How do I timeout a "SEARCH" command?

Discussions and Tech Support related to website data extraction, screen scraping and data mining using iMacros.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
bb1000

How do I timeout a "SEARCH" command?

Post by bb1000 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm

System: macOS 10.14.6 with iMacros free on Google Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I currently have this code:

Code: Select all

VERSION BUILD=1005 RECORDER=CR
SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
SET !TIMEOUT 100000
SET !EXTRACT_TEST_POPUP NO
SEARCH SOURCE=REGEXP:"([A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5})" EXTRACT="$1"
SET !CLIPBOARD {{!EXTRACT}}
When I play it, it goes straight to "RuntimeError: Source does not match to REGEXP='([A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5})', line: 5" on some pages. I want to timeout this script so that whenever its posted it'll copy it to clipboard... For some reason the code isn't timing out, even though its in the code...?

Thanks in advance.
chivracq

Re: How do I timeout a "SEARCH" command?

Post by chivracq » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:36 pm

bb1000 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm
System:

macOS 10.14.6 with iMacros free on Google Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
SET !TIMEOUT 100000
SEARCH SOURCE=REGEXP:"([A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5})" EXTRACT="$1"
When I play it, it goes straight to "RuntimeError: Source does not match to REGEXP='([A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5})', line: 5" on some pages. I want to timeout this script so that whenever its posted it'll copy it to clipboard... For some reason the code isn't timing out, even though its in the code...?

Thanks in advance.

Hum..., quoting this one before you'll delete it again as you "progress"... Pfff..., let me think...
This Post was already "perfect" in your previous Thread from where you've deleted it... (and its previous Version) :shock: , but hum, OK..., it's fine also as a separate Standalone Thread..., and the Thread Title is very good about the specific Issue...
And you've opened this Thread in the correct Sub-Forum, very good... :D (I'm "waiting" for the Forum Admin to move your first Thread to the 'Data Extraction' Sub-Forum as well, I can't do it myself...)

:arrow: But you also need to "finish" your previous Thread "a bit correctly" (and useful for other Users) and to post your Solution/Script in that Thread also, + link to this current Thread as a "Follow-up Thread" for the 'Timeout' Issue for 'SEARCH' that you encounter on some Pages... :!:
Last edited by chivracq on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Ummm... I deleted it because you weren't replying on the other thread...So thought that someone else could help me? What's the issue here? It's a new thread with a new issue... How can I post my solution if i dont have one yet? That's why I'm asking how to timeout a search command that I could go back to my thread and show people the final solution... :roll:
And come back anyway, to also post/share your Final/Working Script... 8)
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:36 pm

bb1000 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:40 pm
Ummm... I deleted it because you weren't replying on the other thread...So thought that someone else could help me? What's the issue here? It's a new thread with a new issue... How can I post my solution if i dont have one yet? That's why I'm asking how to timeout a search command that I could go back to my thread and show people the final solution... :roll:
And come back anyway, to also post/share your Final/Working Script... 8)

Yeah well, I wasn't replying because I'm not always "available", ah-ah...!, (hum, and I also have very limited and "unreliable" Access to Internet, which is actually one of the main Reasons I became such an "Advanced" User with iMacros) and you never posted any URL, so I can't do any Testing...
And I don't use the 'SEARCH' Command for myself, I explained I prefer "other Methods"...

And I only "saw" your first Post (from the 2 that you deleted), for which I thought from a quick look that only 1 Double Quote was missing (or had 1 too much) around the "$1" which can be with or without Double Quotes and you didn't really need "my Help" to find out this "Typo", I thought...

Fine to open this current Thread as a "Sub-Thread"/"Follow-up Thread" but you need to post an Update in your first Thread with a Link to this one for Users following that Thread... I don't help further otherwise in "next" Thread(s) when any previous Thread(s) is/are in Status "Waiting for Follow-up from @OP"... :idea:

And your first Thread is about finding a way to search for "XXXXX-(x5)" Strings, so the 'SEARCH' + 'REGEXP' Statement you've posted is "already" a Solution to that Scenario, as you mention you only get the RuntimeError and the Timeout Issue "on some Pages", so that means it works "on other Pages", and that 'REGEXP' is thus a "correct Solution" for the first Thread... :P
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Oh I see my bad, apologies for that. As I’ve previously said, I’m quite new to this so I apologies for these mistakes. That’s why I’m glad I found this forum for people with experience to help me, so that I can learn and hopefully help other people in this forum too 8) I have posted the solution on my previous thread just now :wink: As I told you on the previous thread there is no specific url, I want this to work on all urls. I just need a command that will timeout the script until the format is found. Now it's just the issue with timeout on my script :( This usually works with TAG but not sure why it won't work with SEARCH... Any ideas regarding that?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your time and help! :)
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 am

The reason it didn’t work on other pages was because the source wasn’t there. That’s why I want it to timeout and then once it finds the regex it runs the script, that is why my timeout is so high, so it’s as if it’s monitoring the page until it’s found. I’m really struggling with this, I’ve been looking everywhere to find a way to timeout the search command, but can’t find anything. I appreciate the help. Thank you.
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:57 am

I would appreciate feedback from anyone with knowledge about this. Trying to find a fix as soon as possible, as I'm sitting here biting my fingernails with no clue about how to timeout this command... Nothing on the web about it... :roll: Thanks again :D
chivracq

Mini-Testing - Disregard (for the moment)...

Post by chivracq » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:26 am

NX_G4K-YRLVF-44JLD-KH5H2-ZBBX7

>>>

XX4_XX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Last edited by chivracq on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:31 am

bb1000 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 pm
Oh I see my bad, apologies for that. As I’ve previously said, I’m quite new to this so I apologies for these mistakes. That’s why I’m glad I found this forum for people with experience to help me, so that I can learn and hopefully help other people in this forum too 8) I have posted the solution on my previous thread just now :wink: As I told you on the previous thread there is no specific url, I want this to work on all urls. I just need a command that will timeout the script until the format is found. Now it's just the issue with timeout on my script :( This usually works with TAG but not sure why it won't work with SEARCH... Any ideas regarding that?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your time and help! :)
bb1000 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 am
The reason it didn’t work on other pages was because the source wasn’t there. That’s why I want it to timeout and then once it finds the regex it runs the script, that is why my timeout is so high, so it’s as if it’s monitoring the page until it’s found. I’m really struggling with this, I’ve been looking everywhere to find a way to timeout the search command, but can’t find anything. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Yeah, "No specific URL", ah-ah...!, nice try...! :roll: , a Script that depends on some specific Content on a Page is already "URL-Specific" to me, and I still don't know if your 'Discord' Chat-Things get updated IRT or upon a Refresh... :?
(My Testing further/below is based on 'Refresh', I didn't have an IRT Content-Update Site to test with...)

But OK, I was able to check that the Script you had posted in your previous Thread and in this one, works fine for the 'SEARCH' + 'REGEXP', with the 'XXXXX-(x5)' being present or not, on this current Forum Page and the one from your previous Thread... as you never posted any URL's, those 2 are the only ones I could use to test... :|
(Fair enough, but don't come complaining that my Tests are not "representative" for your Env., I asked you several Times about some URL(s) to do some specific Testing... :P )

Using my previous Post in this Thread ("Mini-Testing etc...") (and editing it several times for the 2 String(s) to be found/not found), yep, the Script will perfectly wait according to '!TIMEOUT_STEP' / '!TIMEOUT_PAGE', (I kept the deprecated '!TIMEOUT' Setting in my Tests, as my FCI supports it)...
=> It works fine to me, I don't see any Timeout Pb...

Script I used for my Testing:

'SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
SET !TIMEOUT 100000
'SET !EXTRACT_TEST_POPUP NO
PROMPT CLIPBOARD:<BR><BR>_{{!CLIPBOARD}}_
(Tested in iMacros for FF v8.8.2, PM v26.3.3, Win10_x64.)

=> For the Timeout Issue, I would start the Script with none of the 2 Strings to match the 'XXXXX-(5)' 'REGEXP', then while the Script was still running (10,000 Sec = nearly 3 Hours, still OK, even with my "shitty" Connection, ah-ah...!), I went editing my previous Post into an "expected" String, for both Test-Strings, which each time occurred and triggered a Match as soon as the Page had finished saving...

But OK, I can't reproduce your Issue, this Command works fine for me..., in a completely different FCI, OK, there could be Differences or a Bug in your Version, I'm more inclined to think it rather comes from your "non-URL-specific Site(s)", ah-ah...!

(I still find it (= 'SEARCH') a bit "useless" btw, and you can only get the 1st Match, ah-ah...!? :shock: , "my" own Solutions are much more powerful/flexible, rhooo...! :twisted: )

>>>

And @OP, I don't know where you got this '!TIMEOUT' Command from, it's been deprecated for about 8 years now, you should be answering all Threads on the Forum by now like me if you've been using iMacros for so long, ah-ah...! 8) , or maybe you "got it" from some "obscure" Wannabee-Hacker Site where "they exchange SN's", ah-ah...! :roll:
But you should check the Wiki when you blindly copy some Script from some "other" "obscure" User on Internet, except on our Forum... 8)

>>>

=> Oh and then: FCIM...! :mrgreen:
Yes, again..., your iMacros Version is missing..., I didn't say anything when you posted it on your parallel Thread to your previous Thread on SOF, because it was then "pretty logical" you were very probably using v10.0.5, but this is not the Case anymore in this current Thread as you don't mention it clearly in your FCI, only post it "by hazard" in your Script, which thus contains some Command(s) deprecated for 8 years already, oops...! :?
=> Please post your FCI when you open a Thread on the Forum, and the "F" in "FCI" stands for 'FULL"... :idea:
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I have been using the latest version from the Google Extension Store. Not sure what your saying about the ‘!TIMEOUT’ command and if you’re implying that it doesn’t work anymore...because I’ve been using it on my other scripts and they’re working just fine :lol:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:59 pm

bb1000 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:50 pm
I have been using the latest version from the Google Extension Store. Not sure what your saying about the ‘!TIMEOUT’ command and if you’re implying that it doesn’t work anymore...because I’ve been using it on my other scripts and they’re working just fine :lol:

Your OP in this Thread mentioned:
bb1000 wrote:
System: macOS 10.14.6 with iMacros free on Google Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)
... where the iMacros Version is missing...! :roll:
... With "iMacros free on Chrome" but this is vague as there are 4 "iMacros free on Chrome" Versions, and yep some "v10.0.5" Version can be seen in your Script, and this is indeed the current/latest Version, but you need to mention clearly that Version in your FCI. That's my Point...

>>>

About '!TIMEOUT', I'm saying that this Command has been deprecated for about 8 years and that you should use the "correct" Command instead (which is '!TIMEOUT_PAGE'), and that you are "nearly lucky" that it still works... :o

>>>

But hum, OK, just "to be sure", I also went testing in "your" v10.0.5 for CR 'Free' Version, and ah-ah...!, I do notice some different Behaviour indeed, and now I understand your "Issue", ah-ah...! :twisted:

In my Tests, it looks like the 'SEARCH' Command totally ignores any '!TIMEOUT_xxx' Settings and always behaves like if '!TIMEOUT_STEP' ="0" (or if '!TIMEOUT_PAGE' ="1"). It never waits...! The Check/Search on the Source is only done once, and the Script aborts directly (with '!ERRORIGNORE=NO') or goes further (with '!ERRORIGNORE=YES') while in both Cases (still) displaying the RuntimeError:
RuntimeError: Source does not match to REGEXP='([A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5}-[A-Z0-9]{5})', line: 5
(Tested on iMacros for CR v10.0.5 'Free', CR76, Win10_x64.)

Hum, OK..., I am not "too surprised", I wouldn't really call it a "Bug", it could be by Design, even if that would indeed be a bit "of a pity" if '!TIMEOUT_xxx' gave some extra Control in v8.8.2, that has been lost in v10.0.5 for CR.
And I will alert @TechSup about it, if they want to have a Look, and "state" about it... :wink:

But then, tja, even if that Functionality gets "corrected" in some later Version, which will take a while of course, you would need to live with it, and simply have your Script to loop regularly to check again maybe every 10 Sec for example... :idea:
But as you are using the 'Free' Version, you'll only be able to loop your Script Max 100 Times, which would give you about 66 Min of "Autonomy", or make it every 30 Sec to "reach" your original 3 Hours with '!TIMEOUT'/'!TIMEOUT_PAGE' ="100000".
Or consider getting the 'PE' Version, which would allow you to loop your Script indefinitely..., ah-ah...! :idea:

As a possible Workaround, you might "think" about trying on FF70/71 with v10.0.2 for FF ('Free'), but I expect you'll probably get the same Behaviour (I didn't test), as v10.0.2 for FF was built on the same Core Core like v10.0.5 for CR. :|

Another thinkable Workaround would then be to use v8.9.7 for FF (+ FF v55.0.3 or any of the Browsers forked on FF that didn't adopt the WebExtensions Architecture, like PM28, 'Basilisk', 'WaterFox', etc...), but, hum..., nope...! Bad luck, ah-ah...!! :twisted:

I did some Testing on v8.9.7 for FF + FF v55.0.3 + Win10_x64, and the Results seem to be "even worse" than on v10.0.5 for CR, ah-ah...! :shock:
The '!TIMEOUT_xxx' Settings do get "respected" by v8.9.7, => the String is not found (yet), then the Script will "neatly" wait according to the '!TIMEOUT_PAGE/STEP' Setting, but it will then simply hang for ever upon refreshing the Page (manually) from the Browser, oops...! Even after the '!TIMEOUT_STEP' Setting has been finished (I shortened 'TIMEOUT_PAGE' to "=1000" => 100 Sec for '!TIMEOUT_STEP'), the Script still hangs and doesn't move forward anymore...
So here we have a "real Bug", ah-ah...! :shock:
I thought it could be related to the fact that I was editing my 'Test Post' in this Thread from PM26, and that that could play a Role, but I also got the same Hanging if I edited that Post directly from FF55 itself also.

So it looks like this 'SEARCH' Command has changed in Behaviour quite a bit over time, from v8.8.2 for FF => v8.9.7 for FF => v10.0.5 for CR. :o

And the Behaviour that you want, is the one found in v8.8.2 for FF, which is the Version I use myself for most of my "Prod"-Scripts (+ PM v26.3.3), that could be a Workaround for you, but that Version/FCI is getting "pretty old" now (Decb 2019), especially PM26, and I'm very probably the only one on the Forum using that FCI, not too mention that many "fancy"/"modern" Sites don't work "properly" anymore in this Browser... :| (But last time I checked (maybe 1 year ago), 'Discord' Servers were still working in it...)
(But I keep using it for some specific Functionality "I need", and that got broken in v8.9.7 for FF from FF52... (About the 'FILTER' Command.))

But maybe without going back to PM26, you also have PM27 that used to work normally with v8.8.7 for FF. :idea:
I don't have this FCI myself, so I didn't test, but I would expect v8.8.7 to rather "behave" like "my" v8.8.2 for FF Version, than v8.9.7 for FF...

>>>

So OK, I'll "soft"-alert @TechSup about your Thread, and this "possible" Bug, or at least Change in Behaviour between several Versions, which is not documented, and the Wiki even doesn't mention anything about all '!TIMEOUT_xxx' Settings and how the 'SEARCH' Command is supposed to behave with them... So we already have a (Documentation) "Bug" here anyway...! :P
Last edited by chivracq on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:08 am

Thanks a lot for your help :) finally you found what I found :D appreciate everything. I will try out those versions :idea:
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am

Hum, posting in a separate Post, as I see you are already checking the Thread, but another Workaround would be to "go back" to extracting the whole Source of the Page (or of some specific HTML Elements) with 'TAG' + 'EXTRACT=HTM', and to implement your own 'SEARCH' Func yourself with 'EVAL()', you already have the "correct" 'REGEXP' for that Func...
Hum, but you'll still have to loop your Script, because the 'TAG' Mode will always extract "stg" and the Script won't wait either...

Or Idea that I had already mentioned earlier, integrate your 'REGEXP' in the 'TAG' + 'XPATH' Mode, that could/should work, I think... :idea:
bb1000

Post by bb1000 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:20 am

The problem with the “loop” function is that if it’s looping and the code that I need comes up, then the loop will copy that code up until the loop is done. So it’ll copy it over and over again. Not just once.

I’ll definitely have a look at your previous post and find a workaround when I’m home :)
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:40 pm

bb1000 wrote:

SET !ERRORIGNORE YES
SET !TIMEOUT 100000

Thanks in advance.
chivracq wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:59 pm
Hum, OK..., I am not "too surprised", I wouldn't really call it a "Bug", it could be by Design, even if that would indeed be a bit "of a pity" if '!TIMEOUT_xxx' gave some extra Control in v8.8.2, that has been lost in v10.0.5 for CR.
And I will alert @TechSup about it, if they want to have a Look, and "state" about it... :wink:
This is confirmed to be a bug that affects the current versions of iMacros for Chrome and Firefox. Thanks for reporting it here bb1000, and thanks for suggesting the workarounds chivracq!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support