Help with URL GOTO=file:

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
plinka

Help with URL GOTO=file:

Post by plinka » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Without going into great detail, I am a long time user of iMacros for Firefox and am forced to upgrade because the version I run only works in a (now) unsupported version of Firefox. I am in the middle of a 30 day trial before I take the plunge and buy the product. The imacros for Firefox new version is giving me way too much grief (I have a lot of EVENT TYPE= that is not supported in the new version), but my existing macros work good with iMacros for Chrome. But one issue is popping up and I am hoping someone can help me with this. If I can fix this, then I think I will go ahead and get the license.

For some reason my macros stop/pause/don't proceed after calling up a file. For example, if I want to play a sound, it will play a sound (in the Chrome window which is annoying but I will figure that out later) but goes no further. I also have macros that open some files I need to reference, but it just sits there,. Nothing opens and the macro goes no further. Any suggestions?

VERSION BUILD=9030808 RECORDER=FX
TAB T=1
Wait Seconds=1
URL GOTO=www.facebook.com
URL GOTO=file://C:\Windows\Media\chimes.wav
PROMPT "Account type? (s)tudent, ()staff/temp/contractor, (a)lumni (f)aculty or (p)rospect?" !VAR5 s
PROMPT "Did they (e)mail, (p)hone, (v)oicemail, (w)alk in, or ()autogenerated?" !VAR8 e
PROMPT "Enter the Summary" !VAR7 "Unable to log into their academic account - Account not activated"
<snip>

iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5
On Windows 10
Using Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Tom, Tech Support

Re: Help with URL GOTO=file:

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 am

Hi plinka,

Access to local files is not supported with the freeware versions of iMacros for Chrome and Firefox. You need at least a Personal Edition license and to install the File Access for iMacros Extensions module (Windows-only) for this to work.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
plinka

Post by plinka » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 am

Thanks for replying.

I do have a full evaluation. I also have already installed the file access option.

The file opens/downloads, it is just that nothing happens after that. It just stays at that location in the macro and never moves on to the next step.

Any suggestions?

douglas
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:45 am

plinka wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 am
Thanks for replying.

I do have a full evaluation. I also have already installed the file access option.

The file opens/downloads, it is just that nothing happens after that. It just stays at that location in the macro and never moves on to the next step.

Any suggestions?

douglas

Oh yep, wait...!, and check your Thread in about 15 min, I was already (just now) doing some Testing for this Thread and "preparing" a Reply, give me 15-20 min... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 am

plinka wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:02 pm
Without going into great detail, I am a long time user of iMacros for Firefox and am forced to upgrade because the version I run only works in a (now) unsupported version of Firefox. I am in the middle of a 30 day trial before I take the plunge and buy the product. The imacros for Firefox new version is giving me way too much grief (I have a lot of EVENT TYPE= that is not supported in the new version), but my existing macros work good with iMacros for Chrome. But one issue is popping up and I am hoping someone can help me with this. If I can fix this, then I think I will go ahead and get the license.

For some reason my macros stop/pause/don't proceed after calling up a file. For example, if I want to play a sound, it will play a sound (in the Chrome window which is annoying but I will figure that out later) but goes no further. I also have macros that open some files I need to reference, but it just sits there,. Nothing opens and the macro goes no further. Any suggestions?

Code: Select all

TAB T=1
Wait Seconds=1
URL GOTO=www.facebook.com
PROMPT "Account type? (s)tudent, ()staff/temp/contractor, (a)lumni (f)aculty or (p)rospect?" !VAR5 s
PROMPT "Did they (e)mail, (p)hone, (v)oicemail, (w)alk in, or ()autogenerated?" !VAR8 e
PROMPT "Enter the Summary" !VAR7 "Unable to log into their academic account - Account not activated"
<snip>

iMacros for Chrome 10.0.5
On Windows 10
Using Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 am
Hi plinka,

Access to local files is not supported with the freeware versions of iMacros for Chrome and Firefox. You need at least a Personal Edition license and to install the File Access for iMacros Extensions module (Windows-only) for this to work.

