How to use TAG SELECTOR for extracting a table

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jansb000

How to use TAG SELECTOR for extracting a table

Post by jansb000 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 am

Hi,
Using IMacros Personal Edition 12.5 with Firefox
I have a little trouble with extracting data from a table. So I decided that I would try using a CSS selector (TAG SELECTOR=""). But I cant find any examples of using TAG in this manner.

This is my TAG command (Editor tells me: Syntax Error):

Code: Select all

TAG SELECTOR=".darker-grey-header-background , .asc , .align-top , .navigateable , .align-center , .thick-top-header-border" EXTRACT=TXT
I generated the CSS selector using a tool: SelectorGadget (Addon for Chrome). I assume that the CSS selector for FireFox would be the same as in Chrome.

My Question: Is this the correct way for using TAG SELECTOR?
Thanks.
*---
* jansb000
*---
chivracq

Re: How to use TAG SELECTOR for extracting a table

Post by chivracq » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:50 pm

jansb000 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 am
Hi,
Using IMacros Personal Edition 12.5 with Firefox
I have a little trouble with extracting data from a table. So I decided that I would try using a CSS selector (TAG SELECTOR=""). But I cant find any examples of using TAG in this manner.

This is my TAG command (Editor tells me: Syntax Error):

TAG SELECTOR=".darker-grey-header-background , .asc , .align-top , .navigateable , .align-center , .thick-top-header-border" EXTRACT=TXT
I generated the CSS selector using a tool: SelectorGadget (Addon for Chrome). I assume that the CSS selector for FireFox would be the same as in Chrome.

My Question: Is this the correct way for using TAG SELECTOR?
Thanks.
You could add a "?" to your Thread Title, you are not sharing a 'How-To'...! :roll:

FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)
Hum, your FCI is a bit "unclear"...:
v12.5 is a Version for iMB or IE, there is no v12.5 Version for FF...!
Current Version for FF is v10.0.2 'Free'/'PE'.
+ FF Version is missing...? + OS...?

About your Qt, hum..., the 'TAG SELECTOR' Mode was introduced in v10.0.x for CR, I'm not completely sure this Mode is supported in v10.0.2 for FF (which I guess is probably the Version you are using)... Does your Statement work in CR using iMacros for CR v10.0.5 or do you get the same Syntax Error, and what is this Error exactly...?

For extracting Data from a Table, the "standard" 'TAG POS' Mode works perfectly otherwise, (maybe combined with 'Relative Positioning'), no need to use this 'TAG SELECTOR' Mode anyway... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
jansb000

Post by jansb000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Ok thanks for the reply;

Version info:
IM: 12.5.503.8802x64 / File Access:10.0.2.1422 - FF: 66.0.2 - OS: Win10Pro
You are correct, I downloaded the free version for FF 10.0.2.1450 and then bought the IE latest version (Personal Edition). However with the file access the FF version seems to work fine as well (in I like FF better then IE).

My first macro works without any problem using the TAG POS version. However my second macro is targeting a table that has a more complex layout. When I use the TAG POS variant the macro ends with a message (something like) #EOFA#. I dont remember exactly. That's why I decided to try to use TAG SELECTOR as I have this CR-tool that helps me to visually/interactively create CSS selectors

Let me try again tonight and I will give a better description of what exactly goes wrong in a follow up!
Thanks.
*---
* jansb000
*---
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:44 pm

jansb000 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:27 pm
Ok thanks for the reply;

Version info:

IM: 12.5.503.8802x64 / File Access:10.0.2.1422 - FF: 66.0.2 - OS: Win10Pro
You are correct, I downloaded the free version for FF 10.0.2.1450 and then bought the IE latest version (Personal Edition). However with the file access the FF version seems to work fine as well (in I like FF better then IE).

My first macro works without any problem using the TAG POS version. However my second macro is targeting a table that has a more complex layout. When I use the TAG POS variant the macro ends with a message (something like) #EOFA#. I dont remember exactly. That's why I decided to try to use TAG SELECTOR as I have this CR-tool that helps me to visually/interactively create CSS selectors

Let me try again tonight and I will give a better description of what exactly goes wrong in a follow up!
Thanks.
Yep the same FIO Module (for File Access) works for both CR (v10.0.5 'PE') and FF (v10.0.2 'PE'). File Access is still supported by v12.5 for IE, I think, even for the 'Free' Version... (I'm not completely-completely sure as I don't use those Versions myself...)

