imacro, IP, and detection

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
melhoff13

imacro, IP, and detection

Post by melhoff13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello all, glad to be a new member.

So, I made myself a little imacro to automate voting in an online contest. After lots of google research, I was able to get it up and running very well. Now, the radio station hosting the contest has posted a new message in regards to using bots for voting. I guess my question is, is there a way they can tell I am using an imacro to automate my voting? I normally use Easy Hide IP and change my IP every minute automatically to mask the IP, so it should seem as though the votes are coming from different IP's.

I'm not asking anyone to help me cheat. I am asking if its possbile for the station to find out I am using an imacro and use that against me. The site is below and, although, I'm not in a band, I do have one I fancy and try to vote as many times a day as the site will let me. The imacro is just easier to use instead of me sitting at the desk clicking refresh all the dang time.

http://www.94rock.com/pages/WhoWillPlay ... t2010.html

Oh yea, if you check out the website...please vote for my favorite band Destroy To Recreate.

Thanks in advance.
Tom, Tech Support

Re: imacro, IP, and detection

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi melhoff,

There's no way to guarantee that your automation won't be detected. It depends on how sophisticated the host site is in terms of detecting bots/macros. The only thing you can control in iMacros is which browser it identifies itself as. See the following:

http://wiki.imacros.net/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I ... orer.29.3F

Of course, we don't encourage/support/or assist with any requests where the host has explicitly banned the use of bots/automation.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support