Hum, registered in 2008, ouff-ouff, you are indeed one of the oldest "Dinosaurs" on this Forum, ah-ah...! You should actually be able to answer 95% Threads, I only joined 5 years later... 8)

But hum, "Without going into great detail", yep, that's always a "Mistake", the more Info, the better..., at least for me, you could have mentioned your previous FCI for example...
Detective Work:
=> iMacros for FF v9.0.3 from your Script, + FF55/56 "normally", but hum, using v9.0.3 and not v8.9.7, => will be FF56 then, but hum Academic Environment, => will probably be on the ESR Channel, => FF51/52(?), I don't remember exactly which of those 2 Versions is the "last" ESR FF Version before WebExtensions...
Am I correct...? :P

v8.9.7 for FF was all this time a much better Version to use than v9.0.3 btw, still can, with any of the Forked Browsers on FF that didn't follow the stupid WebExtensions Path, like PM28/WF51/CF/Basilisk, those 4 Browsers with v8.9.7 for FF are the most "Functional" FCI's to use for "Serious"/"Advanced" Users... :idea:

'Free'/PE' is missing from your FCI...?, which indeed triggered @Tom from @TechSup's Answer about installing the 'FIO'-Module for File-Access from the 'PE' Version...
+ @Tom, any Chance the Forum Rules could be updated about 'Free'/'PE' for the 3 Add-ons...?, it's already too often a complete "Hassle" to get Users to mention their FCI and once they finally do it, I have to start a 2nd Battle for the last 'Free'/'PE' Bit of Info that they often refuse to mention because it's not mentioned in the Forum Rules..., while it plays a huge Role... :idea:
Even if Users with the 'PE' Version often :wink: do mention it directly, thinking it's their "best Trump for proper Support as they paid for the Software"... 8)

Yep, wanted to say that the Thread was not related to the 'CLI' (Command Line Interface) (as the 'file' Protocol is handled by the Browser and not by iMacros and therefore even less by the iMacros CLI) and didn't belong to the 'SI & CLI' Sub-Forum, but it has already been moved... Not specific either to the 'CR' Sub-Forum, I would have thought the 'General' Sub-Forum is the "correct" one, but OK, never mind...

OK, next, @Tom, hum..., I don't think your Answer is the correct Solution/Explanation, like I mentioned the 'file' Protocol is handled by the Browser directly, and iMacros only gives an 'URL GOTO' Command to the Browser, which doesn't need the 'FIO'-Module, the Browser handles the URL submitted...
And @OP mentioned that the Sound is actually being plaid, so that part works apparently already, independently if they have the 'Free' or 'PE' Version, and I would expect it to work (also) in the 'Free' Version...

@OP, first time I see an "URL GOTO=file://C:\Windows\..." Command with only 2 Forward Slashes, I only know this Syntax as "URL GOTO=file:///C:\Windows\", => with 3 Forward Slashes, maybe that could play a Role...?
But hum, I checked both, and they both work indeed...! (Tested on [iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v26.3.3, Win10_x64]...)
There is still "a Chance" that CR works a bit differently than "my" PM (Pale Moon) Browser..., and still makes a Difference between 2x or 3x '/'...

I do notice that for both Cases on PM with v8.8.2, the '.wav' File is being plaid, but it triggers some '-933' RuntimeError about some "Network error while file or page loading" (while the '.wav' File is Local in my \Windows\ Directory) and is still being plaid...
Using '!ERRORIGNORE' dismisses the RuntimeError like expected, and strangely plays it _muuuch_ quicker and I get a White Display Background against a Black Background before without '!ERRORIGNORE'.
In all Cases, with some 'VLC' Icon displayed which is apparently the Plugin handling that '.wav' File.

OK, then I thought, hum, maybe '!ERRORIGNORE' is actually the Solution, and the reason why the Script hangs for @OP after that Command, ah-ah...!! :P

Then OK, after more than 30 min of Zen-Meditation and checking 20 times my Horoscope, and especially watching an Episode of 'Jessica Jones', you 2 but especially Jessica Jones gave me enough "Courage" to launch that stupid CR Browser that I really don't like... Hum, and this User/Thread also gave me a lot of "Inspiration" and "Motivation", it easily came between you 2, @OP + @Tom, and 'Jessica Jones', ah-ah...!

So, OK, I launched CR..., usually needs about 30 min before I can do anything in it as it always first needs to update itself to some later Version before I'm even allowed to check any Page..., I only launch it Max once a Month where there is some Thread really specific to CR only, but last time was about 3 months ago I think..., hum, went pretty quick this time, less than 1 min and I can already choose my Tab..., OK, I can better check my current Version before it will realize it needs to update, there is no Chance that since 3 months ago last time I used it, there was no Update in that time...
And hum, 'Help/About' already displays:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x800704C7 -- system level).
Learn more
Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
So, hum, strange, I'm already at CR76 which is actually the current/latest CR Version. Strange...! But OK, good, I won't have to wait for the usual 30 min before I can do any Testing...

That Version probably got downloaded/installed before 1 week ago when I finally removed absolutely all 'Google'/'Chrome' Win10 Services and Autorun related Progs and Reg-Entries and Web-Helpers and whatever that used to start automatically even if I never used CR. I'll have to check/clean again I guess now that I've started CR myself..., even if the "(error code 3: 0x800704C7 -- system level)" gives me some "Hope", ah-ah...!, as soon as I wanted to simply check the 'Help/About' Page in CR (just wanted to display which Version I had), I had some OS-Popup about some "Google Update" that was requiring Admin Rights on my Laptop, ah-ah...! Nice Joke...! Of course I denied...! :roll:
No Idea what this "Google Update" is, "Google" is a Search Engine for me, and a Company, I don't see why a Search Engine would need Admin Rights on my PC while I only want to see/check which Version I currently have installed for some Browser, ah-ah...! I didn't even trigger the "Check for Update" and even less some "Install Update" if any Update had been found... :shock:
I find this "criminal" Behaviour, Script Kiddies trying to hack a Web-Site get 5 years in Jail while Google (yes the Company...!) is doing exactly the same Thing in my Eyes, and with Millions of Users (hum, maybe Billion(s) actually)...

But OK, long Story, short rant, ah-ah...! I actually also did some Testing, ah-ah...!
FCI:
iMacros for CR v10.0.5, 'Free', CR76 (v76.0.3809.100 _x64), Win10_x64.

And hum, bad news for you @OP, I can't reproduce your Issue, all 4 Cases I mentioned previously while I tested on PM, => with 2 or 3 Forward Slashes, and with or without '!ERRORIGNORE', they all 4 work fine, I each time get the Sound and the 'PROMPT'. (Even without '!ERRORIGNORE'...) I only find the Script very slow to start compared to PM, always needs 3-5 sec before "Parsing" has finished, while it takes 0.5 sec on PM. And the 'PROMPT' a few times came out even before (0.5 sec) the Sound was plaid... But hum, I had some Music playing also at the same Time, preparing some DJ-Set for tomorrow, maybe that plaid a Role..., although I think I each time paused it, to make sure to hear the tiny "chimes.wav" Sound..., yeah, pretty sure actually...

Here is the mini-Script I used...:

VERSION BUILD=8820413 RECORDER=FX
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
TAB T=1

URL GOTO=file:///C:\Windows\Media\chimes.wav
PROMPT Bla-bla

PAUSE

'Parcel ID: (Hard-coded for Testing.)
SET !VAR1 626-09-01-260
PROMPT _{{!VAR1}}_
And I toggled the Forward Slashes between 2x and 3x, same with '!ERRORIGNORE' to get the 4 Combinations...
The part after the 'PAUSE' is from some previous Testing that I kept in the Script to make sure it wouldn't halt after the 'PROMPT'...

So, hum, I can't reproduce @OP, it works in all 4 Cases for me... :?
Hum, and I had mentioned a Black or White Background in PM, I only get a Black Background in CR, but no VLC Icon, I just get some mini Player with "Play 0:01 / 0:01 ------ Volume" ('Play' and 'Volume' are Icons...)

Oh...!, but then, @Tom, that means I was right earlier in my first "Feeling", Issue is not related to 'Free'/'PE', I only have the 'Free' Version for v10.0.5 for CR and it works for me...

Hum, and I can't reproduce either the strange Font Pb on the Forum from the "other" Thread that helped to "seduce" me to launch CR... :?

OK, I keep CR Open for 1 or 2 days for this Thread, next "Planning" is for Octb or Novb otherwise, but I guess @Tom will probably follow up... 8)
Hum, not sure I'll be able to keep CR Open for that long as I have to DJ tomorrow, and I always reboot before playing, and I then also kill as many Processes as I can... Even if I could skip the Reboot as I already rebooted recently (5 days ago), and it will be some semi-Private Party..., and CR with its 13 sub-Processes seems to behave "neatly" for its CPU Behaviour... But hum, will be Fr. evening then, and @Tom will probably have replied before, or that will report until after the WE... (Then OK, only 17 days until Octb then...!, if I need to kill CR/reboot and if I need to test stg in CR again... :P )

OK, now it's time for 'Jessica Jones' again, ah-ah...! :D

>>>

Hum, and I had luckily copied the complete Content of my Reply (to the Clipboard) before hitting the 'Submit' Button, because all I got was a "You need to login to be able to quote posts on this Forum" and even after Logging in, my Reply was lost...! :shock:

>>>

Oh ja...!, and I had checked your Web-Site also @OP, hum..., not really "impressed", pretty badly designed, with a few "huge" Mistakes in the Design and (Technical) Implementation, but pfff, as you can see, I'm quite "Verbose", and I need to sleep a bit also some time, so OK, maybe another time, if you are interested to hear my Feedback... (But I'm a "Killer", ah-ah...!) :wink:

Hum, can still do it "quickly"...: 8)
Is mostly a Performance Issue, Home Page took more than 4 min to load for me, 8.5Mb heavy for some "Standard" Home Page with just a few Pix, very little Text, mostly Menus to "next" Pages, is extremely heavy, due to Images from your Rotating Slide-Show hosted on your own Server 4x times the "Standard" Size, but even worse, the more than 100 Pix from several external Hosts, Pinterest/Instagram/Twitter/and a few more that all get downloaded, (all with "acceptable" Size actually, even if I think they were displayed at some highly reduced Size), while only a few get displayed and only to Max 1% of your Visitors if they really go looking for those half-hidden mini-Tabs about 'Instagram'/'Pinterest'/etc... which they will never check twice... :wink:
The 100 external Pix are not even counted in the 8.5Mb I mentioned, I didn't check my Browser Cache exactly, but I think your "full" Home-Page is about 15-20Mb heavy, which is a bit ridiculous... :shock:
[And I didn't dare to check any of the "next" Pages... :P ]

Site got probably developed/designed by one of your own Students, using 'Drupal' and a few "unrealistic" Requirements... I hope that Student was not the best of their Class or that doesn't give a very good Reputation about the "Quality" of your School/University I would think, just saying... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 am

Hum, stg else @OP, try changing your '!VAR5' in the first Input 'PROMPT' to '!VAR1'... :idea:

Only '!VAR[1-3]' or '!VAR[0-2]' (I'm not sure which Range) "used to be" the only Vars you could use in an Input 'PROMPT', especially in CR...

I don't know from which Base Code v10.0.1 for CR (and your v10.0.5 now) was/were developed, and I'm not even sure more than those 3 Built-in Vars were ever supported for CR... (@Tom will know more about that...)

>>>

Hum, yep indeed, I think that's the "Key"...!

I can reproduce your Behaviour @OP with your Script, more or less, but with your '!VAR5' + '!VAR8' + '!VAR7', I do get the first 'PROMPT' but the Script hangs after that...

But the following one works...! :P
(And the Range to use is '!VAR[1-3]', '!VAR0' is not accepted, no Error but the Script hangs also...)

VERSION BUILD=10021450

'SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
TAB T=1

URL GOTO=file:///C:\Windows\Media\chimes.wav
'PROMPT Bla-bla

PROMPT "Account type? (s)tudent, ()staff/temp/contractor, (a)lumni (f)aculty or (p)rospect?" !VAR1 s
PROMPT "Did they (e)mail, (p)hone, (v)oicemail, (w)alk in, or ()autogenerated?" !VAR2 e
PROMPT "Enter the Summary" !VAR3 "Unable to log into their academic account - Account not activated"
PROMPT VAR1:<BR>_{{!VAR1}}_<BR><BR>VAR2:<BR>_{{!VAR2}}_<BR><BR>VAR3:<BR>_{{!VAR3}}_
(Tested in iMacros for CR v10.0.5, 'Free', CR76, Win10_x64.)

So, OK, I "only" tested in the 'Free' Version, and maybe it's supposed to work with "other" Vars than '!VAR[1-3]' in the 'PE' Version, or the "Full Evaluation" still behaves like the 'Free' Version, I don't know..., I don't have the 'PE' Version to check... :wink:

>>>

And @Tom, notice the Bug about the '<BR>' Tag in the 'PROMPT', which gets replaced by a Space, affects v10.0.2 for FF also, I've reported it several times already... :idea:
(Same with '\r' + '\n\' + '\r\n' + '\\r' + '\\n' + '\\r\\n', none works, they simply get displayed in plain Text the 'PROMPT'...)
plinka

Post by plinka » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank-you @chivracq for the enormous amount time you spent on this. The issue persists but I am ready to give up. I will tell you what is happening but I am losing the will to live so this is more for info. I am thinking that the alternative is to create the Macros from scratch and see if that works. I have over 50, however it might save my sanity.

As confirmed by you, if I change the !var to "2" immediately after the URL GOTO in my example it does work. The !var 4-9 still work, just cannot be immediately after the URL GOTO.

The example I gave was for simplicity because it was the same behaviour, however the issue persists with other "URL GOTO" commands when calling a document. I realize if I wait long enough (about 30 seconds) I do get an error:
RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... a?id=72385, line: 21
The oddiity is that the "page" listed as loading time out is actually the page loaded on line 10 and has long since loaded. The macro highlights each line as it it running, and it never gets past the URL GOTO on line 21. It sits there until it returns this error about 30 seconds later.

Here is the relevant part of the macro. You will be unable to test it of course because you do not have access to the website, nor the documents, but I want you to see exactly what I am doing.
TAB T=1
'
SET !CLIPBOARD " "
PROMPT "Please enter the username" !VAR1
'search for other tickets
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
Wait Seconds=1
URL GOTO=https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/issues/ ... key%20DESC
'
PROMPT "Account type? (s)tudent, ()staff/temp/contractor, (a)lumni (f)aculty or (p)rospect?" !VAR2
PROMPT "Enter the Subject" !VAR7 "I am having trouble with CRM"
Prompt "Copy content from the Email"
'
Wait Seconds=3
'
'open file for responce options
URL GOTO=file:///O:/Staff/academic%20and%20information%20services/it-services/private/Information%20Sharing%20Place/HelpDesk/Doug's%20Document%20stuff/RTGR/Reply-44-CRM.rtf
<Stalls here. Eventually I will get an error saying "RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/issues/ ... key%20DESC, line: 21" which is not Line 21 but line 10>
'
'Create new EMS Ticket
URL GOTO=https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... a?id=72385
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:clone-issue ATTR=ID:summary CONTENT={{!VAR7}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ID:clone-issue ATTR=ID:clone-issue-submit
Also, thanks for the feedback on the website. Not sure why it takes you 4 minutes to load. It is usually seconds for me, but I will pass along the feedback to our webstaff. I will not include the info about a "student" creating the page as that might not go over well.

d
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 pm

plinka wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm
OK, next, @Tom, hum..., I don't think your Answer is the correct Solution/Explanation, like I mentioned the 'file' Protocol is handled by the Browser directly, and iMacros only gives an 'URL GOTO' Command to the Browser, which doesn't need the 'FIO'-Module, the Browser handles the URL submitted...
The reason I gave the solution/explanation that I did was because I tested Douglas' macro first without File Access installed and reproduced the same behavior he described in his original post. I then installed File Access and tested again and the macro ran fine for me. This led me to conclude that the problem could be remedied easily by installing File Access.

After reading through the remainder of the posts in this topic, I have verified that changing the variable names in the macro in the original post to use !VAR1,2, and 3 and playing the macro *without* File Access installed results in the correct behavior. The freeware versions are limited to just !VAR1,2, and 3, so this makes sense as to why it worked once the license and File Access was installed, which lifted this restriction. I recognize that the macro should not hang when making an invalid variable reference, and I have logged this issue for further investigation.
plinka wrote:
As confirmed by you, if I change the !var to "2" immediately after the URL GOTO in my example it does work. The !var 4-9 still work, just cannot be immediately after the URL GOTO.
@Douglas, I cannot substantiate this claim. As I have already mentioned above, when I run your original macro as-is with File Access installed it works, even with !VAR5 being referenced immediately after the URL GOTO.

When I run the following macro *with* File Access installed, I get the correct behavior:

VERSION BUILD=1005 RECORDER=CR
URL GOTO=https://wiki.imacros.net
SET !VAR5 Test
PROMPT {{!VAR5}}
When I run the same macro *without* File Access installed, I get the macro error:

BadParameter: Unsupported variable !VAR5, line: 3
However, when using the syntax of the PROMPT command for specifying a default value and running the following macro *without* file access installed, the problem occurs:

VERSION BUILD=1005 RECORDER=CR
PROMPT "Enter a value" !VAR5 1
So to be specific, the problem initially raised in this topic appears to be related to how invalid variable references are handled when specified as the default value to the PROMPT command.
plinka wrote:
however the issue persists with other "URL GOTO" commands when calling a document. I realize if I wait long enough (about 30 seconds) I do get an error:

RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... a?id=72385, line: 21

The oddiity is that the "page" listed as loading time out is actually the page loaded on line 10 and has long since loaded. The macro highlights each line as it it running, and it never gets past the URL GOTO on line 21. It sits there until it returns this error about 30 seconds later.
This appears to be a new, unrelated issue, so please post a new topic with regard to this.

So @plinka (Douglas) where do you stand with regard to the original issue raise in this thread?
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
plinka

Post by plinka » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello @tom,

I am not sure where I am at. I have a 30 day license and this is suppose to give me everything. I have installed the File access module.

I don't get the error you identified - "BadParameter: Unsupported variable !VAR5, line: 3"
It just stops running and eventually I get a timeout. The specific timeout error was only noticed later, but it was always the issue.

I get that if I change the !var to be 1 through 4 it goes past the "URL GOTO=file://C:\Windows\Media\chimes.wav" command, but the it does not go past the "URL GOTO=file:///O:/Staff/academic%20and%20information%20services/it-services/private/Information%20Sharing%20Place/HelpDesk/Doug's%20Document%20stuff/RTGR/Reply-44-CRM.rtf"

I guess I assumed that since is the same command URL Goto=File:// it would be a related issue. If you believe this two separate issues then I can do another post, but I do not feel this is two separate issue.

My frustration is that I have 40 or so macros that work fine with older Firefox and older iMacros, that will not work with the new iMacros because either 1) Firefox no longer supports some older command in my Macros or 2) Chrome won't open the documents I need.

It looks like I am stopped here. I am not sure what info to provide and am ready to throw in the towel and say goodby to iMacros in October with my computer gets upgraded. I would really like to pay for a license and continue working with it tho.