"#EANF#" gets returned by the 'EXTRACT' Mechanism when the Target Element doesn't get found... ("EANF" = Extraction Anchor Not Found) :wink:

You forgot to add a "?" to your Thread Title... :wink:

If you don't come out by yourself, you can post the URL to your Site/Page (if it's not behind L&P) and I could have a look to find some "reliable" Solution using the 'TAG POS' Mode, (I don't use this 'TAG SELECTOR' Mode, and it's not implemented in the Version(s) I use anyway... (v8.8.2 + v8.9.7 for FF)), or you can find some "similar" public Site or upload some 'HTML Saveas' to your Thread (zipped, Max 256Kb), with maybe 2 or 3 different Samples for me to "see" what might be changing... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 pm

chivracq,
sorry if I seem to hijack other peope threads lately, but this discussion reminded me of the questions I had for a long time but never bothered to ask before: is extract capability also available with EVENT statements in iMacros 8.9.7-nish version of iMacros for FF through some obscure syntax?

I tried but could only make it work with TAG statements, so when I could not manage to come up with TAG POS= one due to comlexities of dynamic html that would normally make me resort to EVENT statements, I had to do it though TAG XPATH= and that worked for me in such case. But have you ever been able to use EVENT mode for extracts instead?

Thanks!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue May 07, 2019 5:38 pm

serbeer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 pm
chivracq,
sorry if I seem to hijack other peope threads lately, but this discussion reminded me of the questions I had for a long time but never bothered to ask before: is extract capability also available with EVENT statements in iMacros 8.9.7-nish version of iMacros for FF through some obscure syntax?

I tried but could only make it work with TAG statements, so when I could not manage to come up with TAG POS= one due to comlexities of dynamic html that would normally make me resort to EVENT statements, I had to do it though TAG XPATH= and that worked for me in such case. But have you ever been able to use EVENT mode for extracts instead?

Thanks!
Yeah, don't worry for "hijacking" this or any Thread, you always come up with interesting Qt's, ah-ah...! :wink: (Hum, and @OP didn't follow up anymore anyway... :shock: )

I have it listed in my List of EnhReq's (Item 20) for adding the 'EXTRACT' Functionality to the 'EVENT' Mode, feel free to "support" it (+ any other EnhReq's you might find "useful"), but that means, nope, it's not "directly" possible, but I already did some "Thinking" about it, and I have a few Workarounds, gniarf-gniarf...! :twisted:

The "easiest" Workaround is simply to use the 'Ctrl^a' + 'Ctrl^c' + 'Ctrl^v' + Keyboard Arrows and 'Home' / 'End' maybe combined with 'Shift' for Selection... 8)
But this works indeed only in iMacros for FF, v8.x or v9.x as it requires the 'MODIFIERS' Parameter with the 'EVENT' Mode thus...

+ 2 more Workarounds, but some Friend/Neighbour just popped by with a Pan full of Food :D , going to eat, I'll continue later...

EDIT: (Continued as you don't seem to have checked the Forum/Thread since...)
Yep, then other "Workarounds" are indeed, either using 'TAG' + 'XPATH', that I don't use myself as I don't like/use 'XPATH' (nor 'REGEX')...
Or to extract ('=TXT' or '=HTM') some Element at some "higher" Level, usually some Containing 'DIV' where using 'EVAL()', you can always manage to "isolate" the Data you are after... (And I must have already posted more than 100x Code Examples on how I do it..., 'split()' is my "magic_ueber_powerful" JS Command, as it can do everything that 'XPATH' + 'REGEX' + 'SEARCH' + 'match()' + Global_whatever_like_'replace()' + Arrays + Infinite Nb of Vars + Quicker Access to Memory + More Control than '.CSV' Format + more... all can do... 8) )

And if the fact that you "have" to use the 'EVENT' Mode is because of difficulties to reliably tag your Element because of some Dynamic ID or No Class for example, 'Relative Positioning' is often the easiest Solution for that, and/or Dynamic ID's or any Dynamic Attribute can always first be extracted/identified and then reused for the "proper" and directed 'TAG' Statement.
I had posted (and use) a Method for Dynamic ID's (+ for other "intelligent" / "semi-AI" Applications) + other Advanced User @iimfun had also posted another Method (based on 'XPATH' btw...). (But I try not to "advertize" too much for my Method as it's mostly Users who want to fake Like/Comment/Follow on FB and other Social Media who would like to use it and I don't want to help for Social Media...)

But the 'EVENT' Mode in my Opinion should only be used when the 'TAG' Mode fails to (properly) record Actions like on Ajaxy or JS dynamically generated Content...
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 pm

chivracq wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:38 pm
serbeer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 pm
chivracq,

Thanks!
Yeah, don't worry for "hijacking" this or any Thread, you always come up with interesting Qt's, ah-ah...! :wink: (Hum, and @OP didn't follow up anymore anyway... :shock: )

I have it listed in my List of EnhReq's (Item 20) for adding the 'EXTRACT' Functionality to the 'EVENT' Mode, feel free to "support" it (+ any other EnhReq's you might find "useful"), but that means, nope, it's not "directly" possible, but I already did some "Thinking" about it, and I have a few Workarounds, gniarf-gniarf...! :twisted:

The "easiest" Workaround is simply to use the 'Ctrl^a' + 'Ctrl^c' + 'Ctrl^v' + Keyboard Arrows and 'Home' / 'End' maybe combined with 'Shift' for Selection... 8)
But this works indeed only in iMacros for FF, v8.x or v9.x as it requires the 'MODIFIERS' Parameter with the 'EVENT' Mode thus...

+ 2 more Workarounds, but some Friend/Neighbour just popped by with a Pan full of Food :D , going to eat, I'll continue later...

EDIT: (Continued as you don't seem to have checked the Forum/Thread since...)
Yep, then other "Workarounds" are indeed, either using 'TAG' + 'XPATH', that I don't use myself as I don't like/use 'XPATH' (nor 'REGEX')...
Or to extract ('=TXT' or '=HTM') some Element at some "higher" Level, usually some Containing 'DIV' where using 'EVAL()', you can always manage to "isolate" the Data you are after... (And I must have already posted more than 100x Code Examples on how I do it..., 'split()' is my "magic_ueber_powerful" JS Command, as it can do everything that 'XPATH' + 'REGEX' + 'SEARCH' + 'match()' + Global_whatever_like_'replace()' + Arrays + Infinite Nb of Vars + Quicker Access to Memory + More Control than '.CSV' Format + more... all can do... 8) )

And if the fact that you "have" to use the 'EVENT' Mode is because of difficulties to reliably tag your Element because of some Dynamic ID or No Class for example, 'Relative Positioning' is often the easiest Solution for that, and/or Dynamic ID's or any Dynamic Attribute can always first be extracted/identified and then reused for the "proper" and directed 'TAG' Statement.
I had posted (and use) a Method for Dynamic ID's (+ for other "intelligent" / "semi-AI" Applications) + other Advanced User @iimfun had also posted another Method (based on 'XPATH' btw...). (But I try not to "advertize" too much for my Method as it's mostly Users who want to fake Like/Comment/Follow on FB and other Social Media who would like to use it and I don't want to help for Social Media...)

But the 'EVENT' Mode in my Opinion should only be used when the 'TAG' Mode fails to (properly) record Actions like on Ajaxy or JS dynamically generated Content...
Thank you for the info. Now that they don't even support Event mode in latest version of FF plugin, I doubt that adding extract functionality to Event mode will get much of developers' attention... But yes, I followed many of your posts regarding usage of Dynamic IDs and I keep printouts of those in case I need them some time in the future. So far, I was able to get by with TAG PATH statements, even though they are frequently a pain to code correctly.

Hm, I do use Ctrl-A, etc to populate form fields content (and I don't even honestly know what I would do without your ingenious trick with with use of key 37 to deal with AJAX lists fields, many thanks for that--even though for the life of me I don't know how you discovered it), but I am not sure how I would apply this particular technique you called "the easiest workaround" to anything else on the page in general and extracting page elements in particular, so if you could elaborate please?

Thanks!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed May 08, 2019 3:58 am

serbeer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 pm
Thank you for the info. Now that they don't even support Event mode in latest version of FF plugin, I doubt that adding extract functionality to Event mode will get much of developers' attention... But yes, I followed many of your posts regarding usage of Dynamic IDs and I keep printouts of those in case I need them some time in the future. So far, I was able to get by with TAG PATH statements, even though they are frequently a pain to code correctly.

Hm, I do use Ctrl-A, etc to populate form fields content (and I don't even honestly know what I would do without your ingenious trick with with use of key 37 to deal with AJAX lists fields, many thanks for that--even though for the life of me I don't know how you discovered it), but I am not sure how I would apply this particular technique you called "the easiest workaround" to anything else on the page in general and extracting page elements in particular, so if you could elaborate please?

Thanks!
Yeah well, about v10.0.2 for FF not supporting the 'EVENT' Mode anymore/yet, it might/will probably get supported again in some later Version for FF, I think...
The Code Base for v10.0.x for FF is based on the Code Base of v10.0.x for CR which does support the 'EVENT' Mode, so chances are it will come back, I would think... I don't know why it was not implemented/included in v10.0.2 for FF.

Funny thing, I had to have a look recently for some other Thread for @Tom from TechSup at the "guts" of v10.0.2 for FF (for this Thread (interesting Reading btw, about my "Views" and Suggs and Hope for the "Future" of iMacros, ah-ah...!), and I didn't find back directly the Section of Code I was looking for so I had to check a few different Module before I located it and I remember being "surprised" by noticing that the Code about the 'EVENT' Mode was actually present in the Modules, even if it doesn't work... But I'm not completely sure, I could be mistaken, because I thought it would take me 30 Sec to get "my" Answer, so I did that in "multi-tasking" in the middle of stg else I was doing at the same time but I guess I was not completely awake and I first started by looking at the Code from some Version I had already ready pre-decompiled, which turned out to be some previous Version (v8.9.7 probably), so maybe from seeing some Code about the 'EVENT' Mode was actually what made me realize I was looking at the "wrong" Version, and I ended up with a bit too many Modules opened in Edit-Mode from 2 different Versions... :oops:

And the List of EnhReq's I maintain is not specific only for FF, even if that's indeed always been the "Flavour" I use myself... :wink:
I really don't like the CR Browser at all, I really don't understand why some many People use this Browser as it is a complete hassle for Advanced Users to keep some "Control" on this Browser, and I've always found iMacros for CR way too buggy for me, and too limited (compared to v8.8.2 + v8.9.7 for FF that I use), even v10.0.5, (and v10.0.2 for FF is not better now, ah-ah...!, is actually even worse and more limited than v10.0.5 for CR now, ugh...!? + the 'Free'/'PE' Limitations...).

>>>

About "(and I don't even honestly know what I would do without your ingenious trick with with use of key 37 to deal with AJAX lists fields, many thanks for that--even though for the life of me I don't know how you discovered it)", ah-ah...! Well, I have a "Panoply" of several Tricks and Techniques I (try to) use when I look at a Case/Page/Site, and Keyboard Navigation using the 'EVENT' Mode is one of those... 8)

Then you are going to really like this little Demo about implementing the 'EXTRACT' Mechanism to the 'EVENT' Mode, ah-ah...! :wink:
Simply run the following Script on this current Page, or on any Thread from the Forum, to extract the 'Sub-Forum' and the 'Title' of a Thread. (Demonstrated in the 'PROMPT'.):

VERSION BUILD=8820413 RECORDER=FX
'SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
TAB T=1
'URL GOTO=https://forum.imacros.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30227&p=82177#p82177

'Extract Sub-Forum:
'[Shift+End]:
EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR="#nav-breadcrumbs>LI>SPAN:nth-of-type(3)>A" KEY=35 MODIFIERS="shift"
'[Ctrl+c]:
EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR="#nav-breadcrumbs>LI>SPAN:nth-of-type(3)>A" CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
SET Sub-Forum {{!CLIPBOARD}}

'Extract Thread Title:
'[Shift+End]:
EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR="#page-body>H2>A" KEY=35 MODIFIERS="shift"
'[Ctrl+c]:
EVENT TYPE=KEYPRESS SELECTOR="#page-body>H2>A" CHAR="c" MODIFIERS="ctrl"
SET Thread_Title {{!CLIPBOARD}}

PROMPT Sub-Forum:<BR>_{{Sub-Forum}}_<BR><BR>Thread_Title:<BR>_{{Thread_Title}}_
(Tested on [iMacros for FF v8.8.2, Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47), Win10_x64] + [iMacros for FF v8.9.7, FF v55.0.3, Win10_x64].)
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Yes, thank you chivracq, I indeed really enjoyed the demo. Did not realize that shift-End can select text fields that are not Input fields--looks like selecting a page element is akin to placing cursor on the beginning position of it, did not even know I could do so manually with mouse for non-Input filelds. Something to definately keep in my own collection of tricks :)

I too hope that one of the newer version of iMacros can make up the ground lost since 8.9.7 release. To me, non-support of .js macros is a complete deal killer since is it self-contained portableFF/iMacros javascript capability that made me choose iMacros in the first place, as I can easily move the whole setup around, and place it on the systems where I do not have Administrative rights.

I remember trying PM/iMacros combo some time ago when I was starting my automation project, mostly because it was so highly recommended by you, and my FF .js would not run on PM as is without changes, if I recall correctly because of JS filesystem I/O interface--my project is rather heavy on I/O since it writes logs and reads/writes csv files, etc and I think there were differences in I/O functions for FF vs PM, at least at the time. I know that you stick to pure .iim, so probably not sure how cross-platform JS IO is for pre-56 FF vs PM?

Perhaps I need to give it another go, since if newer iMacros does not get much of its functionality back, I will eventually have to choose to either switch to latest PM if it still supports 8.9.7 or re-implement in another automation environment entirely...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 am

serbeer wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Yes, thank you chivracq, I indeed really enjoyed the demo. Did not realize that shift-End can select text fields that are not Input fields--looks like selecting a page element is akin to placing cursor on the beginning position of it, did not even know I could do so manually with mouse for non-Input filelds. Something to definately keep in my own collection of tricks :)

I too hope that one of the newer version of iMacros can make up the ground lost since 8.9.7 release. To me, non-support of .js macros is a complete deal killer since is it self-contained portableFF/iMacros javascript capability that made me choose iMacros in the first place, as I can easily move the whole setup around, and place it on the systems where I do not have Administrative rights.

I remember trying PM/iMacros combo some time ago when I was starting my automation project, mostly because it was so highly recommended by you, and my FF .js would not run on PM as is without changes, if I recall correctly because of JS filesystem I/O interface--my project is rather heavy on I/O since it writes logs and reads/writes csv files, etc and I think there were differences in I/O functions for FF vs PM, at least at the time. I know that you stick to pure .iim, so probably not sure how cross-platform JS IO is for pre-56 FF vs PM?

Perhaps I need to give it another go, since if newer iMacros does not get much of its functionality back, I will eventually have to choose to either switch to latest PM if it still supports 8.9.7 or re-implement in another automation environment entirely...
Yep, very good and "kill-kill-sober" Analysis about iMacros (for FF) and its current/further State/Evolution... I will quote some part(s) of your (previous) Reply in "my" "Future of iMacros" Thread as I really-really agree with you actually... Pfff, quite "depressing" but you are completely "right"... :roll:

But OK, about PM and FIO..., hum, Okaaaaaaay..., I'm a bit surprised..., and yep indeed I only do '.iim', but hum, I also do "a lot of" 'FIO' Actions, in many of my Scripts as I often have some very poor and unreliable Int-Co., so I do a lot of Logging, about 1 Line in '.CSV' every 2 Sec, and I've NEVER seen any Pb from iMacros and PM, only from OpenOffice if I wait "too long" before splitting those '.CSV'/'.LOG' Files and OO has "Difficulties" opening 25Mb .'CSV' Files...
Hum..., so I don't know...
I've been running some Monitoring Script since 2 months, oh..., hum only 1 Line every 30 sec..., OK, no big deal, except the Size, hum, back to the 25Mb thing...
But I've also run some Script doing some other "Checking/Monitoring", at 15.000 Entries in about 8-10 hours (needed one 'URL GOTO'), and I never noticed any FIO Pb from iMacros... (v8.8.2 + v8.9.7)
The only time iMacros will "complain" is when using the OS Clipboard, about some "NS_Bit_Rate" being too high or too short or whatever, but simply enabling '!ERRORIGNORE' solves "it"...
So I'm a bit surprised that you tried PM and FF was doing better... Hum..., "a bit" = "a lot" (surprised)...!
PM is doing much-much-much better than FF on everything related to Performance, and especially in the long run, when Scripts have to run for hours or days or weeks... FF can handle "hours", but definitely not "days" (hum, maybe "day" (singular)), and DEFINITELY not "weeks", ah-ah...! I have some Script running all time in some PM Profile, that I pffff..., kill and restart about once every 3-4-5 weeks, unless if I have to DJ somewhere, then OK, I kill absolutely everything as I often also VJ with several Videos beaming at the same time, so I really control what "everything" is doing at the CPU Level...

But OK, "good News", v8.9.7 for FF still works on PM v28 "the latest Version" afaik, => 'Portable' for example... :idea:
PM didn't go WebExtensions luckily, and hum, I might also for myself give a shot to PM28 + v8.9.7 as I still use PM26 + v8.8.2 as my "Standard" Browser for everything (=500+ Tabs, oops...!), but pfff..., more and more Sites start complaining about PM 26, and actually the ones complaining still work if I just change my UA, but SOF + Twitter + LinkedIn are completely unusable anymore in it, and FB every week less also... A bit stupid and surprising is SOF (Stackoverflow), supposed to be programmed by really-really Advanced Programmers, the Site is a complete Joke, completely buggy even in FF (v55.0.3 where all Functionality still works)...
Oh oops, sorry for my "Rant", but v8.9.7 for FF still works in PM28 (Latest/Current Version), afaik, I didn't try myself..., but hum, soon... (for myself...)
Oh ja, and I will indeed first try with PM v28 (Portable) just to check if 'FILTER' is not broken, or I'll have to keep my current PM26 + v8.8.2... OK, either way, I''l have to update my main/default Browser one day as more and more Sites "complain" about it or simply don't work anymore...
Last edited by chivracq on Mon May 13, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks chivracq, this is all useful info, so I definately should give PM another try, I just need a catch a break from other things on my plate to do so.

Stability of browser is not a concern for me as I do not run any automated processes for any significant period of time, only use it to assist with form-filling I/O, so run time in seconds or minutes at most if lots of sites are invoked, but continuous access to 8.9.7 capabilities, including JS, combined with portable browser is must have.

It is too bad I did not find any way to run iM on apple devices, that would come handy for Ipads and Iphone that I use on the go. I suppose I could build a Windows VM, either on my PC on in cloud and access it over remote access client from iOS devices when needed, thus running iM remotely, but that would require good bandwidth for remote screen I imagine. Have you ever attempted anything similar?

Thanks!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 pm

serbeer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Thanks chivracq, this is all useful info, so I definately should give PM another try, I just need a catch a break from other things on my plate to do so.

Stability of browser is not a concern for me as I do not run any automated processes for any significant period of time, only use it to assist with form-filling I/O, so run time in seconds or minutes at most if lots of sites are invoked, but continuous access to 8.9.7 capabilities, including JS, combined with portable browser is must have.

It is too bad I did not find any way to run iM on apple devices, that would come handy for Ipads and Iphone that I use on the go. I suppose I could build a Windows VM, either on my PC on in cloud and access it over remote access client from iOS devices when needed, thus running iM remotely, but that would require good bandwidth for remote screen I imagine. Have you ever attempted anything similar?

Thanks!
Oh ja, I see you checking the Forum...! Hum, about Apple Devices, I don't really know, as I don't have any, but hum, a few Thoughts...
I guess you can instal FF on iPads and iPhones, then if you can copy Files locally (your '.iim'/'.js' Scripts) and install Add-ons then it could work, and even if Add-ons can't be installed, if you can copy the '.xpi' File for the Add-on and drag&drop it onto the Add-on Manager Page, it should still install I would think..., or copy it directly to your FF-Profile, I haven't installed iMacros for FF anymore in years, (hum except for v10.0.2), I already had it included in my FF or PM Profiles...

I've used 'TeamViewer' (and still actually) to access my Laptop if I left it at home and want to "check" it and control from any Computer or even from a SmartPhone... And nope, you don't really much Bandwidth, the Browser and iMacros and your Script run remotely, if you have a slow Co. on your Device, you'll only see a Screenshot of what is happening in the Browser where the Script is running every 2 or 3 secs, but that's good enough to launch a Macro or check if you have any 'PROMPT' in it...

Advanced User @Alex_[stg] had published an interesting (FF) Add-on/Utility about 2 years ago maybe with which you could control from a SmartPhone your iMacros Macros, it was a bit limited, but maybe useful for you... :idea:
serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed May 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you chivracq. FF for iOS is very different animal, plugings were not available the last time I checked, so yes, something like teamviewer would be the way to go.

Yes, I remember Alex's tool and himself. His getBot site (mostly in Russian) was (and still is) the most advanced case of public iMacro's application I've seen. From what I understand your macros are probably more advanced in themselves but they are not exposed to public plus he excels not as much in macros themselves as in web-based environment built to distribute and control them through various JS libraries. He charges subscription fee for his very advanced site (which is very well built) but he did make his remote control for iMacros available for free at https://console.getbot.ru/ He, btw, also relies on 8.9.7 full functionality, and, because of changes was forced to switch his user base to PM and post detailed instructions as to how to set it up, rather than his original FF use with simply request to load the add-on. Btw he published plans to release more variations of his app to handle more social media sites, but looks like he scrapped them -- I am guessing mostly due to changes in iMacros add-on which made relying on it for generating income risky and so having to invest additional time into serious development around it...