Interested to learn how people are using iMacros!

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
zihua

Interested to learn how people are using iMacros!

Post by zihua » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a university student studying computer science at Stanford University (USA). I've recently been reading a lot about automation solutions (like RPA) and web automation tools like iMacro! I'm super intrigued as to what problems you guys here are solving with iMacro. I'm doing this for a research project at Stanford and would absolutely love your inputs!

Thank you so much! :D :D
chivracq

Re: Interested to learn how people are using iMacros!

Post by chivracq » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 pm

zihua wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 pm
Hey guys,

I'm a university student studying computer science at Stanford University (USA). I've recently been reading a lot about automation solutions (like RPA) and web automation tools like iMacro! I'm super intrigued as to what problems you guys here are solving with iMacro. I'm doing this for a research project at Stanford and would absolutely love your inputs!

Thank you so much! :D :D
+ Quoting your 2nd Post that I am going to disapprove as Duplicate, belongs to this current Thread...:
Is there a way to direct message haha?
Posted by zihua » 11/04/2019 - 00:33

Hi guys,

I'm a university student studying computer science at Stanford University (USA). I've been reading a lot about web automation like iMacro. I'm wondering if there is a way I can direct message another person on the forum?

With that said, dear Mr. chivracq (who is most definitely going to review this post), I would love to hear your thoughts and ask you some questions regarding your experience of using iMacros! I read your post on 2018/2019 state of iMacros and the future and I'm really excited to share with you what I have in mind about AI (my major) and browser automation! I'd love to get in touch with you through email or even jump on a short phone call. Please reach me at zliu19@stanford.edu! I'm super looking forward to talking with you!

Thank you so much! :D
Welcome-welcome, interesting Qt, ah-ah...! :D

"Is there a way to direct message haha?"
=> Nope, not really, unless Users have posted an E-mail Address in their Sig/Profile or posted some 'Skype'/'Yahoo Messenger'/'IRC' Info in their Profile to contact them... (PM is disabled on the Forum...)

Interesting Qt then, I would say..., but hum, I would say your "first Formulation" is a bit "vague" and "too broad"... :o

Read a bit of Documentation, and a few Threads on the Forum, and yep, the Thread you mention where I "ventilated" already a few of my "Thoughts" about the Future of iMacros is indeed already a good "starting point" (you can post in that Thread if you want...), but I would first hear/read from you what you "have in mind" and that you define/narrow a bit the "Scope" of your Research, before giving you my E-mail Address (and I don't like Phone anyway, ah-ah...!)

And I'll probably prefer a "public" Conversation on the Forum anyway, I reckon... Well, unless you want/need to keep some part(s) a bit "undisclosed" until you use/publish it/them for your own Research... 8)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
zihua

Post by zihua » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Hello good sir, thanks for the reply!

Re taking this discussion private: no no... In fact the more people participate in the conversation the better! I really want to learn everything I can. Just thought that calling might be the best realtime/time-efficient communication. But if anyone wants to reach out to me my email is in the post above. Love to have any conversation!

Re scope of my research: it's pretty open-ended and it's pretty public. On a high level, I want to learn who is really using iMacros and why. to be more concrete, here are some top of mind questions for me:
  • Are people using iMacro for work or for leisure?
  • If it is used for work, what kind of problems are iMacros solving for users? What kind of jobs requires such automations? How big a portion is "automating tasks" for this job?
  • How do people think about "Kantu" or even RPA solutions like UiPath?
Another interesting observation I had while looking at some threads here is that most of the questions fall in the following "archetype":
  • Command X doesn't work/yields error Y
  • Request for feature Z
  • How to use feature A?
I thought I was going to see more of "Can I do Task T with iMacro?". The feeling I have while browsing the forum is like reading GitHub issues or StackOverflow instead of Quora if that makes any sense (not that there are any problems, I love developer community)? I reckon that most people here are actually developers, which makes me even more curious: what are developers using iMacro for? are they automating for someone else? etc. etc.

Hope this provides a little clearer context on what I'm looking for?
Thanks!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

zihua wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm
Hello good sir, thanks for the reply!

Re taking this discussion private: no no... In fact the more people participate in the conversation the better! I really want to learn everything I can. Just thought that calling might be the best realtime/time-efficient communication. But if anyone wants to reach out to me my email is in the post above. Love to have any conversation!

Re scope of my research: it's pretty open-ended and it's pretty public. On a high level, I want to learn who is really using iMacros and why. to be more concrete, here are some top of mind questions for me:
  • Are people using iMacro for work or for leisure?
  • If it is used for work, what kind of problems are iMacros solving for users? What kind of jobs requires such automations? How big a portion is "automating tasks" for this job?
  • How do people think about "Kantu" or even RPA solutions like UiPath?
Another interesting observation I had while looking at some threads here is that most of the questions fall in the following "archetype":
  • Command X doesn't work/yields error Y
  • Request for feature Z
  • How to use feature A?
I thought I was going to see more of "Can I do Task T with iMacro?". The feeling I have while browsing the forum is like reading GitHub issues or StackOverflow instead of Quora if that makes any sense (not that there are any problems, I love developer community)? I reckon that most people here are actually developers, which makes me even more curious: what are developers using iMacro for? are they automating for someone else? etc. etc.

Hope this provides a little clearer context on what I'm looking for?
Thanks!
Yep, sorry, I see you checking your Thread, I didn't have the "time" to reply to your last Post, as my "Answer" will have to be a bit "lengthy"..., and I'm a bit "busy" this week, probably until Sunday... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
zihua

Post by zihua » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:07 pm

No Problem! Take your time haha!
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Some probably "fake" Post/Reply from some new User probably only trying to pass Forum Approval... :wink:
(Very dirty IP, notorious for Spam, from behind a Proxy... (I'm nearly surprised they managed to register to the Forum from that dirty IP, ah-ah...!))
Post disapproved as I don't want to grant them Access to the Forum, but I'm still posting/quoting their Post on their behalf:
Posted by violetevergarden » 12/05/2019 - 21:46

i personally use it for work and it really helps me a lot and i would really like to know what others use it why and how! thanks for keeping it public.
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm

All users (except chivracq) are gone in this thread. :x
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:21 am

thecoder2012 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm
All users (except chivracq) are gone in this thread. :x

Ah-ah...!, behave @thecoder, grrr...!! :wink:

But..., pfff, yeah well, interesting Qt @OP actually, but it sounded a little bit "too much" like some "Market Research" for some "New Product" to me, so I didn't really react any more... (I would have needed to spend some "real" Time for a "proper" Reply, so I got quickly "demotivated", ah-ah...!)

+ No real Follow-up from you @OP, you could have bumped your Thread maybe 2 or 3 weeks later, without being "too pushy"... :o
Maybe not from this Thread, but I guess you probably must have come "a bit further", 4 months later after your OP, => maybe post an Update with some concrete Results/Analysis already..., from the Input you've already gathered... :idea:

And the Qt's in your OP were "pretty" vague/too broad, and as you can see, apparently not really "appealing" as nobody reacted, unless you got some "private" Answer(s) directly per Mail, maybe refine them based on those 4 months in-between, and maybe explain also a bit the "Purpose" of your Study... (which sounded very like a Market Research to me, before designing and launching some similar/competitive Product, or integrating those Funcs/Reqs into some already existing similar Tool like iMacros...) :idea:

Yeah, I really miss(ed) the "Scope" of your Research...! Why iMacros...? How come you are "so interested" by iMacros Users...? Are you "commissioned" by 'Ipswitch'/'Progress' (but they would get a wider Response by asking themselves, I would think...!), or is your Scope broader and did you also start a similar Thread on the Forums for similar Tools like iMacros (=> 'Selenium' / 'Kantu' / 'Katalon' / etc...)...? => Post the Links to those other Threads then... :idea:

And I don't mind "helping the Competition" (I've already opened a few Threads or posted a few Posts about "Alternatives" to iMacros, especially since the Commercial Licensing Model completely changed iMacros), but I want to do it "deliberately" and knowing I do it..., and even if I'm a Mod on this Forum, I remain completely "Objective" and I'm not affiliated with the Comp... (and I'm very often the first one to "bash" them, ah-ah...!) :wink:

I'm an Advanced User in iMacros because I've "creatively :oops: pushed" the Product to some "Extreme :twisted: " to manage to do the "Things" I would like to do with it, and I've been maintaining a List of EnhReqs (hum, for several years now, re-hum, not one single one got ever implemented I think, oops...!), so..., yep, as an Advanced User, I until now always find/found a way to do what I want with iMacros, but I'll be the first to switch to another similar Tool once I find one that is more powerful than iMacros... (and that I am convinced it is worth porting all/part of my Web-Automation to that or those other Tool(s)).
But..., pfff..., nope, that day has not come yet, ah-ah...! :twisted: