Where are all the options gone?

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
HoftPotter

Where are all the options gone?

Post by HoftPotter » Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 am

Hey guys, so i used to love imacros for firefox but since i recently updated its just gone downhill

Loops are only limited to 50, and the paid versions seem to only come with a program that only emulates internet explorer, which for my uses isnt suitable

However where are all the options gone in the free versions, i tried installing for chrome and firefox, go to extensions, but all different recording options that used to be available in the old version are not there anymore.

All the options i see is, dock imacros (which doesnt even work), use css selectors, or use element ids whenever possible
chivracq

Re: Where are all the options gone?

Post by chivracq » Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 am

HoftPotter wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 am
Hey guys, so i used to love imacros for firefox but since i recently updated its just gone downhill

Loops are only limited to 50, and the paid versions seem to only come with a program that only emulates internet explorer, which for my uses isnt suitable

However where are all the options gone in the free versions, i tried installing for chrome and firefox, go to extensions, but all different recording options that used to be available in the old version are not there anymore.

All the options i see is, dock imacros (which doesnt even work), use css selectors, or use element ids whenever possible
FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)

But OK, I guess you are talking about v10.0.2 for FF 'Free' and v10.0.5 for CR 'Free'.

Yep, it's all mentioned in the Released Notes for iMacros for FF v10.0.2 which had to be completely rewritten because of FF going WebExtensions, quite some Functionality from v8.9.7 is not supported anymore (or yet...?) in v10.0.2, like using '.js' Scripts or even the 'EVENT' Mode (which is implemented in v10.0.5 for CR btw).

And iMacros has gone "a little bit" Commercial indeed... :oops:

There are still 'Free' Versions for FF and CR, but the Functionality is then limited in the 'Free' Versions, compared to the Paid 'PE' Versions (= 'Personal Edition') for both Browsers. (And a 'PE License (~ US$100 I think) works for both Browsers...)

Functionality limited (= not supported) in the 'Free' Versions is:
+ Access to Local Files (needed for using a '.CSV' DataSource) or saving some Data with the 'SAVEAS TYPE=EXTRACT', and also for using Local '.iim' Macros.
+ Looping is now limited to 100 Loops (and not 50).
+ Macros up to 50 Lines of Code.
+ Vars limited to 3x Built-in '!VAR[1-3]' Vars. (This one Limitation might soon get removed in some next Version as it looks I've managed to convince TechSup that it has no real use except nagging Users and can easily be bypassed...)

The "old" iMacros for FF v8.9.7 still works until FF56 (recommended FF v55.0.3), this is the FCI most Advanced Users use, me included. :idea:
Or v8.9.7 for FF also works on the current/latest Pale Moon PM28 Version, which is at the same Patch and Security Level like the latest/current FF66. :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
HoftPotter

Post by HoftPotter » Mon May 13, 2019 4:44 am

thanks for the response, i actually was trying to look for the old version as i found it much better, but that means i need old firefox version too without it auto updating

by any chance do you have a link to that?

i was also actually considering buying imacros as i did find it very useful, however from what read is that even if you buy it, youll only receive a program that emulates internet explorer, which is pointless to me as i need it for firefox or chrome
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon May 13, 2019 5:34 am

HoftPotter wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:44 am
thanks for the response, i actually was trying to look for the old version as i found it much better, but that means i need old firefox version too without it auto updating

by any chance do you have a link to that?

i was also actually considering buying imacros as i did find it very useful, however from what read is that even if you buy it, youll only receive a program that emulates internet explorer, which is pointless to me as i need it for firefox or chrome
Normally I had managed to get all previous and "useful" (= stable!) Versions of iMacros for FF made available for download from the 'iMacros for FF Legacy' Wiki Page..., easiest way to find it back is from the 'Command Reference' to go to the 'VERSION' Command where all Related Pages about "Version History" are listed at the bottom... (And you have a Link to the Wiki a bit above in your Thread, in the Red "scary" Block about the Forum Rules...)
Yep, it works, and all the Downloads Links are there...
(Go for v8.9.7, and not for v9.0.3.)

About "buying iMacros", you have 2 Options, either the 'PE' License for the Add-ons for FF + CR (to remove all the Limitations from the 'Free' Versions for those 2 Browsers), or you have iMB (= THE "iMacros Browser"), also called the "Professional Edition" (while 'PE' = "Personal Edition"), current Version is iMB v12.5, and iMB is a Standalone Browser, forked on IE indeed, and that also supports the 'DS' Mode. But iMB costs about US$500 I think...
And you also have the 'Enterprise Edition', which comprises iMB + 'PE' License for FF+CR and + the 'Scripting Interface' also which allows to script all 4 Browsers with iMacros using any Programming Language, like '.vbs'/'C++'/'C#' for example...

All Info about all Editions on this Page I think... (Direct Link found also from the Home Page on the Wiki...)

The "best" and most powerful Environment if "you need FF or CR" is v8.9.7 for FF on FF v55.0.3 or PM28, or if you are in an Enterprise Environment and can't install some "older" Version of FF or a different Browser like PM (and both FF and PM have also a Portable Version, that can be run or copied from a USB-Stick), then a 'PE' License for v10.0.x for FF+CR if you are going to make new Scripts and don't need to use "old" '.js' Scripts. And the 'EVENT' Mode is currently not supported in v10.0.2 for FF.
And Command Line (using a '.BAT' File or OS Task Scheduler) is also pretty cumbersome now for both Browsers...
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
Mikemacx

Post by Mikemacx » Tue May 28, 2019 2:16 pm

I was able to run two separate versions of firefox and i have the older version of iMacros on the older one. It works and I can still do all the old commands and functions as before. You're other option is to use Kantu Browser Automation.
zirjeo

Post by zirjeo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi Chivracq, do all the limitations below also apply to the free version for IE or just Chrome and FF?

+ Access to Local Files (needed for using a '.CSV' DataSource) or saving some Data with the 'SAVEAS TYPE=EXTRACT', and also for using Local '.iim' Macros.
+ Vars limited to 3x Built-in '!VAR[1-3]' Vars. (This one Limitation might soon get removed in some next Version as it looks I've managed to convince TechSup that it has no real use except nagging Users and can easily be bypassed...)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:12 pm

zirjeo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 pm
Hi Chivracq, do all the limitations below also apply to the free version for IE or just Chrome and FF?

According to the 'Feature Comparison' Page, they seem to apply also to the "latest" Version of the Free Add-on for IE (=> will be v12.5, I reckon...), except for the File-Access Functionality which is still supported "natively" (no FIO-Module needed), the "only" Limit would be 100 Rows + 3 Cols in a '.CSV' DataSource... (Which can be seen as "logical" in a way, if Looping is limited to 100 anyway...)
zirjeo

Post by zirjeo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 pm

I don't see that it says anything about VAR3+, but I think you said there's a work around for that anyhow. I'm just contemplating if I want to get the latest version, I still have a very old version that has all the features but all of a sudden in last couple days IE is crashing saying a malfunctioning or malicious add-on has cause IE to close this webpage, I suspect it's the imacros add-on but not sure maybe it has nothing to do with it.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:40 pm

zirjeo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 pm
I don't see that it says anything about VAR3+, but I think you said there's a work around for that anyhow. I'm just contemplating if I want to get the latest version, I still have a very old version that has all the features but all of a sudden in last couple days IE is crashing saying a malfunctioning or malicious add-on has cause IE to close this webpage, I suspect it's the imacros add-on but not sure maybe it has nothing to do with it.
Well, "very old version", your Sig mentions that you are using v11.5 for IE on IE11... If that's correct, v11.5 is not that "very-very" old, and it should still work...

Code: Select all

WIndows 10, IE11, VERSION BUILD=11.5.498.2403
You can try disabling different Add-ons one by one, or disabling them all and re-enabling them one by one...
Or to install v12.5 for IE on a different Computer and check all Limits...

IE11 got a few Patches "recently" in the May and/or June (2019) Windows Updates, it's not even "sure" you won't have the same Pb with v12.5 either, if one of those Updates broke "something"... Would need more Details about your Script + Site for TechSup to investigate, but I think you are the first User to report stg like that...

And yes, the 3x Var Limit is pretty easy to bypass, I can think of more than 10 different Workarounds... I thought I had "convinced" TechSup that that Limit was a bit useless anyway, I'm not sure if v12.5 for IE 'Free' came "after" that Discussion, it would even be possible that that Limit already got removed, you would need to check... And in 50 Lines of Code, you can't squeeze that many-many Vars anyway... More "annoying" I would think, is that you'll have to rename all your Vars if you were using User-Defined Vars..., which I have always "encouraged" Users to do actually, rather than using/reusing all the same '!VARn' Vars...
zirjeo

Post by zirjeo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Ok thanks. Ill post back if I figure anything out.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 pm

zirjeo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:02 pm
Ok thanks. Ill post back if I figure anything out.
:wink:
zirjeo

Post by zirjeo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm

I guess officially it is the IpSwitch addon. Just got an application error. Please send error log file or crash report to ipswitch support. I can't get an updated version of IpSwitch without downloading the whole latest version of IE imacros right?
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:20 pm

zirjeo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm
I guess officially it is the IpSwitch addon. Just got an application error. Please send error log file or crash report to ipswitch support. I can't get an updated version of IpSwitch without downloading the whole latest version of IE imacros right?
The E-mail Address still works I think, but indeed, I guess you're right and TechSup will probably ask you to first test with the latest Version... which you could test on another PC..., well if your Script doesn't "hit" any of the Limitations... :oops:
For iMB it's possible to ask for some "Evaluation" License, but I guess the iMacros for IE Add-on "falls" under the 'Free'/'PE' Licensing Model... I can alert TechSup to have a look at your Thread but I reckon they will say the same thing, and they would probably need more Details (again) about your Script and your Site to be able to investigate anything..., I don't know, maybe your Crash Log will already help... :|
zirjeo

Post by zirjeo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:21 am

All I received was an automated email back so it didn't get me anywhere lol. I guess I may have to bite the bullet download the new version and have to rewrite a massive amount of code, I think I must have like 200 different macros so this is going to suck. I will definitely try the new version on another computer if I can first. For IE it sounds like I can still access local files, and i'm not looking to loop more than 20x's. My main concern is the 3x variable max but you said there's workarounds for this. I'm hoping I can do a lot of find and replace to update everything. Do you recommend a particular method of the workaround for variables or can point me to a good thread regarding that? Would appreciate it, thanks.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:55 am

zirjeo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:21 am
All I received was an automated email back so it didn't get me anywhere lol. I guess I may have to bite the bullet download the new version and have to rewrite a massive amount of code, I think I must have like 200 different macros so this is going to suck. I will definitely try the new version on another computer if I can first. For IE it sounds like I can still access local files, and i'm not looking to loop more than 20x's. My main concern is the 3x variable max but you said there's workarounds for this. I'm hoping I can do a lot of find and replace to update everything. Do you recommend a particular method of the workaround for variables or can point me to a good thread regarding that? Would appreciate it, thanks.
The automated E-mail Reply is normal, but TechSup still monitors that Account normally afaik...

And I guess you probably included a Link to this current Thread in your Mail, then they should come and have a look at the Thread, I reckon... 8)

For the 3x '!VARn', I'm not completely sure but I don't think..., hum wait...!, yep there is already actually, from a few weeks ago, or maybe 2 or 3 months ago, some User was indeed using an Array to declare several Vars in 1 Var and re-split that Array to re-separate all different Vars in it. Hum, 5 months ago actually, found it, 1st Hit on "array+chivracq":
- Re: Loop throw couple of numbers?
But that's just an "Example", I can think of more than 10 different Methods to implement the same Functionality, it should be pretty "trivial" for you also, I would think, after using iMacros for 3 years already... :wink:

But again, you should first test in v12.5 'Free' for IE, it is possible that the 3x '!VARn' Limitation has already been removed in that fairly recent Version..., as I had had a "Discussion" about that Limitation with TechSup and had "managed" to convince them that that Limitation was a bit "useless", and they were going to "check" with Dev/Management to indeed (hopefully) remove it in next Releases for the 'Free' Versions..., but I'm not sure if that Discussion took place before or after v12.5 for IE 'Free' got (a bit silently) released...