What do you need from me to solve this issue. Is there some way to pay for support to solve this issue?

d
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Douglas,
plinka wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 pm
I have a 30 day license and this is suppose to give me everything.
Yes that is correct, it does.

plinka wrote:
I don't get the error you identified - "BadParameter: Unsupported variable !VAR5, line: 3"
That is also correct. As I stated in my last reply, you would only get this error *without* having a license and no File Access installed.

plinka wrote:
but the it does not go past the "URL GOTO=file:///O:/Staff/academic%20and%20information%20services/it-services/private/Information%20Sharing%20Place/HelpDesk/Doug's%20Document%20stuff/RTGR/Reply-44-CRM.rtf"
Make sure that "Allow access to file URLs" is enabled for iMacros in your Chrome extensions settings:
  1. Go to More Tools - Extensions from the Chrome menu or enter chrome://extensions in the address bar
  2. Find iMacros for Chrome and click the Details button
  3. Find the "Allow access to file URLs" setting and enable it
  4. For good measure, close down all instances of Chrome and restart after making this change
Then try your macro again.

plinka wrote:
My frustration is that I have 40 or so macros that work fine with older Firefox and older iMacros, that will not work with the new iMacros because either 1) Firefox no longer supports some older command in my Macros or 2) Chrome won't open the documents I need.
I understand your frustration. Moving to the current version from a legacy version and/or switching browsers is not a trivial task, and it requires much due diligence to test, troubleshoot, and tweak existing macros. But there's another option you may be overlooking: why not simply continue using an older version of Firefox along with the legacy version of iMacros for Firefox, at least until the 'modern' versions of iMacros for Firefox/Chrome have more time to mature. In fact, it's possible to have the latest version of Firefox running in parallel with an older version on the same machine.

If you want to go down this path, I recommend using Firefox 52.9 ESR with iMacros for Firefox 8.9.7. Technically speaking, Firefox 56 is the last version that will continue to work with legacy extensions, however, Firefox 52.9 ESR (extended support release) is actually more up-to-date in terms of important browser and security updates. It can be a bit tricky to get everything setup and configured correctly, especially if you want to be able to run two different versions of Firefox on the same machine, but that is where our professional services can help. Feel free to submit a request using this link if you decide that's what you would prefer to do!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
plinka

Post by plinka » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Tom, you wrote
Make sure that "Allow access to file URLs" is enabled for iMacros in your Chrome extensions settings:
I double checked and that is enabled.

I tried again and got the same results.

It does download the the document, but just hangs there. The timer shows it is waiting (loading) for something.
loading.png
Eventually I get the following error:
RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... geId=12116, line: 20
Line 20 is the command to open the document. So is it possible iMacros doesn't realize the document has been opened? Is it possible to force the macro to keep going?

douglas
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:31 pm

The line number reported in the error message doesn't match with the actual command on that line. Where in the macro is it attempting to navigate to https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... geId=12116? Is that further down than what is shown in the screenshot?

Also, I noticed that the code in the screenshot is different from the code snippets you posted here previously. For example:
plinka wrote:
Here is the relevant part of the macro. You will be unable to test it of course because you do not have access to the website, nor the documents, but I want you to see exactly what I am doing.
TAB T=1
'
SET !CLIPBOARD " "
PROMPT "Please enter the username" !VAR1
'search for other tickets
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
Wait Seconds=1
URL GOTO=https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/issues/ ... key%20DESC
'
PROMPT "Account type? (s)tudent, ()staff/temp/contractor, (a)lumni (f)aculty or (p)rospect?" !VAR2
PROMPT "Enter the Subject" !VAR7 "I am having trouble with CRM"
Prompt "Copy content from the Email"
'
Wait Seconds=3
'
'open file for responce options
URL GOTO=file:///O:/Staff/academic%20and%20information%20services/it-services/private/Information%20Sharing%20Place/HelpDesk/Doug's%20Document%20stuff/RTGR/Reply-44-CRM.rtf
<Stalls here. Eventually I will get an error saying "RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/issues/ ... key%20DESC, line: 21" which is not Line 21 but line 10>
'
'Create new EMS Ticket
URL GOTO=https://jira.royalroads.ca:8443/secure/ ... a?id=72385
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:TEXT FORM=ID:clone-issue ATTR=ID:summary CONTENT={{!VAR7}}
TAG POS=1 TYPE=INPUT:SUBMIT FORM=ID:clone-issue ATTR=ID:clone-issue-submit
Notice here that after the comment line for "Create New EMS ticket" is a URL GOTO command, but in your screenshot it shoes that it is opening a new tab with a TAB OPEN command. I feel like we are not seeing the complete, whole picture, or at least not a consistent one anyway.

The reason this is all important is because I've tried replicating what your macro is doing "in spirit", i.e. prompt the user, open an .rtf file, and then navigate to some other site, and these steps all work without issue for me.

I'm also curious to know whether you have tried testing your macro using the iMacros browser?

plinka wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:57 pm
Is it possible to force the macro to keep going?
You could try setting a short page timeout and then ignoring the subsequent error to see if it makes any difference:

SET !TIMEOUT_PAGE 1
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:56 pm

My 2cts, but yep, same "Feeling" like Tom, "we" always need the exact Script to reproduce or "follow mentally" exactly what the Script is doing or supposed to do...

Stg else that could play a Role is that the 'URL GOTO=file:///O:/...' etc is for a '.RTF' File. :idea:

And iMacros can only handle that File from how the Browser will handle '.RTF' Files which in return will depend from how the '.RTF' Extension has been "declared" at the OS Level.

=> If you have associated the '.RTF' File Extension at the OS Level (from 'Windows Explorer') to be opened by 'MS Word' (or 'OpenOffice'/'LibreOffice'), the Browser (and therefore iMacros) will only offer you to "download" this File (even if it is already a Local File on your Computer), that maybe can still be handled by iMacros, but it would need an 'ONDOWNLOAD' Command, I would think, which I don't see..., but I guess that's not what you want anyway, as the File is already "Local" and you don't really want to "download" it.
You probably want to open that File in a 2nd Tab. You might first want to check from 'Windows Explorer' with which Program/Software the '.RTF' Extension has been associated, and if you manage to open that File manually in a Tab in the Browser without getting the 'Download' Popup.

(Same thing also with '.CSV' Files that have been associated with 'Excel'. But '.TXT' or '.LOG' Files that have been associated with 'Notepad' for example, or some '.XXX' "unknown" Extension will open fine in the Browser with 'URL GOTO=file:'...)
plinka

Post by plinka » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:08 pm

I am sorry for throwing multiple macros at you. The issues happens with all 40 or so macros, so from my point of view it doesn't matter which macro I try, I get the same behavior. But you are correct, I am not being consistent with you, I can be confusing the issues.

So, here is a screen shot of the Macro as I described originally, showing the same behavior.
loading-2.png
This is the error message after 60 seconds
RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: file:///C:/Windows/Media/chimes.wav, line: 27
You will notice that the error message never seems to coincide with the command, although the line number is correct for where the macro stalls.

Also, to answer chivracq, I have configured Chrome to open RTF files in Wordpad. Like I said, the document opens fine. If the macro would just keep going I would be happy. It is doing what it needs to do, iMacros just doesn't seem to realize it and stalls waiting for "something" I just don't know what.

Now the good news. The commands you suggested worked!!
SET !TIMEOUT_PAGE 1
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES

The Macro finished, although midway through the following error showed at the bottom of the screen:
RuntimeError: Page loading timeout, URL: file:///C:/Windows/Media/chimes.wav, line: 29

(again the Chimes line is still line 17, but whatever)

But it didn't stop and that is all I really want.

Unless you want to tell me why I get the the error, I am satisfied that this will be a work around I can live with.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Alright then, some "good News" though... :D

i had already mentioned '!ERRORIGNORE' btw in my first Reply, as it was also required for me in the v8.8.2 Version for FF I had first tested in, before Jessica Jones gave me the Courage to launch CR... :wink:

And hum, maybe another Workaround to avoid the local '.WAV' File for the Sound which seems to work not completely seamlessly and might "adversely affect your Intelligence Scripting Experience along your Automation Journey" like Microsoft seems to formulate all their Tech Articles nowadays :roll: , would be to use an "Online" Sound instead, like in the following Thread... :idea: