iMacros 12 not recording keystrokes or extracting data

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
shaves

iMacros 12 not recording keystrokes or extracting data

Post by shaves » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 pm

I’m creating a Excel macro with iMacros and VBA. I've done this before without too many issues on a number of web sites. I started off using the iMacros browser. I got about 1/2 way through entering data on the web page without any issues. So far so good.

This particular web page has a number of sections, e.g., Summary Info, Claim Info, Parts, Operations, Expenses, Comments, and Customer (in this order). When I got to the Parts, Operations, Expenses, Comments, and Customer sections, there is a toggle switch to hide / display the fields in that section. The Parts, Operations, and Expenses sections all display a minus sign (to hide the fields) but no fields are displayed. The Comments and Customer fields also display the minus sign but the fields in those sections are displayed. I haven't seen anything like that before.

I then changed the code to use iMacros with the IE browser. The good news is I can now see the missing fields in all of the sections now. I kicked off the macro and it got part way through the existing code and then I had an issue where it didn't extract the header I was looking for. I tried to use the sidebar but can’t use IMacros functionality, e.g., it won’t let me extract data and doesn’t record keystrokes like I normally can. It's almost like it is frozen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...………..shaves

I'm using Office 365 (Excel 2016)
iMacros 12.0.501.6698
Windows 10
64 bit OS
chivracq

Re: iMacros 12 not recording keystrokes or extracting data

Post by chivracq » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 pm

shaves wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 pm
I’m creating a Excel macro with iMacros and VBA. I've done this before without too many issues on a number of web sites. I started off using the iMacros browser. I got about 1/2 way through entering data on the web page without any issues. So far so good.

This particular web page has a number of sections, e.g., Summary Info, Claim Info, Parts, Operations, Expenses, Comments, and Customer (in this order). When I got to the Parts, Operations, Expenses, Comments, and Customer sections, there is a toggle switch to hide / display the fields in that section. The Parts, Operations, and Expenses sections all display a minus sign (to hide the fields) but no fields are displayed. The Comments and Customer fields also display the minus sign but the fields in those sections are displayed. I haven't seen anything like that before.

I then changed the code to use iMacros with the IE browser. The good news is I can now see the missing fields in all of the sections now. I kicked off the macro and it got part way through the existing code and then I had an issue where it didn't extract the header I was looking for. I tried to use the sidebar but can’t use IMacros functionality, e.g., it won’t let me extract data and doesn’t record keystrokes like I normally can. It's almost like it is frozen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...………..shaves

I'm using

Code: Select all

Office 365 (Excel 2016)
iMacros 12.0.501.6698
Windows 10
64 bit OS

Fouff..., a bit difficult to help you "precisely" without looking at the Site, I would think..., and you didn't post any Script, so it's a bit difficult to follow what your Script is supposed to do, and to have an "Idea" about the HTML Structure of that Site/Page... :(

A few "Things" you can try...:
- In iMB, try using the 'EVENT' Mode for the Toggle on the '+'/'-'.
- And in both Modes ('TAG' + 'EVENT'), try also if clicking not exactly on that '+'/'-' Switch but a bit next to it in the line of the Header in different places if that doesn't also trigger the Toggle Functionality..., there are usually several Levels of 'DIV' Elements wrapping each other...
- Even if the Sections don't extend to display the Data, the Data is probably already "in the Page", and iMacros can probably/possibly see and extract it, unless the Page is very heavy and the Content of a Section gets dynamically retrieved, which I doubt...

For the "frozen" part, I don't know... :P
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
shaves

Post by shaves » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for not sharing much info. I'm constrained in what I'm able to share. I'll try the things you suggest. I'm also trying to get the Chrome add-in to see if that will be of any help. If I get the Chrome add-in, will any field users also need it to run this macro? Or is the add-on only needed for developing the macro? Thanks for taking the time to respond...…..
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 pm

shaves wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:10 pm
Thanks for the reply. I apologize for not sharing much info. I'm constrained in what I'm able to share. I'll try the things you suggest. I'm also trying to get the Chrome add-in to see if that will be of any help. If I get the Chrome add-in, will any field users also need it to run this macro? Or is the add-on only needed for developing the macro? Thanks for taking the time to respond...…..
Concerning CR, well, it could be that the Macro recorded in CR and v10.0.5 for CR also works directly in iMB v12.0 and/or v12.0 for IE, but if it only works in CR, then yep, the Field Users will need to have CR + iMacros for CR v10.0.5 ('PE') installed, I think... And they'll probably need the 'FIO'-Module for 'File-Access' from the 'PE' Version for the "Connection" between your '.vba' Script in 'Excel' and iMacros in the Browser...
(I'm not too sure how it all works as I've never used iMB nor the 'Scripting Interface', you'll need to try by yourself or to get some Clarification from @TechSup...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
shaves

Post by shaves » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks again for your help and quick responses to my questions...…..
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 pm

shaves wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm
Thanks again for your help and quick responses to my questions...…..
:wink:
shaves

Post by shaves » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm back. I got iMacros for Chrome installed on my laptop so I can try an automate that troublesome website. I'm having trouble opening iMacros for Chrome like I use to do with the IM browser or the IE browser. Here is found I have come up with after doing some research.

Set iim1 = CreateObject("imacros")
iret = iim1.iimOpen("-cr", True)

It opens a Chrome session then waits a while, maybe 60 seconds and then it shuts down without executing the rest of the code like it did with IM or IE browsers.

I have Chrome version 77.

This is the first time I have tried iMacros for Chrome. Am I doing something wrong or does iMacros not cotrol Chrome like it does with IM or IE. (My best guess is that this is user error). Of course the macro I'm building needs to be completed by Friday, so of course there is no pressure trying to learn a new version of iMacros.

As always, thanks for your help...…….
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm

shaves wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm
I'm back. I got iMacros for Chrome installed on my laptop so I can try an automate that troublesome website. I'm having trouble opening iMacros for Chrome like I use to do with the IM browser or the IE browser. Here is found I have come up with after doing some research.

It opens a Chrome session then waits a while, maybe 60 seconds and then it shuts down without executing the rest of the code like it did with IM or IE browsers.

I have Chrome version 77.

This is the first time I have tried iMacros for Chrome. Am I doing something wrong or does iMacros not cotrol Chrome like it does with IM or IE. (My best guess is that this is user error). Of course the macro I'm building needs to be completed by Friday, so of course there is no pressure trying to learn a new version of iMacros.

As always, thanks for your help...…….

Euh..., yep, but you only mention "CR77"...
Like I had already mentioned in some previous Reply, you need to install the 'iMacros for CR' Add-on (v10.0.5, from the Chrome Store), and also the 'FIO'-Module for 'File-Access' from the v12.x 'PE' Version for iMB/IE and v10.0.x for FF and CR (=> 'FA' v10.0.2, from your 'iMacros/Ipswitch/Progress' Portal).

'FA' v10.0.2 was the Version for iMacros for FF v10.0.2 + iMacros for CR v10.0.5, iMacros for IE didn't have a 'Free'/'PE' Distinction then, it's possible that there is some later Version now to include v12.5 for IE, but that will probably be the only Version you can download from the Portal, and it will also of course be compatible for v10.0.x for FF and CR.

(And yep, the 'CreateObject()' + the 'iimOpen()' with the "cr" Param look correct to me...)
shaves

Post by shaves » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks...…….They installed iMacros for Chrome. Is that the add-on or is the add-on a different file? How can I tell if the Add-On has been installed?

They also installed the File Access Module (at least they said they did). how can I confirm that this has been installed? Also what does FIO stand for?

I appreciate your help and time in answer my questions...……….
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:07 pm

shaves wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:50 pm
Thanks...…….They installed iMacros for Chrome. Is that the add-on or is the add-on a different file? How can I tell if the Add-On has been installed?

They also installed the File Access Module (at least they said they did). how can I confirm that this has been installed? Also what does FIO stand for?

I appreciate your help and time in answer my questions...……….

Well, iMacros for CR is just a "standard" Browser Add-on..., hum Chrome seems to call them "Extensions"...
Direct Download Link/Page:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lemp?hl=en

Once it's installed, you must have some iMacros Icon "somewhere" in the Browser, and it is listed on the 'Extensions' Page in the Browser...
And you can record and play some Macro...

'FIO' = "File Input/Output", is the same like "(Local) File Access (Module)", 'FIO' was the original Name, @Dev later changed the Name several times, so yep, that's confusing when a Company changes the Names of their Product all the time...! Just like Chrome can't call their Add-ons "Add-ons", but call them now "Extensions"... Same also with "DDLB" ("Drop-Down List-Box"), "DropDown", "ComboBox", "SelectBox", etc..., for the last 25 years approx, nearly all Prog Languages each time gave it a different Name... I keep using myself "DDLB" which was the original Name given by 'Sybase' in 'PowerBuilder' to that GUI Element...

Without 'FA' Module, you only get the 'Free' Version.
Easy to test is for example:

SET !VAR4 Test<SP>'PE'<SP>Version...
PROMPT {{!VAR4}}
Only '!VAR[1-3]' are supported in the 'Free' Version...

I'm not sure what you mean by "they"..., first do the Installation/Testing yourself to know what to expect... :?
shaves

Post by shaves » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks. I would like to install and test the software myself. However, IT strictly controls what can be added to user's machines. It would make my life simpler if I could install this stuff. I tested it with the code you provided and it looks like I have the free version . VAR3 works but VAR4 doesn't.

So I guess it back to the drawing board to get the correct version.....ugghh….this seems to be much more complicated than it should be but...I guess it's job security.....lol

Thanks again for your help......
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 pm

shaves wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm
Thanks. I would like to install and test the software myself. However, IT strictly controls what can be added to user's machines. It would make my life simpler if I could install this stuff. I tested it with the code you provided and it looks like I have the free version . VAR3 works but VAR4 doesn't.

So I guess it back to the drawing board to get the correct version.....ugghh….this seems to be much more complicated than it should be but...I guess it's job security.....lol

Thanks again for your help......

Ah OK, I understand about "IT and Security", ah-ah...!

Yeah well, if you "only" have the 'Free' Version working for CR at the moment, it's probably a question of getting some License activated in order to "switch on" the 'PE' Version..., i reckon...
I don't really know how all this Licensing "Stuff" works (as I've always only used (previous) 'Free' Add-ons), but there is a complete 'FAQ' Section dedicated to it..., let me find it..., oh...!, easy, there is a complete 'Installation' Section about Installation and License...

And otherwise open a Ticket with @TechSup, I would think..., but they'll probably first send you towards the FAQ... :wink:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 am

+ Parallel Thread on SOF:
- Running iMacros for Chrome with VBA
(One Answer, (about IE Emulation), but which is only relevant for iMB, not for CR... (And iMB indeed uses those Settings, but that's pretty "Advanced Troubleshooting", although I once did some Digging about that for some Thread on the Forum... :twisted: Hum, I'm not sure anymore if it was for this Forum actually, many Progs use that same IE Emulation Func with those Settings...))

FCI on SOF is "not correct"..., v12.0 is not a Version for CR, only for iMB (+ 'SI') or IE... :?
shaves

Post by shaves » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks for the info and taking the time to share this information with me. This will be a big help...….
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 am

shaves wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Thanks for the info and taking the time to share this information with me. This will be a big help...….

From SOF...:
Qt from @OP:
I've developed a number of macros that use VBA to open iMacros and scrape / update various websites. Normally, I use the iMacros browser and occasionally the IE browser. I'm working on a new macro but the website does respond well to either the iMacros or IE browser.

I'm trying to user iMacros for Chrome. From what I have read, I should be able to open iMacros for Chrome like this:

However, it isn't working like I expect it to. It opens Chrome and then after about 60 seconds, it shuts Chrome down without executing any other commands in my macro.

Am I doing something wrong or is something not installed correctly? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first macro I'm developing with Chrome.

These are the settings I'm currently using:

Office 365 (Excel 2016) iMacros for Chrome 12.0.501.6698 Windows 10 64 bit OS Chrome version 77.
>>>

Answer Nb_1:
It might be an idea to check if your IE thing runs in compatibility mode. I've had same issues with the webbrowser control in VBA using Autocad. Even if IE was installed if I navigate to a website showing the browser version I got Stonehenge old IE6 shown. So this might also happen in your case. I am quite sure they just utilize the MS IE Engine. Here is a link which looks outdated but it's all the same: Same with Acces upgrade to IE 11 After I put acad.exe in the registry with the 11000 value Stonehenge was gone :)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
Add a key with the name of your running executable and the DWORD 11000. So it just might be an idea to investigate in the same direction.

answered Oct 8 at 21:16
Thomas Ludewig
43944 silver badges8

=> Answer accepted by @OP, meaning it's the correct Solution/Answer to their Qt... 8)

=> But hum..., @OP, OK, I'm a bit "surprised" that this Answer is "the Solution", and I don't "completely" understand to be honest, if you care to explain...? :?

>>>

Not my "Role" btw to go chasing Posts (and their Quality) + Answers and Follow-up on different Forums, and check they are synced... :roll:
=< OK, I will now wait for 24h before answering Threads either on our Forum, and certainly on SOF... :roll: