possible to scrape/save images using imacros and save to csv?

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
mthorn

possible to scrape/save images using imacros and save to csv?

Post by mthorn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi - is it possible for an imacros script to scrape/copy/save an image from a website and place it into a spreadsheet (xlsx or csv)? Ideally I want imacros to take the image from the site, then reduce the size so it fits into a column field in a spreadsheet. For instance if the website image is 10cm x 10cm large, reduce the size to 2cm x 2cm and insert into the spreadsheet. Is this possible and if so how? many thanks
chivracq

Re: possible to scrape/save images using imacros and save to csv?

Post by chivracq » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 pm

mthorn wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm
Hi - is it possible for an imacros script to scrape/copy/save an image from a website and place it into a spreadsheet (xlsx or csv)? Ideally I want imacros to take the image from the site, then reduce the size so it fits into a column field in a spreadsheet. For instance if the website image is 10cm x 10cm large, reduce the size to 2cm x 2cm and insert into the spreadsheet. Is this possible and if so how? many thanks
Post/Topic approved after some "Hesitations", but before I do any Thinking (well, I already have actually) and take some Time answering your Post, can you "confirm" you are a "real" User as you appear to be "hiding" behind a Tor-Browser and different Proxy/VPN's, with very dirty IP's "notorious" for Spam...? :shock:

+ CIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig...)
And if you haven't installed iMacros yet, mention at least which OS you are using and which Browser(s)...?
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
mthorn

Post by mthorn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am

Hi - yes, I am indeed a real user. I have been travelling overseas, using various hotspots, which may explain everything! To answer your other question I am referring to any version of iMacros running on most flavours of Windows and any browser. I look forward to your reply. Many thanks for your help
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

mthorn wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am
Hi - yes, I am indeed a real user. I have been travelling overseas, using various hotspots, which may explain everything! To answer your other question I am referring to any version of iMacros running on most flavours of Windows and any browser. I look forward to your reply. Many thanks for your help
OK, good...! And OS = "Windows" then, Win10/Win7 I reckon...

Well, for your "Scenario", several Techniques and Functionality come "into the picture" (pun intended)... iMacros is for Web-Automation, which means Automation in/from the Browser, so it won't be able to handle ("directly") the Picture Resize and the Picture C&P or Embed into your '.xlsx' File/Sheet. (A '.csv' File is a Text File, it cannot handle/contain an Image File, or "only" its Name/Local Path or your PC or its URL if you have the Image located "somewhere" on Internet.)

The File Resize could be done locally on your PC using some Graphic Application that could preferably be controlled from the Command Line, and thus scriptable from a '.BAT' File (that could be launched from iMacros).

But maybe easier would be to let some Online Website do the Resize, there are oodles of (Free) Sites offering that Functionality, to convert Images/Videos/Audio Files from one Format to another one and to change (lower) the Size/Resolution/Quality in the Process, accepting as Input File either a Local File (Upload from Local Path or Drag&Drop) or an URL if the File is already "Online" somewhere, and that part can be automated/handled from iMacros, at least with Upload from Local Path or URL, the Drag&Drop doesn't really work from iMacros, I think...

Then from that Online Convert/Resize Site, you can download locally your "new" File to reuse in your '.xlsx' Sheet. From iMacros it's as well possible to also save a mini-'.txt' or '.csv' File containing the File Name + Local Path if that's "easier" from Excel to paste or embed the Image in the Sheet, and/or that Info can also automatically be copied to your OS Clipboard from iMacros.

Stg else to take into account, is that all "current" Versions of the iMacros Add-ons for IE/FF/CR for the "current" Browser Versions now come in a 'Free' + a 'PE' (= Personal Edition, not Free) Versions, and the Local File-Access Functionality (needed for Save/Download/Upload) is not included in the 'Free' Versions, except for IE. Hum, and 'File Upload' is not supported at all on FF, I think... (using v10.0.2 for FF). 'Download' might still work in the 'Free' Versions but you can only download to a Default Location.

A fully functional and not limited (and Free) Version would be iMacros for FF v8.9.7, but it only works until FF56 (recommended FF v55.0.3), and that Version also works on all current/latest Version of 'Pale Moon' (PM28), 'CyberFox', 'WaterFox', 'Basilisk' etc and other Browsers forked on FF but that didn't adopt the WebExtensions Framework like Mozilla did with FF from FF57.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
mthorn

Post by mthorn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 am

Very many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I really need to pay for an iMacros expert to create a special macro script for me. Can you point me in the direction of someone who can help? I need to basically create an iMacros script of about 100 or so actions, which can scrape specific data from a website and place it in a spreadsheet. Many thanks in advance for your help
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 pm

mthorn wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 am
Very many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I really need to pay for an iMacros expert to create a special macro script for me. Can you point me in the direction of someone who can help? I need to basically create an iMacros script of about 100 or so actions, which can scrape specific data from a website and place it in a spreadsheet. Many thanks in advance for your help

Hum, about "of about 100 or so actions", if using a "current" Version of FF/CR (=> FF68 or CR75), you will need a 'PE' License for their corresponding iMacros Version (=> v10.0.2 for FF or v10.0.5 for CR) as another Limitation for the 'Free' Versions is that they are limited to 50 Lines of Code. :oops:
And like I already mentioned, 'File Upload' is not supported in v10.0.2 for FF. "Best" would be if you'll be able to use v8.9.7 for FF (+ FF v55.0.3 (Portable maybe if you want to keep a FF67/68 Environment as well) or 'Pale Moon' v28 or one of the "forked" Browsers I already mentioned...), which is the Version all "serious"/"Advanced" Users use anyway... 8) (+ iMB (the iMacros Browser) or the 'Enterprise Edition' of course...)

Looking for sbd to write a Script for you, well, you have an 'iMacros Consultants' Sub-Forum on our Forum where a few Developers have posted in it and left a way to contact them (PM is disabled on the Forum), or you can post yourself in that Sub-Forum... :idea:

Some Advanced User quite active on the Forum is @thecoder2012 who sometimes "takes" iMacros Projects and has a way to contact him through his Profile/Sig/Website... 8)
Same with other Advanced User @Shugar on SOF (Stackoverflow Forum) who's also very good and has a way to contact him also in his Profile... :idea: (But he's been very "quiet" since a few months, so I'm not sure if he's available...)
And if you don't "find" anybody, then yep, I could "do it" also... :wink: (But I don't "help" for Social Media ('Twitter', 'FB', 'Instagram' etc..., 'LinkedIn' "maybe"), scraping E-mail Addresses, or Captcha... :P )
mthorn

Post by mthorn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks very much - really appreciate your help
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:40 pm

chivracq wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 pm
Some Advanced User quite active on the Forum is @thecoder2012 who sometimes "takes" iMacros Projects and has a way to contact him through his Profile/Sig/Website... 8)
The user has contacted me but without enough details (e.g. url or test file). Waiting for feedback (user email response) because I have already answered the email.
chivracq wrote:
And if you don't "find" anybody, then yep, I could "do it" also... :wink: (But I don't "help" for Social Media ('Twitter', 'FB', 'Instagram' etc..., 'LinkedIn' "maybe"), scraping E-mail Addresses, or Captcha... :P )
Really all captchas? (e.g. crypto-loot) :wink:
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm

thecoder2012 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:40 pm
chivracq wrote:
The user has contacted me but without enough details (e.g. url or test file). Waiting for feedback (user email response) because I have already answered the email.
OK, nice, good "luck"... :wink:
(And dare to "shout" if you get stuck, ah-ah...! :wink: )

thecoder2012 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:40 pm
chivracq wrote:
Really all captchas? (e.g. crypto-loot) :wink:
Hum, well..., especially 'crypto-loot', I would think...:
Loading Captcha...
If it doesn't load, please disable Adblock!
=> In their dreams...! :shock:
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 am

chivracq wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm
OK, nice, good "luck"... :wink:
(And dare to "shout" if you get stuck, ah-ah...! :wink: )
Good news! I have the list with 100 actions but not enough time in this week but next week. But the user is really impatient. See Need an iMacros expert to create a macro. Will pay
chivracq wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm
Loading Captcha...
If it doesn't load, please disable Adblock!
=> In their dreams...! :shock:
Adblock is blocked more than only your wishes. Crypto javascript is blocked in adblock addons. I have not checked this case but I think it's same.
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea: