cause this error is when a webpage gets stuck in the "waiting" phase. For example I am running a macro on https://imacros.net/ and during the loop I am having trouble connecting to a certain webpage and the browser says "waiting for https://imacros.net/" on the bottom left in chrome. If the browser gets stuck in the "waiting for https://imacros.net/" due to various reasons like server traffic for a few minutes, server is not down but very slow, eventually the Runtime error will come show up stop the entire loop which must be manually refreshed to resume.

I would give this test a go but it would be hard to replicate it because the webpage must be stuck in the "waiting for" phase like its being overcrowded but still functioning, because the webpage is loading so long because of being overloaded eventually iMacros will give the timeout error. But when SET !ERRORIGNORE is set to YES every error should be ignored including this "RuntimeError: Page loading timeout" maybe this error was forgotten to be coded to work with SET !ERRORIGNORE and simply to implement it to ignore it in a future version so if it shows up, iMacros will now skip this error and continue the loop without any stops.
speedz84

Post by speedz84 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:47 pm

@Tom, Tech Support

I noticed this problem has returned again. When a website gives a "Secure Connection Failed" error the imacros script completely stops playing until the user manually refreshes the page using your keyboard. I already have SET !ERRORIGNORE YES and imacros should just keep going no matter if the page is down or not. The script should just keep playing until no matter if the page is down or not able to be connected just keep playing until the site goes back online.

Here what happened was there was a "Secure Connection Failed" so looks like the connection was lost for a few seconds, the problem with imacros is whenever it see's a lost connection in the browser it halts the entire script until the user manually refreshes the webpage by hand and the script starts doing it's work again.

I attached three screenshots, one showing the error page where the entire macros script stopped, and the second shows the symbol that is shown when the entire script stops when a website/computer connection goes down, the third shows how the imacros dashboard looks like when a "Secure Connection Failed" error is encountered and the whole script stops. Can someone please fix the code in iMacros to prevent the script from pausing when a website or connection on your computer goes down?

Windows 10 64-Bit (Latest Version)
iMacros for Firefox 10.1.0.1485 (Personal Edition)
Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Firefox 95.0.2 (64-bit)

This also occurs in the Latest version of Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) so it's a widespread issue in the imacros code where from some reason when a "Secure Connection Failed" occurs the entire script stops no matter if you have a loop set to go many times with !ERRORIGNORE YES it will always stop until you manually refresh the browser.

This can also be replicated by leaving a script running in either Google or Firefox and while the script is running in loop turn on a VPN, while the VPN connects the browsers will lose internet connection for like 2-3 seconds and while that happens all the scripts will "Pause" until you manually refresh no matter if you have SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
Attachments
imacros dashboard
imacros dashboard
Capture3.JPG (13.83 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
imacros block
imacros block
Capture2.JPG (7.96 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
Secure Connection Failed
Secure Connection Failed